Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Resveratrol, Quercitin, CoQq10.......
Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: February 03, 2011 07:38PM

I recently saw an integrative doc and he prescribed these things for me along with Vit A/E/Zinc. I've never been big on supplements and they are costly. I'd rather save my money for fruits and veggies. For those of you who are educated in this, do you feel daily green smoothies and lots of green salads are providing these things for me?

februarygirl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Resveratrol, Quercitin, CoQq10.......
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 03, 2011 07:58PM

In most cases yeah diet can provide pretty much everything except in cases when 100% raw vegan you'll need a b12 supplement such as a sublingual b12 supplement, if in the UK probably a vitamin D supplement. If eating seaweeds then no need for iodine.

Are some of the common ones, zinc can be quite common too, what kind of zinc did he give you? vitamin A, E really have no need to supplement for in most cases of normal liver function, nuts seeds(vitamin E), fruit, vegetables rich in beta-carotene(pro vitamin A) take care of vitamin A needs.

Saying that if i have extra money there are alot of supplements i like but there more whole food based superfoods or herbs.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 03, 2011 08:49PM

I have a terrific book called Prescription For Nutritional Healing and it is my go to book for everything. It lists all nutrients, minerals, vitamins etc with a list of foods high in them. It's a great resource for those who want to focus on certain nutrients but do it via food.

Date: February 03, 2011 08:54PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a terrific book called Prescription For
> Nutritional Healing and it is my go to book for
> everything. It lists all nutrients, minerals,
> vitamins etc with a list of foods high in them.
> It's a great resource for those who want to focus
> on certain nutrients but do it via food.

I have that book aswellsmiling smiley, it was a great introduction for me and the conditions, although alot of it is dated and abit so so, with alot better natural methods.

Date: February 03, 2011 08:56PM

They revise it nearly every year so that the info is up to date. It would probably be easy to get an inexpensive second hand version that's a year or two old. I might update mine actually, it's a few years old now...

Date: February 03, 2011 08:58PM

coco Wrote:
> They revise it nearly every year so that the info
> is up to date. It would probably be easy to get an
> inexpensive second hand version that's a year or
> two old. I might update mine actually, it's a few
> years old now...

Ahh i never knew that, i knew they had a few revisions though, either way some of the treatments there are better alternatives such as bitters etc that they rarely mention.

Date: February 03, 2011 09:04PM

Write them a letter!

Date: February 03, 2011 09:38PM

coco Wrote:
> Write them a letter!

They do mention digestive bitters in the back of my edition i believe but they never indicate it for any of the conditions that its useful for which is pretty poor when they are very supplement heavy at times.

Same with fermented foods over types of crappy encapsulated probiotics. Overall though it is a decent book and worth a read for sure.

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: February 04, 2011 01:45AM

thanks guys....I will look for it. I'm a "questions" person so I'm sure it will come in handy.

februarygirl

Date: February 04, 2011 03:58AM

It is a very good book. Tells you which nutrients are for what, symptoms of deficiency, foods high in specific things. They do recommend a lot of supplements for certain conditions (there is a list of illnesses with a course of action to cure) but I just look at the food lists and eat more of whatever is needed.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 04, 2011 08:39AM

where do these things (Resveratrol, Quercitin, CoQq10) originally derive from ... smiling smiley

resveratrol - [www.livestrong.com]

quercitin - [en.wikipedia.org]

CoQ10 ... all i could find was almonds cauliflower, vegetable oils and supplements (and animal sources) .. maybe someone can find more info on this one smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 08:46AM by Jgunn.

Date: February 04, 2011 12:59PM

I was watching something recently and I'm pretty sure I heard that young broccoli sprouts have 4x's the reservatrol than grapes. Looks like broccoli has quercitin as well, I'd assume the sprouts have even more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables