Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Death by melon.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 11, 2011 01:26AM

Sigh. Perfect "looking" fruit, coming to a supermarket near you.
[harvestpublicmedia.org]
He's right though, hit the mark and consumers will buy it.
Oh, and don't forget the new labeling laws that are on their way too. GMO will soon be allowed to be called "organic" depending on how it's grown.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Death by melon.
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 11, 2011 02:17AM

"Monsanto’s efforts to cultivate new lines of consumer-focused produce do not involve direct manipulation of genetic code."

thats good at least... just a bunch of selective breeding, like normal hybrids...at least according to the article... could be worse, they could be splicing squid DNA into it that makes it glow when its ripe so they can pay migrant workers to harvest it at night! no longer are there 12 hour work days, its 18 hour work days!!! ... that sounded funnier in my head...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: April 11, 2011 03:31AM

I don't trust a thing that comes from that company. Give them a millimeter and they'll take it to the moon, just you watch and see. There is no way to ensure perfectly uniform glowingly consistently ripe produce unless you majorly screw with something. This scares the salad out of me.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 11, 2011 01:06PM

Curator,

Nope, that was funny in text as well smiling smiley

As far as the melons go: I have The Gift of Sight! A few days ago, I had an argument with someone who despises Monsanto, but who was insisting that they'll stay in major commodity field crops, so it will be easy for those of us wanting to buy, say, orchard plants, to avoid Monsanto products. To this I said, "I don't see them allowing the rest of the industrial crop market to go unexploited as a revenue sector for them; they're too avaricious." My co-arguer scoffed. Well, I win!

Though 'tis a shallow victory, I admit sad smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 11, 2011 03:13PM

Hell,I'll start buying the WORST looking produce.
Or grow my own.
Oops,thats illegal,right?

Vinny

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 11, 2011 03:46PM

Curator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Monsanto’s efforts to cultivate new lines of
> consumer-focused produce do not involve direct
> manipulation of genetic code."
>
> thats good at least... just a bunch of selective
> breeding, like normal hybrids...at least according
> to the article... could be worse, they could be
> splicing squid DNA into it that makes it glow when
> its ripe so they can pay migrant workers to
> harvest it at night! no longer are there 12 hour
> work days, its 18 hour work days!!! ... that
> sounded funnier in my head...

It would be funnier if it wasn't so close to the truth. Scary.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: April 11, 2011 08:47PM

I just planted a few charetais melons from france. And also some watermelon seeds. Both are supposed to be heirloom. I dug in some 'chicky do do' brand fertilizer. Its the @#$%& and feathers. i hope that will help everything grow. there are not a whole lot of choices for fertilizers in the immediate area, that one basically being the only organic one.

What would have been a good vegan fertilizer if one was available? you know I didn't see any in the local store. It was either that or bone meal or something, or some chemical fertilizer. At least on the bag it said that its safe for children and pets.

My partners sister recommended some fertilizer for the lawn, which she insisted be used. That had A LOT of warnings against breathing and getting in contact with clothes or skin. My partner said whoa...what a difference, why would anyone use synthetic?

Date: April 11, 2011 09:24PM

Compost is excellent but of course it takes a while to make it winking smiley.
Seaweed is good too. What you used will do it though. Happy gardening!

Date: April 11, 2011 09:35PM

Coco,
Thank you. I hope that I get more than two melons this summer. I am planting early. I don't even know for sure if I am out of the frost period, but I see other people starting to plant. My partner says that I am definately safe. Its early. So I am hoping that I will be sharing watermelon by the 4th of july!

Only the future will tell. I planted a variety that is supposed to be very deep red, and very sweet. It has seeds, so its very traditional. I will like it I am sure, but my partners neice and nephew...well. They aren't to into seeded fruit. Their grandmother actually wanted me to pick out not fully formed seeds in a 'seedless' watermelon last year. Made me pretty upset. those two are cute, but sometimes they get treated like a little prince and princess. I am sure they can pick out their own seeds.

Date: April 11, 2011 09:37PM

Wow, those poor kids. Not being given the space to do things for themselves is surely robbing them of self-sufficiency later on. How sad. A life of the utmost convenience is no life at all IMHO.

Date: April 11, 2011 10:49PM

you have made me ravenously hungry for watermelon mislu...lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 13, 2011 09:49PM

Thanks curator,
I am a bit depressed. Its good for my MIL, but bad for me. Someone made a bid for the house and property, its set to close in the end of june. My partner says there is always a possibility that the deal could fall through. Also that I might still have access to the garden for awhile, as the buyer says he doesn't want to do anything right away.

I know how that goes! Its sad my garden space may be a parking lot before the years is up! depressing.

Date: April 13, 2011 09:55PM

well, the people who bought my parents house did let me come back and take cuttings from the plants... maybe they wont make your garden a parking lot?

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 14, 2011 11:39AM

Well, they may wait a season, but its scheduled to eventually become doctors offices with a big lot in the back. Its sad. I guess I can't count on winning the multistate jackpot. I remember thinking I would like to buy it for the garden, and sentimenal reasons, but otherwise I am not really interested. its old and needs some work. So maybe that is why I didn't win...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables