Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!
 

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 21, 2011 09:14AM

I bought a high speed blender and could not believe the nose, tiny nutrients cannot possibly survive this, they must die of fright and scare. What is happening here, this is cooked food, we were told nutrients do not survive 118 degree heat. Are there any scientific studies on this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 21, 2011 03:29PM

Uh, nutrients aren't like zygotes. As long as you don't blend to the point where friction heat starts to cook the ingredients, your smoothie should still be alive with vitamins, minerals[not prone to heat damage, btw], co-factors, etc. There is plenty of evidence that enzymes and certain vitamins deteriorate from exposure to heat. From this very site:

[rawfoods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 21, 2011 05:07PM

This is probably a stupid question, because I'm scientifically impaired, but doesn't it change the molecular structure depending on what you're blending together? For example, if you're blending oil and water, you're making an emulsion, which would behave differently in the cells. Although everything will still be raw and the nutrients won't be destroyed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 22, 2011 02:23PM

KidRaw,

It is true that an emulsion is a chemically altered substance, but bear in mind that it is restructured in digestion so can't directly act on cells. One would have to actually cook the ingredients in a green smoothie through over-blending--did this once unintentionally and blech!--to chemically alter the ingredients smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 24, 2011 04:11AM

It seems to me that it is the juice coming out of the blending that is nutritious as the green remains indigestible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: February 24, 2011 07:53PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought a high speed blender and could not
> believe the nose, tiny nutrients cannot possibly
> survive this, they must die of fright and scare.
> What is happening here, this is cooked food, we
> were told nutrients do not survive 118 degree
> heat. Are there any scientific studies on this.

High speed blenders probably get nowhere near 118 degrees unless you blender for several minutes. Here is an interesting video by John Kohler on heat in high speed juicers. [www.youtube.com] John finds that heat doesn't matter so much as oxidation. You can address that to some extent by blending on the lowest speed which gets the job done for the shortest time.

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 24, 2011 10:44PM

madinah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems to me that it is the juice coming out of
> the blending that is nutritious as the green
> remains indigestible.


What? Greens are indigestible how exactly?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: adamlogan ()
Date: February 25, 2011 01:18AM

@ pborst
Great video, I had to laugh when John Kohler drank from both glasses, to be fair I guess?

@ Madinah
I second coco's question.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 26, 2011 05:02AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> madinah Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It seems to me that it is the juice coming out
> of
> > the blending that is nutritious as the green
> > remains indigestible.
>
>
> What? Greens are indigestible how exactly?

I feel better on juices, with green smoothies I feel heavy, bloated. Green smoothies are not entirely digestible.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 05:05AM by madinah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: February 26, 2011 09:34AM

madinah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> coco Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > madinah Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > It seems to me that it is the juice coming
> out
> > of
> > > the blending that is nutritious as the green
> > > remains indigestible.
> >
> >
> > What? Greens are indigestible how exactly?
>
> I feel better on juices, with green smoothies I
> feel heavy, bloated. Green smoothies are not
> entirely digestible.


Probably because they're usually fruit smoothies with a few vegetables hiding in them. Basic food combo rules. I can't eat fruit and vegetables together on a plate never mind blended.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does High Speed Blending Destroy Nutrients, Is It Still Raw?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2011 02:23PM

LOL just because you feel "heavy" on them doesn't mean greens are indigestible. Watch the sweeping generalizations please.

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.


Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables