Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

bitter after taste to dressings / dips
Posted by: merry ()
Date: February 20, 2011 02:15PM

SOrry this may be a bit of a trivial questions compared to the serious topics discussed here but:
i'm experimenting making different raw salad dressings and dips. I'm finding with several of my concotions that I'm getting a slight bitter aftertaste that ruins what at first seems like something really good. but in each case the original ingredients are not bitter. So it seems like two ingredients are reacting together or something.
For example:
raw hoummos type of thing: lentil sprouts + lemon juice + sunflower seeds + a little garlic + H2O + salt. At first I was pleased how close to regular homous this tasted but then the bitter aftertaste I mentioned...

or tomato + basil + almonds + water + salt / miso + a little garlic.

Anyone have any idea about the cause? If I make dips with carrot or beetroot I don't get the bitterness. Everything I make with tomato seems to but the tomatoes are not bitter in the beginning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bitter after taste to dressings / dips
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 20, 2011 04:37PM

lentil sprouts can be bitter depending on the lentil ...sometimes garlic can be a bit bitter .. salt and miso can enhance bitterness in some stuff .. ive occaisionally had underripe lemons that tasted more bitter than sour

no question is trivial when its asked with sincerity smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 20, 2011 09:15PM

basically everything Jodi just said ^^^ lol... ive found that raw garlic is often bitter though, to me at least, so I use some kind of sweetener or another to cut that bitterness, OJ works well, but I do not always like the flavors of OJ and garlic mixed... have to be in the mood for it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 20, 2011 09:37PM

I'm guessing the raw garlic; mature garlic especially has bitter sulfurous flavor.

Date: February 22, 2011 06:39AM

Well garlic seems like it might be the culprit so I'll make them without garlic and see if the bitterness goes although I dont know about homous without garlic being that interesting... - the garlic doesnt make problem in carrot based dip though and also gazpacho contains a lot of tomato and garlic and I never remember it being bitter in Spain...but maybe Indian garlic is different in some way...I've never thought of putting OJ in a salad dressing - will give that a try too!!

Date: February 22, 2011 09:18AM

tomato and carrot are both really sweet naturally, carrot more so of course... so it would off set the bittersmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: February 23, 2011 04:12AM

yes I know but its tomato thats one of the main ones for me that is coming bitter - but I was meaning in Spain it doesnt happen like that with a garlic tomato combo so I dont know why mine should...

Date: February 23, 2011 06:07AM

they usually roast their garlic I thought?

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables