Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Allergic to fruits / Acidosis?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 31, 2011 03:01PM

I'm recently raw.
My husband, on the other hand, is not.

Kiwi makes his gums bleed, pears make his tongue swell (he had canned peaches recently, his tongue swelled up like crazy, and then he read in the ingredients that they were in pear juice), pineapple will cover his tongue in ulcers.
His body will break out in spots (especially on his scalp) if he has too much fruit.

He wants to eat in a more healthy manner, and really respects me for the changes I've made ... but we seem to be at a bit of a dead-end here.

Does any one have any suggestions/understanding/experience?

He's been a vegetarian all of his life, but an 'unhealthy' one.
He lives for bread and cheese.

Any constructive comments would be very greatfully received.

Rebekah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Allergic to fruits / Acidosis?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 31, 2011 03:10PM

Allergies are a result of adrenal gland dysfunction not outputting sufficient anti-histamine epinephrine and other factors.

How does he get on with greens? building up the adrenals with foods rich in vitamin C and B5 help alot. Adaptogenic herbs restore proper adrenal gland and endocrine function good examples are schizandra berry, ashwagandha, jiaogulan, siberian ginseng, maca root etc.

Is it only those fruits?, pineapple/bromelain is a common allergen.

Date: January 31, 2011 03:44PM

There are so many other fruits to choose from, it shouldn't be hard to avoid those that give him issues. Focus on greens and a general improvement of the diet as a start is what I would do. Sensitivities may clear up over time, just keep checking with tiny bits of the offending food to see how it goes smiling smiley.

Date: January 31, 2011 03:48PM

It's interesting that you mention anti-histamine, powerlifer, as his mother and grandmother have been put on anti-histamine 'supplements' due to their bodies producing too much histamine (or something like that).

His diet is very low in greens (as was mine, before going raw), so I'll have to look into your recommendations on the Vitamin C and B5 w/ herbs - perhaps as a smoothie?

As for the fruits, kiwi, pineapple, and pear are the worst.
But like I said, if he has more than a few 'servings' of fruit (ANY FRUIT), his body (primarily scalp) breaks out in spots.

In fact, he buys shampoos that are free of citric acid, if possible, as this reduces the incidence of his scalp irritations.

Citric acid would possibly answer to the irritation of the kiwi ... but the pear baffles me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 03:49PM by bekahmancino.

Date: January 31, 2011 04:12PM

Do the spots resemble acne or are there any other noticeable attributes?

If he can increase his greens without symptoms then that would be a great idea. Smoothies are generally rich in vitamin C due to the inclusion of fruits or greens.

Good vitamin b5 sources are bee pollen(if hes not vegan even then its questionable imo) bee pollen is the richest source of b5 and is very good for building up the adrenal glands due to this rich concentration. Seaweeds are also rich in b complex vitamins and have numerous documented health properties.

How does he react with other rich simple sugar sources non fruit based?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 04:13PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 31, 2011 04:56PM

Moringa powder has tons of vit c if you think you won't get enough without fruit smiling smiley
[deepfitness.com]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 31, 2011 05:16PM

Are these foods he's eating ripened?

Date: January 31, 2011 07:10PM

powerlifer:

When he saw a dermatologist in the UK (we're now in the US, and haven't seen one over here) the diagnosis was folliculitis.
After a course of antibiotics for folliculitis, however, there was no noticed improvement.
Daily hair-washing with a citric-acid-free shampoo keeps the head spots at bay.

The spots elsewhere tend to be larger (3-5mm?), red, but not painful to the touch.
There may/maynot be 'whitehead' acne in the nearby area.

coco:

Thank you! I'll keep that in mind

Utopian life:

Is the pear juice used in the syrup surrounding peaches inadequately ripened? I don't know. (In my mind, that was the most bizzare of the reactions).
I honestly cannot say for sure.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 31, 2011 09:47PM

I don't know re: pears in syrup. What about the pineapple? Was it sweet and flavorful or tough and nonflavorful? Same re: kiwi.

Also, it might be sensitive to certain pesticides/insecticides.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 01, 2011 02:24AM

Unripe pineapple can be very caustic and painful to eat, and even create sores or ulcers in the mouth. In general in the US, I would avoid pineapple unless is smells very sweet and delicious. The riper the pineapple, the less it causes the burning sensation. It best to eat pineapple when you are in the tropics and you have a very ripe one to eat.

Unripe kiwis can also be challenging. If they are tasting very acidic and burning, this may indicate an allergy or unripe fruit.

Don't eat fruit from a can. Its not raw, and it often has sweeteners.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: February 02, 2011 12:55AM

If fruit hurts the mouth, it aint ripe. Prana got it bang on. Some will say you have to spend a few hundred bucks on junk from David Wolfe but many say you just need to eat ripe fruit and cut out the animal products that end up rotting in the colon, causing putrefactive issues.

Posted by: merry ()
Date: February 02, 2011 04:37AM

Would it not be possible to concentrate more on salads rather than fruits?as well as the greens grated carrot / beetroot , beansprouts etc. and raw coconut
What about bananas as I dont think they contain that much citric acid? I dont know where you live but I would imagine papaya may be good too - I also get mouth sore problems with some fruits but never with papaya....
I agree about moringa powder - I am taking it and finding it good...

Date: February 02, 2011 12:04PM

Unripe fruit is not going to make his head, back break out in spots etc, it may be more caustic etc such as in the case of pineapple but this is other and all fruits by the sounds of it.

there is something else going on, folliculitis is such as broad spectrum diagnosis meaning inflammation of the follicle and there are a number of different reasons why this can occur. Sadly even dermatologists go little further into investigating if its bacterial, fungal etc.

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: February 03, 2011 01:02AM

I have strange reactions to pears as well... and have never understood that one... I've read that allergies can be caused because of an over loaded Liver and when done correctly a parasite cleanse followed by several Liver flushes can rid the body of allergies. check out Dr. clark's liver flush it worked well for me.

He doesn't have to have fruit... I've done the raw diet with out it

i'd test for other hidden allergies as well like bread and cheese for example... our bodies crave what we are allergic to.

take all known allergens out of his diet then one at a time add them in and see what happens. day one reaction is and allergy meaning don't have at all... day 2 reaction is an intolerance meaning don't eat a lot consecutively.

powerlifer that is interested what you say about the adrenal gland disfunction... i had never heard that...will be checking this out... lecithin is supposed to be good for adrenal and licorice

Good luck I know allergies can be very frustrating

love laugh and dream

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: February 03, 2011 01:45AM

fruit isn't a vital food. Greens are. I would focus on things like salad and raw crackers. Or just salad. I reccomend kale salad as the nutrient level is HUGE! Greens are the perfect food for humans. If you can get him off of dairy, he will likely not have the problems anymore. Its easy to blame the immediate culprit, IE- Fruit.....when in reality it is likely the bread and cheese making his system overwhelmed. THEN causing a reaction to fruit. So in reality he is probably just reacting to the dairy and bread( two foods killing so many people and causing endless problems). First step is try to remove the cause of the base problem. And increase the actual nutrient intake. If he can eat some fruit, likee a banana and a apple for instance. You can try green smoothie. I simply use fruit, greens(kale or other) and water, with some hemp seeds or flax oil or flax seeds, or half an avocado. He will be getting so much nutrient it will start to cure him. Just start teaching him that the base problem isn't the fruit. Allergists have found that pretty much ALL allergies stem from a core set of food allergies. 95%+ of the toxins we take in from food come from meat,dairy,eggs.
if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: February 03, 2011 01:46PM

I agree. But it's hard to take you seriously with that SMOKE in your mouth! Butt that out man, talk about terrible for your body... That's the mommy in my talkin'. smiling smiley

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 03, 2011 07:08PM

She has a good point raw lion... anyone can do what they want to their own bodies, but if you lived close enough, id let you come visit my mom, see her looking like she is half dead, still walking outside occasionally to smoke up... her lung filled with tar and squamous cell carcinoma... if nothing else good has come of it, most of my family members who smoke, immediately quit shortly after seeing her... even some of my friends... quit now while your ahead <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: February 03, 2011 07:10PM

It could be a fake butt for all we know looks like a photoesque type picture, but id really not be worrying about cooked food like you have in your other posts if your still smoking cigarettes.

Date: February 03, 2011 07:19PM

Uh-oh, look what I did. Sorry bro, now we're all up your business and giving you the anti-smoking grief.
I do hope you're not smoking though, anything at all. Inhaling anything that is on fire is carcinogenic and I know that you're a papa. Stick around in good health for that baby of yours friend. Curator is in a world of pain caring for his sick mama, you don't want that to be your kid years from now smiling smiley.

Date: February 04, 2011 03:33PM

Interesting result, all.
For the sake of experiment, I asked my husband to take an over-the-counter antihistamine in conjunction with something which contained pear juice.
No reaction.

Does anyone know of an oil or something outside of the scope of normal nutritional analysis which may be a common link between these major culprits (kiwi, pears, bananas)? (I'm leaving out pineapple, because it's a very common irritator, and I'm just attributing the issues with orange and lemon to a citric acid allergy).

Pear and banana in particular seem such gentle fruits!!!!

Date: February 04, 2011 04:36PM

Everyone can have so many different allergies its hard to tell what could be causing it minus trial and error, has his doctor ever tried any allergy blood tests, although they test that many foods.

interesting though like i say, try building his adrenal glands up with adaptogenic herbs that i mentioned above. Powder form if possible. I dont want to plug my store but if your having problems finding the herbs check the link in my sig.

Most health food stores sell over priced capsule formulas that are pretty poor quality compared to the raw powder. If your in US you will be able to find powder forms online no probs thoughsmiling smiley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables