Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How long does it take to detox from gluten damage?
Date: April 17, 2011 03:32PM

Hi, after being totally unraw after my holiday, I started eating more bread/pasta- mostly to make packed lunches for work etc.

This coincided with horrible stomach cramps, loud gurgly belly etc. This week, I cut out the gluten, upped the raw intake back up- lots of fruit, salads etc, and my belly generally feels a lot better smiling smiley But, I don't feel 100% yet.

I read that in can take months and months for the intestines to recover from long term gluten damage. I've pretty much always had a sensitive stomach, so would not be surprised if I've had this for a long time (I've had other allergies since I was a kid) and just not noticed because I generally don't eat high-gluten foods.

Can anyone suggest some good reading material, particular foods/supplements and things I can do to try and help return my belly to good working order?

Anyone out there with stories of how long it took to try and feel 'normal' again?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long does it take to detox from gluten damage?
Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 17, 2011 03:39PM

I've been gluten free almost 3 years now and I still feel I am healing my intestines from the damage. But you have to completely avoid gluten. If you're sensitive to it that is, which it seems you are.

As far as recovering from an individual glutening, that's hard to say. An accidental ingestion (which, if I had to guess, would equal probably less than a teaspoon of gluten)for me the effects would last about one month. But that's just the noticeable effects. The damage probably lasted longer.

I don't get glutened anymore because my diet now doesn't contain ANY grain and I'm careful about my spices and what not so there just isn't any room for cross contamination. But in the past when I'd accidentally get glutened I'd do a high raw diet for a week or so after similar to what I eat now, and it'd help. Basically, lots of fresh foods, fruits and veggies...

It's a shame it took years after discovering I was celiac to start learning about the raw diet. It would have helped so much if I had just immediately gone high raw and grain free vs strugging trying to do the gluten free SAD diet with all those processed foods for years!

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 17, 2011 04:05PM

I would say a fresh veggie juice fast would be a good idea.
Maybe about 10 days.

Vinny

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 17, 2011 04:08PM

Yeah, absolutely, fasting helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables