Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

best sink and shower water filter?
Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: February 17, 2011 10:59AM

Im thinking of getting the aquasana shower filter for sure..but am not sure on the sink filter. I was going to get reverse osmosis but they need a plumber to install and I live in an apartment so Id rather have a counter top. I also considered a distiller which isnt that expensive...tho they take forever to make the water, and Im assuming use a considerable amount of energy...if you drink as much water as I do.....so Im thinking of going with the aquasana tabletop filter. Looks pretty good and is reasonably priced (I dont have a spare 500 to spend) tho I know with most filters Ill still hafta add a tiny bit of salt to add back minerals and perhaps set the water in a glass jar in the sun (with a lovely crystal to restructure)
Do you folks have any affordable reccomendations? I dont want any more darn pitchers!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best sink and shower water filter?
Date: February 17, 2011 11:23AM

Ok...so I was also thinking about zuvo but that doesnt take any flouride out. Crystal quest takes out flouride but uses synthetic aluminum oxide to do it (dont know if thats bad or not) and uses zinc which may be ok...but I heard can also put too much zinc in your body. Then again Im vegan and probably need more zinc so...
hmmm

Date: February 17, 2011 11:42AM

Now I just read about the inclean water gold system which apparently structures the water in a vortex too....plus removes flouride, but I watched another interview with Gabriel Cousens reccomending distilled with added salt and some other supplement. I just want easy tho. I dont want to have to lug water from here to there and do multiple things to it. Oh...I miss the days of having a WELL in the country with pure water straight from the ground! Im still considering a distiller tho...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 17, 2011 01:11PM

This belongs in the Other Health Related forum on here. We're already talking about it... winking smiley

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: February 18, 2011 07:07PM

I use a 20 dollar shower filter that I bought at home depot. The replacement cartridge is 10 dollars and is supposed to last 6 months. It claims to filter about 75% of chlorine.

I installed an under sink filter (walmart) for my kitchen faucet. It cost about 25 dollars and I think the replacement is 10 or 15 and lasts for 6 months. I installed it myself with basic tools. It was very easy and can be removed at a later date without permanent modification to the plumbing. The filtered water comes out of the original faucet (and sprayer if existing), and does not require a separate faucet to be added.

I also installed a whole house filter (also walmart) which I think was about 30 dollars with a 10 or 15 dollar replacement filter that is good for 3 months. It is a very simple and easy job IF you use "sharkbite" fittings (or equivalent). No soldering or tools required! You only need a cutter to remove a section of pipe. Perhaps your landlord will approve if you explain that the filter removes rust and sediment, which will extend the life of all his pipes, fixtures (faucets, showerheads, etc.), and equipment (washing machine, dish washer, water heater, etc.) That means he can look forward to less frequent repairs and replacements as time goes on. As a landlord that should be important to him. I am a landlord and anything that reduces the need for maintenance is valuable to me, as is the satisfaction of my tenants.

If you later decide to move out, and for some reason he no longer wants to keep changing the filter, I believe he can simply turn a knob on the filter so that water flows straight through and bypassses the filter element. If he really wants to physically remove the entire filter housing, he can simply pop it off the sharkbite fittings, and pop the original section of pipe back into place. Again, no tools required, but you would need two new sharbite fittings to mate to the original pipe section.

The whole house filter is nice because it filters everything: all the faucets, the washing machine, outdoor hoses, etc. It is also cheaper and more effective than a shower filter, because it does the filtering before the water is heated. Filtering hot water out of a shower or sink is more costly and less effective. Another advantage is that it doesn't get in the way which I have found to be somewhat of a problem with the shower filter and even the undersink faucet filter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables