Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

the cravings...
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: February 20, 2011 04:32AM

I crave a big green salad more then anything else mostly. the best meal would be a gigantic green salad with heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, and celery. usually, there is nothing more that i would rather have. it's the best. no dressing. I will eat like two pounds of greens in one sitting easily, and love every bite.

...but i remember when I used to crave cookies and hawaiian bread years ago.

the other day i was i was thinking of cutting out mushrooms cuz it's not really a veggie.

...but i remember when i decided to cut out regular soda.

it's hard to remember that though because it seems so foreign. this seems so normal and natural, but looking back it seems surreal.

any of you struggling with cravings hang in there. trust me, they go away, and you forget about them. in a fraction of the time you have spent consuming junk food, you will walk through a mall with the smells blowing at you, and not even register it as food. not only that, but you won't even consider not considering it, because it will be invisible to you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the cravings...
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 21, 2011 09:46PM

My son's girlfriend made a salad..but instead of tomatoes she put in sliced persimmon and it was really tasty.

My fav. salad is all kinds of greens, and tomatoes, a mixture of chopped tomatoes and white onion and cilantro, and avocado on top. Yummmmy!

I never eat any kind of fungi.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Inky ()
Date: February 28, 2011 04:04AM

The Cravings....

You make me feel better when you say they go away.
I been raw for One Day (got a coupla nasty diseses to get rid of) and I just wanna eat cookies!

Somehow I think I only want them so much because now I'm Not Allowed.
Dun like feeling this way. :/

Funny thing though... I'm also craving tomatoes. Maybe it don't sound so weird but I have HATED tomatoes ever sinse I can remember.

Don't eat cookies. Eat tomatoes?

Anway. All I really wanted to say was, I'm glad the cravings will go away. =)
Thanks for saying that.

- Inky

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 28, 2011 04:06AM

yeahgrinning smiley I crave tomatoes a times too! I wonder why? lol... but I will often just eat them like a piece of fruit,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: February 28, 2011 07:37AM

inky, they do go away, and you don't even notice until one day you are being reflective. stay raw for long enough, and you won't even think of cookies, and when you see them, you will be like omg i remember when i used to think of cookies as food. : }

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:11PM

I remember a 3 day juice fast I did last summer,and how horrible "food"tasted after it was over.Everything either tasted like salt,or chemicals.
Vinny

Date: February 28, 2011 09:11PM

It'll be funny when I don't see cookies as food. =D

Yay Curator for eating tomatoes! I'm munching them like fruit too... only with the big ones, I find I take a bite of tomato and the insides go spuuurrt everywhere.
What is with that?

@ Vinny:
Hmmm... salty chemicals, huh? Even like apples and stuff? Or just the things that isn't raw?

Date: February 28, 2011 09:41PM

thats when you know its a good one inky!!! lol... I love the juicy ones! they are like giant berries! actually, come to think of it, I think they might technically be giant berries?

I think he was talking about normal "S.A.D." foods, I experienced the same thing after a juice feast, my dad brought home some decidedly un-raw foods, and I tried a single bite and spit it out, I could not stand it, it was disgusting... unfortunately thats not been the case with every bad food, ive had a few mistakes every now and then, but its no big deal, nobodies perfect,lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 28, 2011 09:50PM

Good taste, but it still makes a pretty wild mess...

Wait, a berry?
Uhm.... (my researching noise)
Wikipedia says a tomato is "botanically a fruit."

Do we trust that Wiki??

Wow, that's amazing! Funny how fast taste-buds can change, hey? Your dad musta been like "weirdo."
Or maybe he's nicer than that. I dunno.

I got another question for anyone who feels like they got an answer...

What do people do when they're cold??
I get cold all the time, and taking exercise is a no-go just now, and I used to warm up with a really hot cup of tea but now I can't...

What do people do? My fingers are freezing off while I type... sad smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 28, 2011 09:55PM

Why can't you have hot tea? Or at least warm... you can warm stuff up a bit you know.

Spicy food can be helpful, ginger juice etc.

Date: February 28, 2011 09:59PM

berries are fruit, technically, I only think it may be a berry cause it has so many berry like characteristics, grows on a vine, has a thin edible outer skin, soft pliable flesh, and seeds strewn within... similar to a kiwi in some respects, which is a berry , a delicious one... mmmmm... Go with caffeine free infusions, like rooibos, or if you like ginger, ginger tea with a hint of lemon, caffeine can be pretty bad for you, but some hot herbal infusion will not hurt you as long as you arent putting processed sugars and stuff in it... I like rooibos because I enjoy its flavor plain, with no sweetenersmiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 28, 2011 10:00PM

oh, and I do drink normal tea from time to time, but caffeine isnt an issue for me cause of ADD/ADHD, im lucky that way, it effects us different than normal peoplegrinning smiley silver linings abound,lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: February 28, 2011 11:27PM

Sometimes I fall really hard back into factory food. My spirit needs a lot of attention right now and I'm responding with cookies and chips but duh, I should reset with some green smoothies and remember how when it passes, I definitely don't crave or recognize these "foods." Luckily I have experienced what you're talking about, and it feels amazing: to be eating lots of fresh foods and no processed foods and to appreciate but dismiss former cooked food smells.

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: March 01, 2011 02:20AM

Cyclopsiclse, I like that...reset...that's exactly what we need to do with cravings.

februarygirl

Date: March 01, 2011 06:02AM

Ohhhhhh!

Oh my gosh!! I can drink tea?

I thought cos it was hot that mean it was cooked, you know?
(You see how little I know about this raw food game!)

I never did drink the caffine ones only fruit teas and I never did put sweetner or milk in them, so I can just continue drinking them how I always did!

You have no idea how happy you just made me! =D
I'm not gonna die from cold... ^__^

So many other people crave cookies and things too, huh?
Any idea WHY? Why we crave these things, I mean.
I read that its because cooked foods (most specially sugar and grains) are like drugs... is that true? So I'm a druggie without even knowing it?

(I'm sorry for asking so many questions. If you people get annoyed you can just tell me to shut up. I wont mind.)

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: March 01, 2011 12:21PM

Fresh squeezed lemon in hot water is wondeful toosmiling smiley
People crave for different reasons. I am a total sugar addict. I have not had a speck of sugar since January first and barely crave at all, which I am sure is because of the fruit intake. If I get a little craving I know that it is because I did not have a green smoothie that day or much fruit.

februarygirl

Date: March 01, 2011 08:22PM

eating raw is like a snowball rolling down a hill gaining size and momentum. when you are half way down, and big and round, it is more difficult to stop.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 01, 2011 08:33PM

Id give an take abit there is nothing unhealthy about consuming caffeine free herbal teas, infact most of them have good research behind them with the health benefits of the anti-oxidants etc. If that makes someone not 100% raw i say who cares.

Watch the ginger teas though, ginger is a pretty strong ant-acid thus neutralizes stomach acid.

Date: March 01, 2011 11:15PM

I had no idea powerlifer, maybe thats why Im not digesting as well anymore,LOL... ive been drinking a lot of ginger infusion lately...

And yeah Inky, processed fats and sugars they have shown are chemically addictive to the human body, cravings are caused by addiction, but its both physical and psychological, so the physical can end fairly soon after going raw, but the psychological can last a long time for some of us, for me its just been down to making the choice to eat raw when I get a craving, if I crave sugary snacks, I eat really sweet raw foods like sweet fruit or carrots (or carrot juice) if im craving something fatty, I eat some avocado or nuts, it may not be ideal, but its a thousand times better than eating the junk instead... for salt cravings, I do celery or when I had my dehydrator, dehydrated veggie chips, cheezy kale chips being my favorite...(no actual cheese in those chips btw...lol) eventually this got rid of the psychological craving too, until I ate junk again...my neighbor is to adorable and my will to weak for my own good... she makes me all this "food" like flirt or be nice or something... today though I finally talked to her and told her that I really loved it, it was so sweet, but that I am raw vegan, and I really appreciate her effort, but I cant eat cookies and cakes and stuff like that... (my mom sure enjoyed them though,lol) she seemed kind of hurt... which makes me sad...but Im gonna make her some banana blueberry sorbet in awhile here and maybe that will make her feel betersmiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: March 02, 2011 01:49AM

.... eating raw is gonna turn me into a big round snowball? O_O
(You made me laugh, ILoveJen, by the picture you made in my head!)

Still so happy about being allowed caffine-free tea... And very interesting about the ginger. winking smiley

Awww, Curator, your neighbour sounds so sweet. I'm sorry she was offended...
But I'm sure she'll be ok once you make her that sorbet. o^__^o

And it's easier to beat these cravings when I can actually SEE my skin getting clearer. This is honestly insane. The swollen parts are flattening and the weeping parts are scabbing over... ok, that sounds totally gross but I'm so excited!
And on DAY THREE only!!
I don't seem to have any more engery than normal though... mebbie that comes later.

Date: March 02, 2011 03:50AM

awesomegrinning smiley im glad its helpinggrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley seems like your body has a lot of healing to do though, so it may be awhile be4 you see some of the other benefits, its always awesome though when you get to see some immediate benefits, some people dont see any at first!

Oh, and she LOVED the sorbet, was even more surprised when I told her the only two ingredients... frozen banana and blueberries!!!... she definitely seems cheered up a bit now...and possibly open to trying raw, but I didnt push it, just gonna make her a few other yummy things here and there...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 02, 2011 12:08PM

thanks ilovejen, what an inspirational post.

I find cravings for 'bad' stuff just don't happen as long as I've had my huge green juice for breakfast.

Inky - if you're craving cookies, just make raw ones, they're really simple! google 'raw cookies', there's tons of recipes smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables