Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

water retention?
Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: January 30, 2011 02:46PM

I seem to be retaining fluid. My rings are a bit tight and I feel bloated. Is this a common problem among raw foodies? It's been a month of about 80%. Is there a recommendation for something that will flush me out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: water retention?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 30, 2011 04:41PM

Februarygirl,

What sort of raw foods are you eating?

Date: January 30, 2011 05:35PM

I have a green smoothie throughout the day and a couple pieces of fruit and a salad with a pasta or rice and veggie dish for dinner. I have been snacking on pretzels or popcorn in the eve but don't think it's so much salt that it is causing the prob. Maybe I'm wrong?

februarygirl

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 30, 2011 05:47PM

There are numerous causes of water retention, was this happening before eating raw?

Date: January 30, 2011 07:07PM

Not really, and I don't want to be too dramatic about this. I just feel puffy and swollen, and frankly fat! Its been a month, I am feeling so much better and now I want to feel skinny!

februarygirl

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 30, 2011 07:49PM

A month isn't that long . . . please be patient and focus on the fact that your body is adjusting and that it's a big adjustment. Remember that green smoothies can be quite high in sodium, so additional table salt can be excessive, even if it doesn't feel that way by taste. I'd cut out any additional salt over the next few days and see if this doesn't correct the problem. If not, look at food combining(sometimes people can have water retention from eating complex combinations of things)and whether you are drinking anough clear water besides whatever juicy raw stuff you are eating. Good luck smiling smiley

Date: January 30, 2011 09:33PM

Thank you. Good advice. So greens have a lot of sodium?

februarygirl

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: January 31, 2011 01:27AM

Get off the added salt. Read 80/10/10 by Doug Graham if you want to get lean, fit and strong vs puffy, fat and out of shape.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:19PM

Are the pretzels and popcorn salted? Maybe cutting out the nighttime snacks or switching to veggies or grapes would be better?

Date: January 31, 2011 02:25PM

yes they are. I need to stop snacking at night all together!

februarygirl

Date: January 31, 2011 02:45PM

Wean yourself with crunchy healthy stuff maybe? Really, it can be hard to stop the late night snacking, especially if you're used to watching the tv at night. My biggest recommendation is to not watch actually, that will help the most in discontinuing that habit. Do something else at night to relax, take a bath with a book, take up crafts, do some yoga, anything other than the TV and snacks!

Date: January 31, 2011 03:18PM

You are so rightsmiling smiley

februarygirl

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 31, 2011 03:24PM

I find dried fruits good for an after meal snack, obviously you don't want to eat to close to bed as this isn't good for a number of reasons.

A couple of handfuls of goji berries, incan berries etc more than satisfy cravings for other food and are healthy nutritious and full of fiber at the same time.

Date: January 31, 2011 03:41PM

The kids and I will have a medjool date or two stuffed with a nut or nut butter. This is not fabulous food combining but it's a very small amount of food that is none-the-less satisfying and makes for a lovely little snack. Just have to remember to drink some water with that dried fruit!

Date: January 31, 2011 06:58PM

Hmm, I'll have to look for those dried berries. The area that I live in is very bad for resources like that. I will say, I am a sugar addict and I stopped eating it a month ago and am having no cravings at all. I attribute this to my intake of fruit, namely my green smoothies. It is awesome!

februarygirl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables