Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

High Calorie Raw Foods?
Posted by: respeezy ()
Date: February 17, 2011 06:41PM

Hi , i am starting to lean more and more towards raw products and integrating them into my diet.

However , i train a lot of sports , so i burn a lot of calories, i also need a fair amount to keep my muscles maintained. I feel great when eating healthy , but i do not want to lose weight.

The healthier i eat the harder it gets to consume sufficient calories, i often find myself eating a large pizza or other stuff that i rather not be eating , just to get to my minimum of calories on the end of each day.

Most rawfoods are so low on calories , that my question is ,

Do you guys have any tips on high calorie healthy foods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High Calorie Raw Foods?
Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: February 17, 2011 07:11PM

This time of year oranges and other citrus are readily available and a good staple. You can juice the oranges and easily consume several hundred calories by drinking it straight or adding the juice to smoothies instead of water.

Bananas are also quite high in calories and can be consumed straight or blended as a drink.

Dates are also a favorite for their calorie content a handful can give you several hundred calories.

Apples and pears are a little more fibrous, but also fairly caloric and available this time of year. The juice is quite high in calories.

Fattier options include avocado, seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, etc), or nuts (brazil, walnuts, etc).

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 17, 2011 08:31PM

I agree with veghunter's choices for high calories. In addition to high calorie, you also want high water content foods and low fat, as fat take a lot of energy to digest.

This is why sweet juicy fruits are the best options. The sweeter the fruit, the higher the caloric density. Banana, though not the juiciest of the fruits, has a water content that is equivalent to the water content of the human body (meaning it won't dehydrate you), while having a good caloric density. Bananas are also cheap, meaning they probably have the best calorie to dollar ratio of any raw food.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 17, 2011 08:33PM

Avocado is a hugeeeeee calorie source!!! they can be anywhere from around 500 calories to as high as 1200+ depending on the size of the avocado, they are good fuel for a body builder, but variety is important to... Juicing carrots as a base, but adding in some stuff like kale, is really good, a quart of juice I made this way had about 29% of normal daily value of complete protein, which I drank every morning when I started body building again, Quinoa was also something I used as well, I enjoy it sprouted... any sweet fruits will give you lots of calories, im sure durian rider will chime in soon to tell you all about that...

Just remember, sweet fruit calories are super awesome for energy, but they are not as good for building muscle as fattier protein rich foods, or for sustained energy (you have to "refuel" often) so you should decide what kind of results you want from your workout regimen, then arrange your diet to best support the goals you are going for, doesn't sound like you're a body builder, so the high fruit thing might work for you, id still suggest at least 50 grams of protein during any day in which you have an intense workout... which is possible with mostly fruit, if you eat a lot, and have a good balance of other foods to get the amino acids you cant get much of from fruit...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: respeezy ()
Date: February 17, 2011 09:52PM

Thanks for the reply's.

In my knowledge avocado's are around 175 calories , not 500-1200+??!

But very help full reply's, ill make some notes and work with this info.
Also please keep the tips coming...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 17, 2011 10:00PM

Some are 4 times the size of others, hence the difference. Some are fatty and some are more watery too. I love avocados.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 17, 2011 10:24PM

A medium avo is around 400 calories, 300 of the calories come from fat.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 17, 2011 10:42PM

yeah... a 175 calorie avocado would be a really really small one...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: February 18, 2011 10:36AM

I cycled 220km yesterday. All on sweet fruits. Google up glycogen.

This is a pic of Doug Graham. Age 57. He is known as the 'banana boss'.

He has the 2 books that anyone serious about health must read.

1. 80/10/10
2. Nutrition and Athletic performance.

Carbs are key. You either get em from fruit or you will keep going back to pizza, pasta, rice etc. Dont think its lack of discipline, it merely lack of fruit carb calories.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables