Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

oil pulling
Posted by: TerrryR ()
Date: January 23, 2011 04:58AM

Does anyone have any info on oil pulling or success stories. Limited info on line.
Curious as to whether it works or is a hoax. Supposedly speeds up metabolism and draws harmful bacteria in the form of mucous from our bodies.

TR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: oil pulling
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 23, 2011 05:04AM

i cant tell you if it speeds up metabolism as i have been doing alot of things over many years to reach that conclusion. I also cant tell you that it draws harmful bacteria from my body as i have no evidence to back that up smiling smiley

i can tell you that i have experienced the following:

stronger feeling teeth and gums
whighter teeth
less smelly plaque
less visual plaque
less evidence of cavaties
stronger feeling teeth

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 23, 2011 10:36AM

I also experienced similar success and benefits such as Jodi has above.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 23, 2011 02:03PM

jodi,

what type of oil do you use?

Date: January 23, 2011 04:47PM

i was using sesame but found it left a bit of weird aftertaste and switched to hemp smiling smiley

Date: January 23, 2011 05:43PM

i use sunflower oil but have tried many others, i still feel sunflower has been the best.

Date: January 23, 2011 08:35PM

i think its a good thing too especially after a meal as it really gets the saliva going which should help with buffering against tooth decay .. , i eat a ton of sweet fruit and smoothies and have had no problem with cavaties in years smiling smiley

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 24, 2011 03:42AM

anybody here use grape seed oil to do this? also, ive read your supposed to do it for 30 minutes a day...does one really have to do it for that long?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 24, 2011 03:56AM

Seriously you guys? I always thought this was such a load of bunk. Tell me more please, you peeps I trust not to be fruity airheads so if you say it's worked for you I'm interested.

Date: January 24, 2011 11:07AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seriously you guys? I always thought this was such
> a load of bunk. Tell me more please, you peeps I
> trust not to be fruity airheads so if you say it's
> worked for you I'm interested.

There was a time in my life when i was extremely toxic my diet was so poor and due to low thyroid i wasnt going to the toilet enough, my liver was not coping with all the booze and drugs some pharmaceutical, so i was feeling crap always, i tried oil pulling and definitely felt better.

And like jodi says the mouth health benefits are worth it enough, my teeth were quite yellow from smoking cigarettes and they whitened them, my gums felt better also.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 24, 2011 02:31PM

powerlifer, you know, I really admire you, man. You set a great example smiling smiley

I am beginning oil pulling in February, as the previous fit of it I had didn't take: I couldn't decide on an oil because I couldn't find a manufacturer of bulk cold pressed sunflower or sesame oil at a reasonable price. I should think grapeseed oil would work well, but would be prohibitively expensive. I'm starting with sesame and then maybe switching to sunflower, if the people at Hain Naturals can assure me that it's hexane-free. I know, I know--it's always something . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 02:32PM by Tamukha.

Date: January 24, 2011 02:47PM

Cheers tamukha ive came along way from those horrible days where i wanted things to endsmiling smiley.

I never seen your post curator, 15-20 minutes is whats recommended, alot of times i fail because i cant swish no more without swallowing some and you dont want to swallow incase theres any bacteria.

also its recommended that you dont spit the oil down your sink due to clogging and incase any bacteria/pathogens etc are contained in the oil.

Posted by: TerrryR ()
Date: January 24, 2011 05:30PM

Thanks for the responses and I hope to hear more testimonials, good or bad. I have practiced oil pulling pretty regularly for the past eight weeks but it is done in conjunction with improved diet (more raw fruit and veggies and juice). I have noticed some improvement in mental clarity but I'm not sure that I can specifically relate it to the oil pulling. Thanks again for the responses.
TR

Date: January 24, 2011 06:54PM

I think the case it helped me so much because i was so toxic, i reckon i was suffering from auto-toxicity aswell as multiple other problems, so each little factor i added i noticed big relief. Far infrared sauna is another great tool pending that you re-mineralize yourself afterwards.

Date: January 24, 2011 08:15PM

i actually do it several times a day usually after eating something .. i guess this is a *brushing after every meal* habit i was indoctrined into at a young age .. i only brush now in the morning and before bed ..unless ive eaten something that needs help extracting from my teeth

back to oil pulling , i do it several times a day ..i just take a shwish from the bottle and swish while i go pee .. continue swishing while im fussing with my hair and washing my hands after going pee .. then spit an carry on ..

6 x 5 min a day = 30 min smiling smiley i dont feel you need to get the benefits by doing a marathon 30min swish .. id have way too mush spit an oil a foam in my mouth by then to even make it comfortable smiling smiley

Date: January 24, 2011 08:19PM

Jodi, im sure i read in some ayuvedic books that it should be done an hour or so before or after eating, nowhere has gave any information as to why this is the case.

Date: January 24, 2011 08:23PM

i couldnt POSSIBLY do it for an hour lol smiling smiley im guessing the *before* meals thing would be to start the digestion process going before adding food

yes i could see that as a benefit smiling smiley

oops just re-read what you said and hour Before .. not for an HOUR before lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 08:31PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 24, 2011 08:31PM

Hmmm, Jodi, middle paragraph--TMI!

Final paragraph--"6 x 5 minutes a day=30 min"--just enough info smiling smiley

I think what powerlifer means regarding swishing for an hour before eating is that one commence oil pulling at least an hour before consuming food, not that one actually oil pull for an hour straight before consuming food. I mean, I don't want to have a jaw like Arnold Shwarzenegger. Or Maria Shriver, for that matter . . .

Date: January 24, 2011 08:33PM

lol sorry Tam .. i like to multitask .. i think people get daunted by apparent *rules* sorry for the TMI grinning smiley

i agree i mis-read it lol

Date: January 24, 2011 09:14PM

Sorry that was poorly worded, what i meant was that your not meant to oil pull straight after eating or straight before.

Its meant to be an hour away from food.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 25, 2011 06:25AM

tam, the grape seed oil I get is cheaper than cheap olive oil, I payed like $12 for a gallon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 25, 2011 07:49AM

this is a strange thing
but it is true
i did the oil swishing thing just once in my life
when i was in horrible pain due to a sports injury
and i did notice that it did help to calm my mind and decrease the pain

its been a long time and the pain has permanently left me and i'm pain free
but i never did forget that one episode that seemed like it would last forever

also makes me feel grateful for being healthy and without pain
wow.. what a gift

but that oil swishing thing ( which i also used to laugh at and think it was just a big fat joke... )

i do believe there is something to it

i did it just because i heard it reduces pain

but then i stopped cuz i had no more pain

but hey... maybe i'll look into it again for all the other benefits

it couldn't hurt grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables