Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Women Question - PMS
Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: February 19, 2011 03:47AM

So I got my period and it's slightly off. I'm about a week late. I"m craving chocolate and icecream and if I have some.. I want more. Found raw cacao/chocolate syrup at the holistic/health store..ate the whole jar..LOL. It's crazy. I know this is normal for most women but it hasn't been normal for me in at over 2 years.
The other odd thing is.. Sorry to be gross but lots of clotting. It's so bad that any fluid I drink helps them along and pushes them on my bladder and causes massive cramping until it comes out. I stopped drinking water..hurts too much so I think the icecream cravings are from dehydation. But I couldn't stand it and i had a lot of work to do today and couldn't deal with it. The next step would have been Advil to thin it. I should be better tomorrow but any idea what I am lacking to cause that thick yuckness AND the cravings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 03:53AM by BackAgain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Women Question - PMS
Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: February 19, 2011 03:49AM

Oops..might have posted this in the wrong forum?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 19, 2011 04:02AM

foods higher in vittamin K apparently thin your blood some .. enough that folks on blood thinners are told to avoid them (i removed the references to animal products and alcohol .. original link is at the bottom smiling smiley

Foods to Avoid When the Blood is Too Thin

If you are taking anticoagulant medication, your doctor may instruct you to avoid certain foods that can interact with your medication. These foods are generally high in vitamin K, which plays a role in how your blood clots. If you are taking anticoagulant medication, talk with your doctor before making any dietary changes.

Leafy Green Vegetables
While delicious and nutritious, leafy green vegetables' vitamin K content means your intake of these vegetables must be controlled. These vegetables include arugula, collards, kale, mustard greens, parsley, spinach, Swiss chard, turnip greens and wheat grass. Lettuces, such as green leaf lettuce, endive or romaine also contain vitamin K but in more moderate amounts.

Cruciferous vegetables are those from the Cruciferae or Brassicaceae family. These include cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, turnips, rutabaga, Brussels sprouts, radish, horseradish and wasabi. A number of leafy greens, including mustard, arugula, watercress, kale, collard greens, bok choy and Chinese cabbage are also cruciferous vegetables.

Beans and Lentils
Your doctor may recommend that you avoid chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and lentils if you are taking anticoagulant medications. This would also include foods made with chickpeas such as hummus or falafel.

Herbs and Spices
Both ginger and turmeric may affect the way your blood coagulates and should be limited when you are taking anticoagulants, according to the NIH.

Other Foods
Other foods that may contain more vitamin K than your doctor wishes you to consume include strawberries, seaweed (nori), tofu and other products made with soy protein, soybean oil, scallions (green onions) and green tea leaves. Talk with your doctor about whether or not these foods are a good choice for you.

Read more: [www.livestrong.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 04:03AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 19, 2011 10:55AM

The chocolate craving is likely for magnesium, if you do wish to supplement this also helps with the pains also. Go for acidified magnesium sources such as magnesium malate/citrate. Oxide is poorly absorbed and neutralizes stomach acid. Magnesium oil is also good.

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: February 19, 2011 01:17PM

Are you vegan? It took a year of veganism for my period to lighten up. Also,perhaps eliminating all forms of sugar will eliminate cravings. Eat a lot of sweet juicy fruit when craving.

februarygirl

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: February 19, 2011 01:21PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The chocolate craving is likely for magnesium, if
> you do wish to supplement this also helps with the
> pains also. Go for acidified magnesium sources
> such as magnesium malate/citrate. Oxide is poorly
> absorbed and neutralizes stomach acid. Magnesium
> oil is also good.

This is the second time in two days I have heard the magnesium/chocolate connection. I know that when I used to supplement with a Cal/Mag/Zinc combo my chocolate cravings were much lower...

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 19, 2011 03:30PM

BackAgain,

Your body may be processing stuff out more efficiently[this isn't unusual on raw], and for this reason, I don't think that limiting green veg is a good idea--green veg are high in Vit K, but also in iron and magnesium, things easily depleted in menstruation. Make sure that you are intaking enough of these minerals, especially iron, when you have your period, and, in time things should get easier. Good luck smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 19, 2011 07:15PM

oh i wasnt saying to LIMIT green veg's i was showing that folks on blood thinners are told to avoid the above as they can also help thin the blood as well ...

... so they might be a good choice to INCLUDE for her smiling smiley

sorry if my post was confusing smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 19, 2011 07:28PM

I always crave dairy right before my period. I heard that it's for the calcium. Maybe because calcium acts as a muscle relaxant, as does magnesium. Carob is supposed to be high in magnesium. I wonder if you are having some fibroid issues and/or hormonal inbalances.

Date: February 19, 2011 07:35PM

bananawho calcium actually contacts muscles whilst magnesium relaxes.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 19, 2011 07:38PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bananawho calcium actually contacts muscles whilst
> magnesium relaxes.

[www.julstro.com]

Look at the last sentence in the sixth paragraph:[vitamins.ultimatefatburner.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 07:44PM by banana who.

Date: February 19, 2011 07:52PM

This isn't true and is quite a poor site overall, the reason calcium channel blockers are prescribed is down to the sole fact that calcium causes blood vessels to contract which in turn elevates blood pressure. This is why magnesium is often recommended to lower blood pressure because not only does it relax the blood vessels but it is also a natural calcium channel blocker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables