Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cocoa fruit?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 21, 2011 02:31AM

A friend just posted some pics of his trip to Machu Pichu and beyond and this was one of them

Here's what he had to say about it

"The juicy white mango/lemon flavoured flesh covers the cocoa bean. The flesh is removed and the bean is fermented or dried and crushed into cocoa nibs or made into cocoa liqour,cocoa butter, etc."

I asked him if they eat the fruit and he said he didn't know but he sure ate some and it was great! Now I want some cocoa fruit, forget the inedible seeds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2011 02:33AM by coco.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cocoa fruit?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 21, 2011 02:41AM

It looks weird, and sounds delicious!!! lol... looks almost like giant mutated corn kernals...lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: merry ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:33AM

i have tried some cocoa fruit. It is pretty tasty but i dont think I could eat a lot of it in one go...fruit bats / squirrels here like it. why are the seeds inedible??

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 21, 2011 01:51PM

Just like coffee humans have found a way to eat cacao even though neither are particularly healthy. There are those who rave about the virtues of either coffee or cacao but they are both powerful stimulants and in no way edible in their natural form which to me is an indication that we aren't meant to eat them.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 21, 2011 11:45PM

You may be entirely right coco, im soooo still gonna continue eating the occasional bit of extra dark chocolate though... I love it...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: josephofgrind ()
Date: January 22, 2011 12:41AM

I want to know where I can get one of those it looks tasty.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 22, 2011 12:40PM

The stimulant aspect is really the only downside to cacao, those who dont suffer from anxiety or conditions such as adrenal gland dysfunction would have no problem with the occasional cacao based product.

For there weight they are one if not the richest source of anti-oxidants, magnesium, mood boosting compounds etc.

Even saying that the stimulant aspect showed in a couple of studies that the caffeine contained doesnt actually work in the traditional way of stimulating you, no increased heart rate etc was observed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 12:41PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 22, 2011 10:41PM

dang i sure wouldl like to try that fruit smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables