Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mango madness...
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 06, 2011 10:07PM

Do not get upset, read the article. Organic farming cannot feed the world
"For example, to raise a six-tonne rice crop in the peak season requires 100 kg of nitrogen. Because of monsoons and the fact that several metres of rainfall drains through the soil every three months, the amount of nitrogen it carries is low. Assuming we used good quality manure, there would be about 0.6 per cent nitrogen in the material; thus, requiring 17 tonnes per hectare to produce a six-tonne rice yield.

Can you imagine carrying 17 tonnes of manure, in repeated 50 kilogram loads, in a basket on your head? The lack of machinery to carry that material and the labour required to apply it, compounds the challenge."

I am taking a break I need to make some non organic celery and cabbage juice. Fresh celery and cabbage for 2 dollars.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 06, 2011 10:33PM

I did read it, it is an opinion piece. Think about what the writer says about lack of manure to fertilize the crops. That part is key... if the soil won't sustain what's being grown, perhaps that isn't what to grow there or how to care for the soil. People have to change what they do and how they do it, manipulating the planet the way we do is a short-sighted answer to our "problems".
Here is something put into practice
[cdn.static.viddler.com]
Anything is possible. The majority of grain grown on this planet goes to feed not people but animals. Not to mention the usable land that is squandered on the animals themselves, their processing plants, the wasted water from their filth etc.
Organic is not an impossibility, it just requires a shift in capitalist thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 10:38PM by coco.

Posted by: EddieOrso ()
Date: February 06, 2011 10:37PM

thank you coco

Date: February 07, 2011 06:35PM

Thanks coco very interesting. Will we ever get there?

Date: February 07, 2011 06:40PM

I don't know, I don't really have high hopes for humanity but I can't give up because I have two little kids, you know? So we educate ourselves and share what we know when we can. I'm looking into permaculture courses, cob building, things I can learn how to do and teach others. Massive amounts of people won't change, it's true, but there are enough of us that are willing to try and at least that is something. If I can find a way to self-sustain I feel like I'll have accomplished something really great.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 07, 2011 11:15PM

coco i totally get where you are coming from, when you cant give up hope for the sake of your kids

i even feel that way when i read/view stuff and think omg my poor necies/nephews/godchildren/friends kids etc .. i guess that is my latent maternal instinct kicking in even tho i always said if i ended up pregnant id probably eat my young LOL grinning smiley

even if i keep taking one step forward and humanity keeps taking one step back,

i have to feel that im making a difference and hopefully more come to that realization too ... hopefully before its too late !

i posted this awhile back in the favorite quotes section and i feel it sums it up .. (sadly)

We're in a giant car heading towards a brick wall and everyones arguing over where they're going to sit.- David Suzuki.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 11:24PM by Jgunn.

Date: February 08, 2011 09:10AM

Plus, if the "food" you eat has all of the body's necessities cooked and processed out of it, then when you eat that box of whatever, your body just says, "Not enough nutrients, need more food," and SAD eaters eat WAY more than raw food eaters, right? When I eat now, because there's actual FOOD in it, I get full faster for longer, generally.

I dont think a world full of raw foodists would eat anywhere near the kind of bulk SAD eaters eat.

Sue

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 08, 2011 03:43PM

probably not, although ive had a number of SAD eaters shake their head in shock at me over how much salad and fruit I can happily eat before getting anywhere near full,lol... My brother is a SAD eater though who eats more than I have ever seen another human being eat in my life...then he complains about being severely obese...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: February 08, 2011 03:55PM

Give yourself some time though. After a while eating a really clean diet the body can become better and better at absorbing nutrients and get away with less and less food. Not that you want to turn into one of those skeletal calorie restrictors, just that you can maintain a healthy body weight and activity level on less food so long as it is nutrient dense.

Date: February 08, 2011 08:27PM

ive been able to consume salad and fruit in amounts like this my entire life,lol... there was these pears at a friends house up in oregon one time... oh god, I wish they still lived there, the new owner cut the pears down!!! they where the most delicious thing ive ever eaten in my life...I ate dozens and dozens of them in one sitting, so juicy and sweet, not even a hint of the cliche pear grainy-ness, the most intense pear flavor ever...mmmmmmmmmmmm,,, carrot juice is the only raw product other than nuts or avocados that can fill me up fast... I can eat one avocado and feel stuffed...its interesting...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 08, 2011 08:44PM

What I mean is that after eating a very clean diet for a while your body may become better able to absorb nutrients making for a need for less food. Also many people who raise their awareness about the food~health connection identify food comfort issues and stop eating for reasons other than true hunger.

Date: February 08, 2011 10:13PM

ah, yeah, Ive always craved fruit so much, I could eat it at any time, whether hungry or not... its amazing stuff, but im sure it would go much further if I could stop craving it,lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 08, 2011 10:45PM

Perhaps you have a touch of candida? Are you like overeating fruit to the point of being totally full or can you easily stop when only 3/4 full?

Date: February 08, 2011 11:03PM

I can stop whenever I want, and often do, but the cravings dont go away, so i usually end up eating a little more than I probably should,lollll, I only gorge myself on fruit when I have a ton of fruit available that would otherwise go bad if I didnt eat it, or like with the pears, was all I could eat for free (for some reason they didnt like them?), candida can make you crave fruit? I wasnt aware of that...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 08, 2011 11:17PM

Candida feeds on sugar, it can often manifest in cravings for sweet food and starchy carbs. Easy enough to deal with if you are only a bit out of whack though smiling smiley.

Date: February 09, 2011 01:31AM

I think there is a lot of health benefit in NOT EATING.
Eating constantly is not healthy even if it is fruit.[drbass.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 01:35AM by madinah.

Date: February 09, 2011 08:19PM

interesting, from what I have found online though, I dont really have any of the supposed major symptoms of candida... hmm... oh and madinah, I started water fasting one day every two weeks starting early january, juice fasting/feasting the 2 days after, I have never in my life eaten "constantly", fruit or otherwise, I eat a couple times a day, craving fruit does not mean I constantly eat it,lol.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 10, 2011 04:40AM

Curator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ah, yeah, Ive always craved fruit so much, I could
> eat it at any time, whether hungry or not... its
> amazing stuff, but im sure it would go much
> further if I could stop craving it,lol

My point was in response to this but I understand

Date: February 10, 2011 09:34PM

ahhhh, I totally see how you could have misinterpreted that as meaning I eat fruit constantly, my bad, I should have specified that I FEEL like I can, I constantly crave it, but I dont give into those cravings most of the time, as I get sick the few times I have... the candida idea of cocos is interesting though, im looking into it some more.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables