Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chocolate nightmares (nibs)
Posted by: jimtoo ()
Date: April 14, 2011 06:46AM

Holy crap, what a mistake to eat chocolate nibs. Does anyone believe this stuff (crap) is actually healthy? I'd never eaten them before, and bought a bag of cashews covered with chocolate nibs as a snack from a raw foods restaurant in Chicago today for the long drive home. I admit, I just knew I was going to be sorry for doing so. Sure enough, by the time I got back my body buzzed from head to toe. I feel like a player on one of those old electric football games. You know, the one you plugged in, hit the switch, and watched the players buzz around the board (usually in circles). That's me, though I probably just drastically dated myself (anyone under 50, especically video game lovers, will never understand such past, brain-dead enjoyment).

It's 2:30 in the morning and I've been pacing the floors trying to work off the high. I don't know if I'll ever sleep again. These nibs seem more like fish food, something for a school of pirhanas to get hyped up on before tearing into flesh. Fortunately I didn't eat more than I did. I'm not sure I would have survived it (at least I haven't yet turned into a flesh-eating zombie, though the night aint' over). Now I have nothing to do but pace and post. I hope this isn't a mistake, like the old saying, don't drink and dial (you know, don't call an ex significant other when tanked). Hopefully I'll eventually get some sleep and won't end up regretting in the morning - or afternoon - that I nibbed and posted.

Never again; just say no to nibs...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chocolate nightmares (nibs)
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 14, 2011 06:54AM

to be honest, im mildly envious of those who can feel this way from chocolate or caffeine, neither seems to have the tiniest effect on me in that way, I feel a bit more focused and calm though, Apparently thats common for anyone who has true ADD/ADHD, such stimulants calm us down and help us focus.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 14, 2011 10:20AM

Some who have stimulant sensitivity, weak adrenal glands, anxiety or panic disorders should give cacao a miss.

Infact cacao should probably be a now and again treat rather than an everyday thing, cacao contains stimulants such as theobromine and caffeine which used long term can wear out the adrenal glands.

I tried a theobromine extract a few years back and was having a panic attack for hours.

Its a pity they contain stimulants as there tasty, one if not the richest source of antioxidants per weight, have lots of precursor mood boosting compounds, rich in magnesium and other nutrients etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 10:27AM by powerlifer.

Date: April 14, 2011 02:21PM

Oh man, don't be envious. It's a sick, sick feeling, as if my entire nervous system was frazzled and on the verge of sizzling into oblivion. I had the energy to crank out a novel, but it would have had the intelligence of a walrus on crack. I finally slept a few hours but I'm still buzzed. Coffee now does the same thing to me. Once upon a time I could drink a cup of coffee at midnight and fall asleep. Haven't had it for years now, it was easy to give up, because it got to the point where I could have a cup of joe at 10 am and not be able to fall asleep that night. No doubt my adrenals have seen better days. They have a preference for meditation and chamomile tea, while sitting under the shade of a tree. Amazing to me that others could eat these and find a peaceful sea...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2011 02:32PM

I am similarly sensitive to caffeine. There are just people who don't feel it as much, then others who like that sensation of being very stimulated. I'm not into it, never liked rollercoasters or horror films either. I just don't need to be that stimulated, gently does it in my case. Well, for most things anyhow.

Date: April 14, 2011 04:31PM

I'm with you on rollercoasters and horror films. Never understood the thrill. Hated the Exorcist and the Shining and haven't watched any since, except a date once dragged me to Christine by Stephen King, about a car gone mad. I couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous it was, which only made her mad. She never went out with me after that. I think what always bothered me the most about the truly disturbing horror films was not so much the films themselves but the thoughts that went into making them. Why would you want to focus your life on the horrible? Give me reality-based dialogue and human drama and something intellectually stimulating. Watched the Insider again recently, with Russell Crowe and Al Pacino and Christopher Plummer. Great film, in my humble opinion.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 14, 2011 05:30PM

I love cacao... although it doesn't have that much of a stimulating effect on me. NOwhere near as much as tea or coffee anyway and I like those too (although coffee is probably the worst thing I ever let myself ingest, very unhealthy). I agree any stimulant isn't the healthiest thing but I would rather have some chocolate in my life than worry too much about being perfect.

That's funny about rollercoasters and horror films because I am not only a HUGE fan of riding the biggest, tallest, most scary rollercoasters on earth, but I'm also a dedicated horror film fanatic! Horror is by far my most favorite genre of film and I've got a huge collection of all the classics, lol. The scarier and more graphic the better! AHHH I love it, it's my favorite thing to do on a rainy day.

Stimulation junkie, lol grinning smiley I might give up the coffee and tea one day but nothing will ever touch my chocolate/horror movie fests.

Date: April 14, 2011 05:35PM

"Why would you want to focus your life on the horrible?"

^JUst had to address this...

See I am a very peaceful person in my real life. I don't like violence or anything like that. But with these movies, it's about the thrill ride. My favorite scary movies are ones where I can relate to the characters who are in trouble, especially when they aren't stupid characters who deserve what they get, but realistic people who fell into a horrible situation through no fault of their own-something that could happen to any of us. I love watching and experiencing the nightmare right along with them, thinking about what I would do in their situation, how I would survive. It's not that I enjoy or get off on seeing blood or horrible murders, it's that FIGHT for survival that I love to see and experience. It's a way to experience an adrenaline rush without having to leave the safety of your home... just... a thrill ride!

But I suppose if you don't like rollercoasters either, you just wouldn't get it. winking smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 14, 2011 05:46PM

Not to totally derail the thread, but I am likewise not a fan of those movies where someone pops out of nowhere or wields a butcher knife or points a gun. I spend most of my time during these scenes shielding my eyes. I just can't do it! But Cora, when you mentioned survival, I LOVE psychological thrillers where there's not a lot of blood and gore but it's still dangerous on that emotional level. Like "Psycho" or "Fatal Attraction." One of my very fave movies is "Sleeping with the Enemy." For those who never saw it, Julia Roberts is married to an abusive (psycho controlling) man and plots her escape. It is one of those types of movies are just very absorbing.

Date: April 14, 2011 06:12PM

Well, all I can say is, you guys are sickos...smiling smiley

Kidding of course, to each their own, but I hated Psycho, Fatal Attraction, and Sleeping with the Enemy. Give me Woody Allen, The Insider, The Door in the Floor, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Hours, Fargo, The Piano, In Bruge...

Date: April 14, 2011 07:02PM

Yes! Sleeping with the Enemy, I love that one!

To be fair though I don't "hate" any movies really. I'm quite an easy to please gal. smiling smiley

Date: April 14, 2011 07:42PM

Jimtoo: I was gonna add that I am a big fan of "art" films or indepdents. I love Woody Allen, the guy who did "Magnolia" and "Boogie Nights," and other such films. But I do think there is something compelling about psychological studies. And NOT "Silence of the Lambs!" But did you see "Blue Valentine?" Very heavy and yet also a great study of human behavior (in all its negative "glory"eye rolling smiley)

Date: April 14, 2011 07:44PM

As for the KAH-KAH-OW, I got duped on the powder. Went to a health store, bought some powder and then thought--wait--cacao is just cocoa powder! It's raw, yeah, but they jack up the price, call it cacao instead...

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 14, 2011 07:46PM

A substance that is a depressant, if given in a diluted form, will actually be a stimulant. So when something like cacao has a relaxing or depressant effect, its because its a powerful stimulant and the body is just too overwhelmed to eliminate the toxin.

Date: April 14, 2011 08:18PM

Why do you feel it's a "toxin"? As far as everything I've read it contains many good nutrients and antioxidants.

Not saying one should eat gallons of it a day, but it seems a good thing for your diet if you keep it in moderation.

Date: April 14, 2011 08:32PM

I don't agree with that whole theory that the reason it stimulates you is because your body cant get rid of it toxin theory.

The reason for the stimulation is because caffeine and to a lesser degree theobromine work as CNS stimulants on various receptor sites.

Depressants are usually different mostly having an affinity for GABA and opiate receptors.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:06PM

Raw chocolate products don't really affect me, but then I don't binge on them. Raw cashews, however, have made me feel quite antic in the past--sometimes, they are toxic, so . . .

Date: April 14, 2011 09:07PM

You know, I like cashews in prepared dishes but not so much on their own. After only a couple of them I feel yucky. Weird Tam, what's that all about?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:19PM

coco,

Raw cashews, or those improperly processed, contain a caustic chemical called urushiol, which is extremely toxic in large amounts, but even in small amounts sickening to certain individuals. I truly believe in the body's giving a distinct chemical response to certain things, because when I eat more than a few cashews, it's as though I'm hearing a telegraph ticking, "Please stop you are hurting me."

Date: April 14, 2011 09:30PM

Whoa, that's the stuff that makes you rashy from stinging nettle. Have you ever eaten that, do you get a reaction? I was planning on raiding the patch at the cottage but, um, now I'm not so sure...

Date: April 14, 2011 10:16PM

I did see and enjoy Blue Valentine along time ago. Weird but interesting and entertaining.

As far as cashews, if I eat too many they will sit in my gut like a party of slugs feasting on slime, but a few handfuls usually don't bother me, which is about what I had. They don't give me the buzz those nibs did. Whether those nibs are a toxin or not, all I can say is that my carefully designed scientific study on one potent male subject resulted in a toxic-like reaction. So, obviously, no further studies are deemed necessary...smiling smiley

Date: April 14, 2011 10:19PM

"Blue Valentine" came out this year so perhaps you are thinking of another film? Funny thing about me and cashews...I love them roasted and salted but they feel icky when inside me...I don't know why that is...

Date: April 14, 2011 10:30PM

Oops, yep, I was thinking of the David Lynch film Blue Velvet with Isabella Rossellini and Dennis Hopper.

Date: April 14, 2011 10:30PM

"Blue Velvet." LOL- yup, that was a strange one!

Date: April 14, 2011 10:55PM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A substance that is a depressant, if given in a
> diluted form, will actually be a stimulant. So
> when something like cacao has a relaxing or
> depressant effect, its because its a powerful
> stimulant and the body is just too overwhelmed to
> eliminate the toxin.

complete and utter hogwash if that is in reply to me being ADD, because stimulants are specifically used to treat people with ADD and ADHD because our brain chemistry is different, they effect us differently, it has nothing to do with our body being overwhelmed, if that was the case there would be tons of people who dont have ADD or ADHD that find it relaxing as well prana, there is also the fact that stimulants help those of us with ADD/ADHD get super focused, while also calming us... sure it could be a toxin, sure it could still be bad for us, but its effects have nothing to do with our body being to overwhelmed to eliminate the toxin,LOL...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 14, 2011 10:58PM

Also, Jimtoo, id love to read a novel written by a walrus on crack...it sounds like it would be an interesting experience,hehehehehe.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 14, 2011 11:59PM

Ha, now that you mention it Curator, could be interesting to explore the world through the crack-filled eyes of a walrus, as long as it doesn't take a fistful of chocolate nibs to get me into that state of mind.

Date: April 15, 2011 07:41AM

good point Jimtoo,lol... id rather explore it from a nice and safe book, than something that actually made me FEEL like a walrus on crack...lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 15, 2011 10:23AM

The funny bit is i believe if heated a study has shown the caffeine and theobromine to actually have a sedative effect rather than its normal stimulant effect.

It showed no increase in heart rate, bp etc which myocardial and cns stimulants do.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 15, 2011 03:09PM

I had one of those electric football games!
Most of my men went in circles,or got stuck in the corner.

Vinny

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables