Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

smoothie question
Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: January 24, 2011 12:34PM

Hismiling smiley I usually have green smoothies but for a change would like to do something with cacoa. What expactly do I need to purchase and what is a good concoction?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: smoothie question
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 24, 2011 01:10PM

There are a number of different cacao products you could use but the most common you would use in a smoothie would either be raw cacao powder or raw cacao nibs.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 24, 2011 07:38PM

Februarygirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hismiling smiley I usually have green smoothies but for a
> change would like to do something with cacoa.
Don't do it!! I imagine it can be very addictive.
Nuts too. It would take a highly disciplined person to control
them both. I've given up all Nuts, and only eat Flax Seeds now.
Never did start Cacoa.....WY

Date: January 24, 2011 07:50PM

Its not as addictive as people make out, im not a great fan of cacao products as im still quite sensitive to stimulants and they can cause me to get panicky. But now and again theres nothing wrong with a little cacao use pending you dont have anxiety or a condition such as adrenal fatigue.

Nuts on the other hand have no problems and i have never read about an addiction to nuts, there is no potential chemical contained in nuts that would cause this over any other food.

Flax seeds are a very poor choice compared to other nuts in that there a source of goitrogens so can cause potential thyroid issues.

Date: January 24, 2011 08:09PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> Flax seeds are a very poor choice compared to
> other nuts in that there a source of goitrogens so
> can cause potential thyroid issues.
What Nuts would you recommend? I feel I should take
in a small amount of Fat, and I don't like Avocados.....WY

Date: January 24, 2011 08:18PM

I vary my nut intake pretty regularly i also use seeds aswell such as chia and hemp occasionally.

I usually take around 2 brazil nuts a day as there a good source of selenium and studies have shown 2 is enough regularly for the therapeutic benefits of selenium. Other than that almonds, walnuts, cashew are the ones i regularly eat.

Personally ive always done better on a moderate fat diet rather than low.

Date: January 24, 2011 10:45PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> ..... Other than that almonds, walnuts,
> cashew are the ones i regularly eat.
In your honor I'm having 6 Almonds in my
evening Green Smoothie.....WY

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 25, 2011 01:53AM

Actually, one brazil nut a day would probably be enough. Also, most nuts have a poor omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Some of the better choices of fats for getting omega-3 would be hemp seeds, chia seeds, or walnuts. Flax seeds are high in omega-3, but I don't think they are a great food (I get a bit of sore throat from eating them).

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 25, 2011 01:58AM

I eat a brazil nut every 3 days or so. ONE brazil nut. That's all I need.

Cacao is addictive and stimulating. I would suggest NO to minimal use.

Date: January 25, 2011 03:01AM

Thanks for all of that advice! It may not be a good idea since I have only been off sugar for 3 weeks. I am also still addicted to caffeine...in a very large way! I'm just really intrigued by cacao and thought I would try it once. As for nuts...I love them dearly but I want to lose a few pounds and my energy is better without them so I've been avoiding them for the most part.

Date: January 25, 2011 03:13AM

If you're still drinking coffee or espresso, cacao may be a way to wean yourself off of that, as a transition food; but it's not an everyday food, IMO. smiling smiley

Date: January 25, 2011 03:44AM

Thank you...good to keep in mind. As for the nut/seed issue, I am having a hard time sorting that out. For now I really wish to keep things simple...green smoothies, cut up fruit and veggies, massaged kale or other greens, and a few nuts now and then. What is your opinion of wheatgrass and other super foods?

Date: January 25, 2011 10:38AM

Like i say a now and again treat of raw chocolate bar or cacao will do no harm, and cacao is rich in antioxidants etc.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2011 12:55PM

If you're eating a calorie restricted diet straight off I think super foods (by super I mean super nutrient dense) like wheatgrass juice are a good way to get enough nutrients. Green juices and smoothies are good too as that is often more than you could eat in a sitting. The juice is very concentrated with out fiber as well for easier digestion (so long as you chew that juice well before swallowing).
Remember that you have to meet at least your minimum caloric needs to be able to lose weight, if you aren't getting enough your body will be very reluctant to let anything go. Exercise is essential as well and meeting that increased caloric need at the same time.

Date: January 25, 2011 02:27PM

If you read the actual nutrition lable of wheatgrass (as opposed to general claims w/o references), it is not so great compared to dark green leafy vegetables. I find that the REAL superfoods are in the produce section. smiling smiley

Posted by: merry ()
Date: January 25, 2011 02:44PM

I'm finding good results from moringa powder as a green supplement - feel more effect than I did even with fresh wheatgrass juice. But I would agree fresh leafy greens are better if you can afford enough of them and get organic ones...
I love cacao but I am sure it is addictive for some people like myself so would agree with what is said here - have now and then as a treat not as a thing to have really regularly.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 25, 2011 03:04PM

Call me cynical but any product that is branded as a superfood is making someone a lot of money!!! I agree with Utopian Life - good quality fresh food is the way to go. As always there is great advice on here about the nutrient values of seeds and nuts.
I tried cacoa when I first went raw but like powerlifer it made me buzzy which was really horrible - felt like palpitations and anxiety for hours - very unpleasant. However I do not drink tea or coffee and so if you are weaning yourself off coffee you may not notice these side effects.
I don't know how addictive it is - it certainly wasn't for me!!! but it is very expensive for not much gain as far as I can see - personally I think you are better off spending the money that you might out lay on 'superfoods' on lovely fresh fruit etc.

Date: January 25, 2011 04:46PM

As someone who has alot of benefits using "superfoods" such as chlorella for heavy metal removal, when it would have took me years with pectins from fruits and vegetables etc.

I must agree i dont really like any food being branded a superfood, but thats they way the health movement has gone. There are some foods better than others but really it is a variety that you need for health, solely living off food would be crazy.

I see even dried fruit such as goji berry got considered a supplement in this thread, in my point of view like i say goji is just a dried fruit that i enjoy the taste of and luckily its nutrient rich and good for you.

Posted by: merry ()
Date: January 25, 2011 05:36PM

I dont seem to get any major stimulant effect from cocoa whereas I normally feel the effects of a cup of tea pretty strongly...
I dont think I'd find cocoa addictive if it was blended with other things in a smoothie and no strong chocolate taste...
But if you use it made into a raw food chocolate with nuts, dates, coconut oil etc. it tastes like a really great dark chocolate brownie and I could tell the taste could get addictive....I'm lucky because I have a cheap supply of organic cocoa beans here but even so I dont eat too many of them...

Date: January 25, 2011 06:51PM

Very good and objective advice! Thank you all. In all of my recent research I am on info overload and i do see the trend for some to advocate strongly for the use of "superfoods" to further their own personal financial gain, so I have found myself being very cautious and not running out and getting all of the trendy superfoods. I really love the advice to spend my family's hard earned and stretched thin grocery budget on good helathy fruits and vegetables. I've been off sugar for over 3 wks now. Amazingly, I am not craving sugar much. I'm sure this is due to such a high intake of fruit. Its very liberating! i think cacao appeals to me because it sounds like such a treat. I did make some raw balls which are delicious and my kids love them, but again, until I drop 10 lbs. I am keeping it limited. I think I take in plenty of calories as my dinners are still partially cooked with pasta, rice or beans included. Thanks again everyone!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables