Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Better food combinations, listening to ones body
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 18, 2011 10:42PM

I came home today with some red cabbage, as I thought I wanted some, not having it for a very long time. I thought I would make a dressing to go with it, but after making it I found that Its not a good combo.

I mixed lime juice with a little peanut butter and a small amount of maple syrup. Two the dressing items were not raw thats for sure, but I think thats not the whole picture. For what ever reason it just tasted awful, at first it tasted pretty good, but after a few bites, I just wasn't interested.

So, its either its not something I need right now, a bad combination, or perhaps some of the items inherently are not that great to start with. So, what would be a better way to consume this?

right now I absolutely have no hunger at all, maybe thats it. Its so difficult, but yet its not making changes. I know that I want to have a better life overall, and get out of the thinking that its 5 pm and its time to have something to eat. Maybe inherently a lot of people start to feel hungry around that time, but if my body doesn't need it or want it, I should have to force something down.

So, what do you do to help with knowing what your body needs? I think I have been over taught on what to eat and when to eat, how much to eat etc...So, I want to unlearn and start with new habits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Better food combinations, listening to ones body
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2011 11:59PM

It is so nice fermented into a living saurkraut. I have a device called the perfect pickler but if you look at the pictures of it I think a hardware store might have all the parts you need to make it yourself. It makes great "pickles" in about 4 days, very easy to use as well.

If you shred it and pound it with a bit of lemon to soften it up a bit you may like it more. That would be a good addition to a regular salad as well, no need for a fancy dressing, just the lemon and veggies.

Cabbage is very nice with a dressing of orange juice as well. Add a little bit of apple cider vinegar and a sprinkling of sesame seeds, YUM!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 19, 2011 12:34AM

Eating a salad of mostly raw cabbage can be intense. I usually add a little red cabbage, shredded finely, into my green salad. I add it for a little color and taste, but the greens are the dominant vegetable, and the cabbage is more of a condiment.

Also, peanut butter, or peanuts, just by themselves, are bad food combining (they are high in protein, fat, and starch). Its better to use a real nut/seed butter (almond, sunflower, etc), or better yet, a whole nut/seed.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 19, 2011 01:00AM

I love raw cabbage salads... but honestly, the combo of lime juice peanut butter and maple syrup sounds horrible to me... however, I dislike maple, and I am not one to normally mix peanut and citrus, so that could just be my personal taste, but with cabbage i tend to prefer a dressing made of lime juice, raw garlic, a little jalepeno, and then a tiny amount of ones preferred sweetener, and sometimes cilantro... its more of a mexican flavor, so may not be for everyone... I also like making a grapefruit vinaigrette, grapefruit, olive oil, vinegar of choice,I use red wine or balsamic, small amount of sweetener, little bit of finely ground white pepper, and sometimes powdered mustard seed if I want even more kick to it...

Coco's recipes sound yummy too!!!

I just eat when im hungry, and try to stop when im not feeling hungry anymore, I tend to feel better when I do that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 19, 2011 01:17AM

That peanut butter concoction just sounds like a version of peanut sauce to me, it's not bad but might be a tummy upsetter.

Date: February 19, 2011 08:47PM

Thank you all for your input. yes, sometimes i try stuff. I don't know why I thought it might be good. I tried a simple seasame and lime dressing that was so good, it didn't seem that far fetched from peanutbutter, but I was seriously wrong! I felt so sick for the whole evening after eating that.

So I learned something. I will probably have to rely on a special food combining chart before I go into uncharted territory. I am just so glad I didn't make a large amount of the dressing.

In theory there must be a simple rule which cuts through everthing making it much less complex. What would that be?

Date: February 19, 2011 08:55PM

The simplest form of good food combining is no combining at all. Mono eating. That means a meal of just one fruit, say like 6 oranges.

Other than that, here are some simple rules

these combine well
------------------
leafy greens and fruit
fats and acids
fats and carbs

these don't combine well
------------------------
starch and protein
fat and protein

Date: February 19, 2011 09:31PM

Prana,
What would be an example of a raw starch? Believe it or not I have trouble thinking of a raw starch, other than maybe some waterchest nuts, or lotus root. Potatoes I don't think are good to eat raw.

An example of a raw protein? Like lentils or spirulina or something like that? A raw acid might be a cranberry, tomato?

Date: February 19, 2011 09:44PM

A raw starch that would actually be edible is something like a jerusalem artichoke (sunchoke), or celery root. Brocoli and cauliflower are semi starchy and edible raw.

A raw protein might be a sprouted lentil or other legume.

A raw acid would be any kind of citrus, pineapple, tamarind, tomato.

Date: February 20, 2011 01:49PM

Prana,
Thank you that was very helpful. I ate most the red cabbage left over just plain, and it was so but better than with the dressing. No horrible reaction! I am not sure why I thought it needed something else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables