Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ran a new half marathon pb.
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: April 08, 2011 07:05AM

Been vegan for 10 years this week. Ran the fastest half marathon of my life last Sunday. Finished 8th overall in my state.

[connect.garmin.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ran a new half marathon pb.
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 08, 2011 03:02PM

Great time man, lfrv for the win! . You ran below 4min/km, thats pretty damn solid, Id like to get there this year. My goal this year is to break 20min for 5km.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 08, 2011 05:17PM

durianrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Been vegan for 10 years this week. Ran the fastest
> half marathon of my life last Sunday. Finished 8th
> overall in my state.
>
> [connect.garmin.com]

Whooptie do...How can you prove that your state isn't full of tortoises, thoughwinking smiley

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 08, 2011 07:34PM

Good job! I've never been much of a runner. I can dance for hours but running? I'll pretty much only do that if a chainsaw murderer or a rabid dog is chasing me. grinning smiley

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 08, 2011 10:19PM

Endurance training is another unhealthy addiction, just like processed food.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 09, 2011 12:50AM

Why would you say that?

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: April 09, 2011 02:25PM

rab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Endurance training is another unhealthy addiction,
> just like processed food.

Hey rab, didn't you once post that you feel best when you run 5 miles a day or something?? Its in this thread:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: April 09, 2011 05:31PM

There is a huge difference.

I run 5 miles at a low pace, not going through adrenaline rush as the marathon runners do. I am not exhausted at any time, and they go through very, very hard periods, FORCING their bodies to keep on moving. That is a survival mechanism and should only be used in dramatic circumstances, hopefully never.
If I feel any pain, I don't run. They don't stop, no matter what.

Also, I think that swimming is much healthier than any running, but all the swimming pools are filled with chlorine.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 09, 2011 07:26PM

Rab - I would like to add a different idea here. I am an endurance runner but I don't push myself in the way that you are describing. I did a 30 mile run the other day - but when I felt tired I walked up the hills - durianrider would be horrified at how long it took me but I had the most wonderful time. I stopped at the 5 check points and ate and drank and went on my way in my own sweet time. It took me no time at all to recover from this run. I am doing a half marathon tomorrow but again I shall run it at a comfortable pace and still be able to walk the dogs or do some gardening in the afternoon. In a few weeks I am doing an off road marathon but only at a pace that feels good - I shall chat to folk on the way round and if at any time I feel that it is too much I shall just walk till I feel ready to trot on again.

So I would say that I am more in your bracket - I don't force myself either but I do run a long way. I just wanted to make the point that not all endurance running is damaging to the body - I think the way I do it might well be similar to the way a hunter gatherer may have paced his day. People just aren't used to a steady trot lasting many hours anymore - I don't think this is damaging however, particularly if you run off road in beautiful places on soft trails. It certainly makes my heart sing and I feel so happy. It wouldn't if I was straining every sinew and gasping for breath that's for sure.

What do you think?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 09, 2011 07:37PM

I think I like what you are describing Jan, though I don't disagree with what Rab has said about the extremism of some sports. I do think challenging the body is a good thing, I don't think ignoring limits and injuring one's self is.

Date: April 09, 2011 07:40PM

flipperjan, I too think that we are doing the same thing, the distance has nothing to do with it.
people have walked huge distances and that is natural to us. If you run, and don't feel pains or exhaustion, that is fine too. The problem is when you are trying to beat the time. That causes abnormal strain on the body and is NOT HEALTHY. Competitive running is not healthy.

I also believe that competitive sports are not healthy either, especially professional. Look at the animals in nature - they always preserve energy, it is a rule of life. They only go to extremes when they are forced to do it.

Running at your pace is healthy, as is any other physical activity. I think, and I am by no means an expert, that being active throughout the day is better than heavy exercise for an hour and than sitting whole day. Sitting too much is my problem, and I believe a problem of a lot of people. We need to move more - I think every 15 min. I should get up and to some exercise. I am working on it smiling smiley

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 09, 2011 07:49PM

heh, we agree on something rab,lol. ^_^ <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 09, 2011 08:11PM

I agree with many points although high intensity exercise(not what is being discussed i.e endurance) has shown to have better cardiovascular benefits aswell as weight loss if its your goal.

I think i may have a deficit disorder as i get bored of any endurance or cardio in general. 30-40 minutes running or on the treadmill(even worse lol as i dont have the scenery to keep me occupied) bores me to no end. I prefer HIIT to low intensity endurance workouts not only for the benefits above but its more sport specific to my needs.

Which is why my main cardiovascular workout is boxing on the heavy bag or sparring.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 09, 2011 10:35PM

I am similar, especially around here where the scenery is so boring... house, house , oh look another house. house house AH SCARY DOG! house house, BBQ, house....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: libusha ()
Date: April 10, 2011 12:00AM

Wow! That is awesome and inspiring! Congratulations on 8th- that's a fantastic achievement and your time is super fast! Thanks for sharing and keep it up! What's your next run?

I've just signed up to this web site- very excited! Running is my newest thrill- only been at it for about 6 months and loving it. How many km's do you train per week to do a Half Marathon?

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: April 11, 2011 06:12AM

Thanks for the support gang.

Ive ran 170km so far this year. So whats that? 8miles a week? I do bike riding as well and eat 80/10/10 and get LOTS of early nights and drink lots of water so that REALLY helps for my lack of running training.

Sure I could run WAY faster with caffiene, cacao, ventolin etc but that would defeat the purpose of my health and fitness lifestyle. I dont like to stress my body 'too much'. I just listen to it and ensure PLENTY of low activity months during the year and give it ABUNDANT nutrients, calories and sleep so it gets the nourishment it needs.

I do see a lot of people scared of eating enough fruit and then they wonder why they think exercise with your mates is 'extreme!'. winking smiley

Go out there and have fun. If you win or set a pb, great. As long as you look after your health and get a solid lymph pump, thats the main thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables