Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question regarding apples....
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 03, 2011 08:46PM

So yesterday I bought a couple of organic Pink Lady apples that were on sale at Whole Foods. I bit into one of them this morning and it tasted a bit moldy. Not too nice. And it got me to thinking about the apple season. I didn't know until recently that apples kept well for months after picking, provided they are stored properly. I just assumed that since most apples come from the NW, they may have more than one growing season or something. I have been buying organic apples from Trader Joe's and for a while (even in Jan. and Fed.) I was able to get some tasty ones! And then one time they seemed mealy and full of soft spotssad smiley Then this moldy situation todaysad smiley

Soooo...my question is: should we just limit our apple consumption from the fall to around Feb. at the latest? I am wondering if any of you refuse to buy apples after a certain date, given that they seem to be available year-round.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question regarding apples....
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 03, 2011 09:27PM

I tend to night buy them to often around this time of year as well, as I seem to run into issues with them tasting old as well...

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 04, 2011 06:17AM

Hmmm.
Never bit into a bad one in recent years.
Organic or not.

Vinny

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 04, 2011 10:02AM

eaglefly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm.
> Never bit into a bad one in recent years.
> Organic or not.
>
> Vinny

Same guess ive been lucky as i eat quite alot of green apples.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 04, 2011 11:32AM

I've had a musty flavoured apple but that hardly ever happens. Not very nice when it does though.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 04, 2011 12:33PM

Harvested mid to late fall, and then cold stored. I stop buying apples around this time of year if I get too many musty tasting ones, and pick up again in September.

Date: April 04, 2011 04:39PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Harvested mid to late fall, and then cold stored.
> I stop buying apples around this time of year if I
> get too many musty tasting ones, and pick up again
> in September.

LOL!!! That sounds like what I should do. It doesn't feel right to keep eating them 12 months a year...I have found that green apples seem to be pretty good most of the time. I wonder if the lower sugar content is responsible. I like green apples as the base of my veggie juice concoctions so it's kind of a drag...

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 04, 2011 04:50PM

I buy them year round. Sometimes they are worse than others, but I don't really pay attention since I only use them in smoothies (I have very sensitive teeth and it hurts them to bite directly into the apple-to acid) sad smiley

Date: April 04, 2011 05:00PM

Hmm...I guess it's pretty common then. The main reservation I have is imagining that these apples are nine months old! And then they put that wax on them...That is what grosses me out. I just don't like the idea of preserving them from the outside like that. They seem firm and then you bite into it and it's all mealysad smiley Well, sometimes you luck out, though...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables