Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Source for raw almonds?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 21, 2011 02:59PM

So I'm new here and still trying to get the hang of navigating around the forum... I couldn't find much about sources for truly raw almonds - I do know that those you find in stores are pasteurized and it takes some searching to find the raw ones from Italy.

Anyway, where do you all get your raw almonds?

thanks so much for your help!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Source for raw almonds?
Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:46PM

I know, it's tricky. If you do an extensive google search you should be able to find some California farms that ship directly to consumers. Also, I've had goo luck with this source from New York: [www.turquoisebarn.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 21, 2011 07:51PM

The thing that always gets me is the extra cost for shipping. One thing I have decided to do (when I have the money to use for this purpose) is to post fliers up around town asking people to go in on this with me. You get better deals by ordering higher amounts and then you can split the shipping cost, as well! Maybe even go on here and tell where you're from...

Posted by: josephofgrind ()
Date: January 22, 2011 12:44AM

So what your saying is if I go to the co-op or Whole Foods to get raw almonds they arn't true raw almonds? Isn't that kind of deseaving?

Date: January 22, 2011 02:50PM

They are not raw to the standards that most raw-foodists prefer (at least as far as I know). There was a law back in 07 I think that requires all almonds coming out of CA to be pasteurized. Ca produces something like 85% of the world's almonds and just about everything in stores is from there.

Pasteurized almonds are still allowed to be called raw - I think it only heats the skin of the almond or something to kill off bacteria, but it is still apparently enough to disable it's ability to be a true living food and to sprout.

So yes, if you get your almonds from WF, they are not truly raw - Co-ops might be different depending on where they are sourcing the almonds.

Date: January 24, 2011 09:28PM

Although... I noticed in my local "Whole Paycheck" (evil, union-busting company that I'm ashamed to say I ever support with my dollars) that there were actually raw almonds from Italy. Since they're imported, I assume they're truly raw. However, that doesn't mean they haven't been sitting around on shelves for- who knows, maybe years. Ordering online is much better. But, yes, the expensive shipping issue! I admire anyone who actually goes to the trouble of putting up fliers around town to organize a group buy! :-) Once I got my local raw food meet-up to go in on a group buy. It saved money, and everyone was pleased.

Posted by: JoshuaGray ()
Date: January 24, 2011 10:13PM

rawbunch@gmail.com

$60 for a 5lbs bag of truly raw almonds. I think that includes shipping.

Originaland.tumblr.com

[www.facebook.com]

Date: January 26, 2011 01:44PM

Thanks.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 26, 2011 05:59PM

milkmom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyway, where do you all get your raw almonds?
NutsOnline.com has truly Raw, Organic Almonds.
They're from Spain.....WY
P.S. Don't look at the price.

[www.nutsonline.com]

Date: January 29, 2011 05:43PM

Thanks everyone!!!

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: January 29, 2011 05:55PM

Where do you live??? I buy them direct from the farmer. My almonds and walnuts are local. It solved that whole problem. Jeez, I could start a business just seeling truly raw nuts. I live in nut country!!!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: January 29, 2011 06:08PM

You should do it, via PM quietly and selectively. At least we'd know we could really trust the source if it's all been checked out by someone who understands our standards!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables