Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's the best Diet?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 07, 2011 01:20PM

I posted this at the Juicing and Blending forum, but I'd like
a wider audience......
If you get a chance, watch this video. I can't believe
the amount of Greens, and especially Sprouts, that he packed
into his Vitamix Blender. If he drinks one of those everyday,
he won't be lacking for energy. It's no wonder she called it
'Energy Soup'. Notice that he only used a small amount of Fruit
....and it was non-sweet at that (avocado and zucchini). The rest
of it was Green. I'd like for everyone to stop and think a minute.
Would you rather run your Body on Energy Soup or sweet Fruit or a
combination of the Two?? And in what Ratio?.....WY

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the best Diet?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 07, 2011 02:15PM

I am so jealous of that avocado. We don't get those in Canada, they are Hass I think. We only get Reed (or it may be the reverse, I only know that I love that one he used). He over blended it though, I think. Avo gets sort of weird when blended too much.

I'd try that soup but I don't think my kids would have any of that. I have to make things that we all like or I am forever in the kitchen working on food for each individual. And doing dishes.

How did he get all that into the carafe? And how could one person consume all of it? Wow.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 07, 2011 04:22PM

Wow that is alot of sprouts, id love to give it a try being that i have my lovely new vitamix, but i wouldn't be able to source alot of the ingredients, nor in a quantity to try daily.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: March 07, 2011 04:30PM

Man, that was an insane amount of food in the blender! I, as an engineer, cringed as he was pounding it down around the blades. Certainly would be a fine video for selling the vitamix as a sturdy product!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 07, 2011 04:44PM

Or, "How to Break Your Vita-Mix" smiling smiley

I am wondering why they use baby greens for everything; perhaps the soil is more mineral rich there, but I would think the mature leaves of brassica would have more nutrients--it's not like sunflower or buckwheat sprouts.

I find that if I don't include sufficient fruit in my green smoothies, I start to feel anemic pretty quickly. Something among the fruits is evidently binding with the iron in my greens and helping with uptake. I'm starting to grow sunflower sprouts, and plan on trying buckwheat sprouts again, now that there's more sunlight coming through the windows in the daytime, so I might give energy soups a try. Thanks for posting this, WY.

Date: March 07, 2011 04:53PM

Most likely the rich vitamin C content of fruits id have thought tamukha, vitamin C has been shown to increase the absorption of non-heme iron.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 07, 2011 07:45PM

Best diet, based on how many greens they can cram into a blender? Nope. "Best" is always a loaded and subjective term. Best could mean most nutrients per meal, greatest capacity [which goes to Blendtec at 96 ounces, not Vitamix who had to pay over $11 million for patent infringement on Blendtec's design. [blogs.consumerreports.org]. Bottom line, since Vitamix is trying to steal from Blendtec and not the other way around, your square design is still your best bet.

Since I have received my new top for my HP3A Blendtec with a 3 quart design. I'm in heaven. I reported before that I hated it. With the new top, I love it. With Blendtec's set it and forget it automatic settings, it's great. Vitamix still offers the better warranty, quieter machine, and name recognition. But the HP3A is still the workhorse, easier to clean and operate if you want to set it and forget it. It has the best of both worlds, manual and automatic, greater capacity for blending and easier cleaning. At the same price point, I will take the Blendtec.

I think the more important point to make about "best diet" is that loading nutrients upon nutrients in the smallest place possible doesn't necessarily do it. And more importantly, there is no data to support it at least at the levels we are talking about.

To make that claim, you would need a decent control, regular folks eating a plant based whole food diet and then the Ann Wigmore intervention. That experiment has yet to be done, though I agree it will be interesting. But, "best diet on the basis of nutrient loadings per meal alone. Nope, that won't cut it. And health outcomes take time, especially if there is a "nutrient" or "antioxidant" threshold above which loading additional nutrients don't help.

Nobody knows the curve, not me, not Tamara, not Arugula, not Joe Blow or Walter Willett at Harvard. But the right metric I'm sure for "best diet" is how long with we live, how much cancer we get, what our morbidity and mortality is, not how much greens whether its purslane or sprouts you can cram into a Vitamix. I'd put on the absestos suit now, but then I'd get mesotheliaoma or something like that.

Nutrient loadings are a proxy, and probably a good proxy upto a point. After that being an athlete makes you look really good today and exercise as an independent factor cannot be ignored but health outcomes are really the whole package. Which means we would need multiple regression analysis, a fancy way of breaking out the effect of exercising or not smoking or genetics, etc.

If I'm wrong, that that analysis has not been done, I'd be glad to be proven wrong. Best.

Paul

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 07, 2011 07:59PM

I'd rather run on a combination of the two, but most of the calories are going to come from sweet fruits.

Date: March 07, 2011 08:13PM

On the combination, me too Cherie. But mostly greens for me, fruits will be low sugar, melons, berries , apples, kiwi and nonsweet fruits.

Paul

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 07, 2011 08:15PM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Best diet, based on how many greens they can cram
> into a blender? Nope. "Best" is always a
> loaded and subjective term. Best could mean
> most nutrients per meal, greatest capacity
I'm sorry you took offense. I wasn't implying that Ann Wigmore's
'Energy Soup' is the 'best diet'. I was simply asking everyone to watch
the video, then decide (or confirm) what is best for them.
As for the Blendtec and Vitamix containers, it is a close call in my book.
Notice the picture of the two shows the Vitamix without its Lid, which
is nothing like the Blendtec's. Also, I believe the VM is rounded at the
top whereas the BT is straight.....WY

Date: March 07, 2011 08:24PM

WY,

No offense taken. Just responding to the title.

Paul

Date: March 07, 2011 08:30PM

Best diet is subjective anyway what may work for one doesn't always work for another, i know that's not what WY was getting at but it sparks some discussion at leastsmiling smiley.

Some don't understand that one diet, food etc doesn't always agree with others. Everyone is different, some may thrive on low fat diets others may not.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables