Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"Fruit and veg are pretty useless, nutritionally".
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 04, 2011 11:52PM

I just read an article by Zoe Harcombe, author of The Obesity Epidemic. I'd love to know everyone's thoughts on her. In my opinion, the message she is sending is harmful, because of how people will interpret it. Here are some of the highlights from her article (link to full article is underneath):

"The message that fruit and veg are pretty useless, nutritionally, gradually dawned on me. The facts are these. There are 13 vitamins and fruit is good for one of them, vitamin C."

"Fructose goes straight to the liver and is stored as fat. Very few ­people understand or want to believe this biochemical fact."

"Besides, fruit has a fraction of the antioxidants of coffee, though you rarely hear dieticians singing ­coffee’s praises."

"The fact is, we can’t digest fibre. How can something we can’t even digest be so important to us, nutritionally?"

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Fruit and veg are pretty useless, nutritionally".
Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: February 05, 2011 12:08AM

Well, the Daily Mail is about sensationalism....and, this is sensational. As far as commenting on this article, the book, the author, or the decision to give this nonsense press, words fail me.

Date: February 05, 2011 12:24AM

Fiber cleans the digestive tract, etc. That sounds like one moronic article.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: February 05, 2011 12:36AM

Freelee eats more sugar rich fruit than any female on the planet currently. Look how fat she is in this shot from last month. Look at the belly fat dripping off from all that fructose.

Here is a shot of me out riding. All that fructose has made me obese and Im so fatigued that Im riding up a 20% grade with a camera in my hand filming people walking 10 000$ carbon bikes up the hill. I also eat more sugary fruit than anyone on the planet currently.

Ok ok, but you guys are young, fit, lean and strong so what about someone that has been a fruit bat for over 30 years..enter Doug Graham. Has eaten more fruit than anyone on the planet in the last 3 decades. Look how fat and flabby his arms and gut are.

Fruits and veg are useless cos people fill up on em and get fit,lean & strong and dont want to buy the other useless crap that the weight loss industry pushes everyday and in every way.

"eat less carbs so you get so hungry you go binge at the local KFC and when you want to get lean, we will put you on a starvation diet so you drop some weight and just get so hungry you go binge out harder next time. Fat, dumb, apathetic and under carbed = more money for us and less life for you"

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 05, 2011 12:39AM

there you go again, ,showing BARE, naked, SKIN !

AND sexy riding shorts !

shocking. filthy !

Date: February 05, 2011 12:41AM

Let me just say that I in no way agree with this article. I wanted to share it because of the ridiculousness of it.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: February 05, 2011 01:37AM

There has never been a person writing so much good information with less style than "durianrider". It is a shame that all that good fruit is used to advocate such a one-sided agenda, "eat fruit, get naked and ride 1000 miles". Almost as if all fruitarians should be ashamed of this type of advertising.
At first I though it was original, entertaining, now I find durianrider to be boring, annoying and predictable.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: February 05, 2011 05:40AM

Dont watch my next video then, THATS FOR SURE! winking smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 05, 2011 09:53AM

You rarely here dietitians recommended coffee because its a horrible stimulant that also comes with numerous side effects. There are also more antioxidants in raw cacao but you also dont here many dietitians recommended that either. A daily intake of stimulants for alot probably isnt a wise idea.

Yes vitamin C is one you get probably the most of in fruits but doesnt mean thats all it contains. This is so stupid who wrote this lol.

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: February 05, 2011 12:21PM

My 9 yo son saw the heading to this thread and said 'WHAT? Go in and prove that guy wrong!' lol.

Which pretty much says it all... even a 9 yo knows that fruit and veg statement is shite.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 05, 2011 03:06PM

From her own website:

[www.zoeharcombe.com]

She is apparently qualified as a Dietician. The main webpage contains mostly information with which we wouldn't disagree--we shouldn't be eating processed food because it isn't actually food, yadda yadda. As for her eschewing fruit: this may be unfair of me, but considering she's a "reformed" severe anorexic, I think this may be lingering paranoia about calories, the basic nutritional concept of which she claims to reject.

It is evident from the Daily Mail article that she is misinterpreting the results of the two studies she cites(and with which most of us are familiar); that she is in the process of earning her doctorate in nutrition while holding what appear to be increasingly archaic ideas about human physiology(that fructose is stored in the liver as fat to adverse affect being one) is alarming. So England will have one more undereducated "Nutritionist" advising people in hospitals to eat meat after intestinal surgery--great.

Interestigly, about a third of the way down, Harcomb claims to have been a vegetarian for 20 years, before she saw the error of her ways, so to speak. Was this while she was an anorexic? Before? Is she conflating these two lifestyles? I must say that I am dying to know. Does she define vegetarianism in the standard way, or the Lierre Keith way? Does she consider it a disorder? If so, I shall analyze whatever else this woman says with a small salt mine's worth of salt.

Getting the UK's under-10s off of Kraft Dinner and Mars candies is all well and good, but advising against consumption of produce, especially when produce farmers are struggling to regain respect for native fruits and vegetables instead of grains, is downright stupid.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: February 05, 2011 03:25PM

Why waste our time on this person, who dosen't know jack @#$%& about being healthy?

Date: February 05, 2011 05:44PM

Thank you Tamukha! You said it perfectly!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables