Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Oil Pulling
Posted by: TerrryR ()
Date: February 14, 2011 10:17AM

Are there anymore comments or testimonials regarding oil pulling.
TR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oil Pulling
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:00AM

Were you the poster who made the thread recently, if not do a search a few of us commented there about testimonials.

im sure theres an oil pulling forum that has alot of testimonials. Will try find it later.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:56AM

Its just another gimmick. Sucker born every minute.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 14, 2011 12:06PM

Some studies have shown to have less bacteria on the gums so that alone shows it does something.

Anecdotally my teeth are a heck of alot whiter than before, i think i even have a comparison picture somewhere. My gums are also in much better health. For overall health not sure how beneficial it is.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 14, 2011 01:44PM

I'm going to try it myself before I pass judgement (or call people doing it nasty names, sheesh). It's cheap and if it works, hey, that's pretty neat.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 14, 2011 03:55PM

i've been doing it for years, every morning. it's a difficult one to judge; my teeth look about the same to me I think, no more white than before... although I guess they would also lose a little whiteness as I get older, so maybe it's slowing that process?? I dunno... Going to the dentist next week so I'll see how that goes winking smiley

touch wood, I've had no problems with my teeth for years now, so hopefully it's doing something.

I will say though, it's great for freshening your mouth in the morning, esp if you've eaten garlic/onions etc. seems to really get rid of any residue. I use sesame oil, and add a few drops of aromatherapy oils: clove, cinnamon, tea tree, peppermint, eucalyptus, that kind of thing. Feels nice smiling smiley

and yeah, as coco says, it's cheap as chips, easy to do, takes no time (I do it while I'm having a shower, or doing some housework or whatever), so why not? smiling smiley

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 14, 2011 08:17PM

ive been trying it for a little while now, and my teeth are noticeably whiter, but also a bit more sensitive... my gums do look a lot healthier as well, ive noticed no other benefits though (didnt really expect to) the healthier mouth and whiter teeth is worth it enough for me, although I honestly find it kind of gross...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:03AM

I have used oil pulling in the past because I had dental caries, Sometimes the tooth would start hurting and because I did not have insurance or finances to take care of the teeth I tried everything under the sun to aid the tooth pain. I used a sunflower oil of the highest grade I could find and first thing in the morning I would pull by swooshing the oil in my mouth and chewing the oil. The oil would pull out stuff inbetween the teeth and actually made the tooth stop aching. I found more muscled were exercised from the oil pulling. My teeth became white and my gums seemed to tighten up. One thing did happen that scared me a lot. I was having some extreem tooth pain so I was oil pulling very early in the morning like at 3:30 a.m. because I went to work at that time and then four hours later I oil pulled. so that was twice a day with pulling and the area around the rotten teeth started to seep puss, I mean a lot of puss some of it was comeing out of the tooth hole and some was just seeping out of the gum itself. I became so frightened I went to the emergancy clinic where they gave me some antibiotic and pain pills. I wish I continued pulling to see what the result of it of the oil pull would have been. I am not sure if doing the oil pull would do all that is said but for me if I have a tooth or gum issue I would do it. Oil pulling also made my breath smell good and my mouth felt clean.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 15, 2011 08:05PM

For a scientifically proven means of cleaning plaque and making gums healthier, try an ionic toothbrush. They come either with a battery, or a more expensive model uses a solar cell.

Its not a replacement for flossing, but can be used in addition to your regular dental hygiene.

Also check out Successful Self-Dentistry - 8 Simple Steps

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: February 16, 2011 12:29AM

Prana, it seems that there is more going on with oil pulling than just surface cleaning of the enamel.

I too have tried oil pulling and noticed a change in teeth health (teeth seemed whiter and more 'solid'). I haven't done it for ages (got out of the habit), but I intend to get back into it once my fast is complete.

Date: February 16, 2011 01:15AM

What is happening in that video? Can you imagine hauling all that stuff out to a waterfall to clean your teeth? Woah, must be nice to have that much spare time on your hands twice a day. Seriously, like 6 or 7 steps there. That's a lot of tooth cleaning.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 16, 2011 04:12AM

i think one of the real conclusive things about oil pulling is not about the oil itself .. it really lathers up your mouth with saliva which .. makes the correct PH in your mouth for balancing acidic conditions and saliva itself is bacteria fighting which fights cavities

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 16, 2011 05:45AM

its also filled with minerals which help harden your teeth... saliva is good stuff!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 16, 2011 01:40PM

So then you could just swish with spit? My son does that, it drives me crazy.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 16, 2011 11:37PM

there's a taoist exercise (forget what it's called) where you swish around your mouth and basically collect all the saliva for a while, then you swish it around for a bit, then divide it into 3 and swallow it a third at a time. (did I explain that well? don't think so....sorry).

it's supposed to clean out your mouth, freshen breath, and help with digestion.

bit gross though grinning smiley

Date: February 16, 2011 11:43PM

Ugh. Totally gross. If the mouth is full of whatever needs to be cleaned out WHY would you swallow it? Oh man, that just makes my stomach turn over.

I bought some raw sesame oil today and while at the store a woman working there and I somehow started talking about oil pulling. She has issues with her gums and teeth and had heard about it but just needed to meet someone who was actually doing it to encourage her to try. Hope she has good luck and me too, I'm going to start tomorrow.

Date: February 17, 2011 02:22AM

saliva is also one of the main components of your gastric juices, the instructor of the ceramics class I went to when I was 15 never would swallow spit, when excess built up he would spit it out in the sink, he had a lot of problems digesting food, was extremely skinny in spite of being on SAD, went to a nutritionist who suggested a healthier diet, AND that he should swallow his spit instead of spitting it out (this is after I had brought that up to him in class, that it could be causing his digestion issues, or at least contributing...) a few months later he no longer looked anorexic... and reportedly, did not have problems with digesting his food anymore... saliva is important stuffgrinning smiley lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 17, 2011 02:26AM

Sure, but not after you swish with it to clean a dirty mouth. yuck.

Date: February 17, 2011 02:41AM

gross yeah,lol... but the acid thats in your stomach should kill anything that is in your mouth... still, I personally would also rather spit it out,lol.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables