Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
So I go to the personal trainer today..at noon
Posted by: miss jules ()
Date: April 18, 2011 02:07PM

You guys interested in what she has to tell me?

She supposed to understand a raw diet as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So I go to the personal trainer today..at noon
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 18, 2011 02:19PM

Sure im a personal trainer myself so very interested as always. Just watch some personal trainers are just as much a scam as various nutritionists.

Ive seen many dangerous, poor form and various bad dietary advice recommended in the gyms i used to frequent.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 18, 2011 02:43PM

I am interested, especially since she is into raw. I'd like to know what kind of exercise regimen she recommends.

Date: April 18, 2011 02:45PM

Does anyone have ideas on questions I should be sure to ask?

Date: April 18, 2011 03:16PM

Depends what your goals are fitness wise really miss jules.

Date: April 18, 2011 04:16PM

Hi PL

Thinking about what my fitness goals are is interesting, I don't have any well defined ones.

So that turns into a question doesn't it?

What are reasonable fitness goals when I am happy to dedicate two hours a day to focused gym work, maybe she can help me lay out some reasonable goals and ways to record progress.

Thanks!

I have no idea how to even record goals or progress other than hopping on a scale once every few weeks.

Weight loss is not necessarily a goal for me, it'll come with time, just the maintenance and prevention of injury, proper form and lifting are the things I'm interested in right now.

Date: April 18, 2011 09:29PM

Well, we really zoomed though that. Preface, this girl really knows her stuff.

She took a look at my food journals and made corrections/suggestions.

Apparently there are two types of proteins in foods, one is fast processing, one is slow processing.

In a textbook world, my protein intake is whacked. I need to change that.

My fat intake is non existent, have to change that...this explains the weight plateau I found so stupid.

So I'm going to be looking at a slow process protein to add in, and also add fats from avocados or nuts or something.

My body fat percent is at 64% which is ridiculous of course, she said another twenty pounds of weight loss should put me in the realm for better health percentages.

She'd like to see me in there twice a week but I explained that I'm not really honestly ready for this due to the oral health procedures coming. I'm already awake to the fact that this is going to be a journey and I"m going to be feeling less than stellar as they rip my face apart.

I'm in for a lot of pain and suffering - so I'm going to wait a bit until this shadow is manageable to add one more thing in.

I'll go back and refine my diet some more, I know I"m going to end up on sheer juice for a while - there will be no chewing of anything.

When I'm stable and recovered from this, I'll check in on my weight and body fat then again. My plate is pretty much full right now.

Any suggestions on natural sources of creatine other than the powders? I know it's not for everyone, but I'm using about 50 grams of whey protein now...her suggestion is to head toward the mark of about 80 grams of protein for this, half of it slow acting protein, half of it high moving protein.

Whey is a fast acting protein and it's half life in the body is only about four hours, so I have 16 hours a day I need to amp up protein stores.

I'm only taking in about 600-700 calories a day right now, and I need to obviously move that up - I think with higher fat foods I should be able to increase that to acceptable levels and assure my body I'm not starving or something.

Any thoughts?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 19, 2011 12:32AM

the body produces its own creatine from amino acids like arginine, glycine, and methionine, without having to directly consume creatine from a non-vegan source .. i would source out the foods that are high in these 3 and let your body (which is an amazing thing btw grinning smiley ) do its work smiling smiley

Arginine [dietaryfiberfood.com]

gylcine [www.dietandfitnesstoday.com]

Methionine [www.dietandfitnesstoday.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 19, 2011 04:10AM

So busy of a day today, too much running around...I have to look at my notes again tomorrow..

I misidentified the slow protein, she recommended casein protein.

My mistake in recording the word when I used creatine<-wrong word

Casein<-correct word.

I'm doing a really quick review in Wikipedia and I'm just beside myself....one of the sources for this protein is cheese. That's definitely on my no no list.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Is there some other form for a slow release protein?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 04:15AM by miss jules.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 19, 2011 12:39PM

yes, lettuce and mangoes

Date: April 19, 2011 01:05PM

fresh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes, lettuce and mangoes

Jules was looking for another source of the slow digesting protein casein which to my knowledge isn't contained in any non-vegan food.

Date: April 19, 2011 01:54PM

What i meant was that neither lettuce or mangoes are slow digesting in the way that casein is.

There are no vegan proteins that equal to caseins ability to digest slowly sadly. Ive been reading some good articles recently about how poorly absorbed plant protein is and how we need several times more the guidelines for protein if using plant based sources.

Date: April 19, 2011 02:24PM

I'm really on the fence with this.

With a body fat of 64.4% right now (ideally to start training I need to be at 22%) I need to drop another 20 pounds.

I have no idea how my body would react to a powder casein product short term.

I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and use it for the weight loss and then clean things up after I'm in a decent body fat zone.

I'm weighing the health risks of the body fat percent and what that puts me at risk for against a short term use of this stuff.

She'd like to see me doing this now and the training now, but-my first issue is to get through some of these heavy dental procedures and recovery. I don't see me in the gym with a trainer at the same time I'm going through this heavy work; I'm going to be in some considerable pain for a while.

For optimum recovery I need to have a well-done foods program obviously. I really don't know what to think.

The interesting thing he (the dentist said) mentioned was that all his experiences say that I'm going to feel both physically and mentally different (in a good way) after this is done.

I do get up every morning with a stiff face and sore jaws from grinding my teeth and such, there is a lot of infection under the gums and in the bones; so that makes sense.

Should be interesting to see some of these goals set and met.

Date: April 19, 2011 02:30PM

Casein's main reason for supplementation is mainly for bodybuilders who want to go for a slow release protein near bed time to keep them anabolic rather than in a state of catabolism.

As far as weight loss goes its not really needed at all. Weight loss in most cases pending no stubborn metabolism/thyroid issues comes purely down to calories in vs calories expended.

I will come back to your big post later, i seen your interested in lifting if i read the other posts right, good thing its great for woman, improving bone density etc. Most tend to stick solely with machines which im not a great fan of as they don't strengthen the stabilizer muscles like free weights do, plus some of them limit full range of motion.

A mix of both is fine.

Date: April 19, 2011 03:14PM

Yes Power, I'm deeply interested in lifting.

The first thing I want off my body is my "bingo wings" you know, chicken arms, the fat from under my arms; that is for me, a real sore spot.

Date: April 19, 2011 03:36PM

Bingowings is mainly down to excess fat which losing weight will help and increasing muscle mass slightly will also help.

Hopefully your personal trainer is a good one and can show you the proper technique for the lifts. You want them to base the routine around compound exercises such as bench press, over head press, squatting, deadlifting, bent over rows and any supplementary compound exercises such as pull/chin ups, dips and other olympic lifts.

Dont worry about getting big or looking like arnold swarzenegger just because your using free weights, this is a common reason why most woman give free weights a miss sadly. Not something that happens, most get the look there going for a more toned appearance. Where as many buy into the misconception that tone is achieved from doing as many repetitions as possible. You dont need to go above 12 reps really, any more than that and your training localized endurance of the muscle which is pointless with weights and better trained specific to your needs.

This is why many don't make gains as they up the repetitions rather than the weight. Proper usage of progressive overload and close dietary monitoring is the keys to gains, aswell as sufficient rest and focusing most of your routine around compound exercises.

Date: April 19, 2011 05:01PM

Good thoughts Power, thanks!

I'm wanting fat loss and tone, not necessarily definition and bulk.

She mentioned about switching up weights and routines for muscle memory, and we didn't get into it deeply, so I need to be learning about this concept as well.

Date: April 19, 2011 05:02PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Powerlifer, does the material you've been reading
> about plant digestibility take into account raw
> forms of protein?

I have no idea at the moment, im getting clips here and there pasted from a friend. Seemingly there's a few studies which have proven this, i had been reading on another raw forum when the issue popped up.

But i cant seem to find the data on any of this from searching google, will try again later. Must be searching the wrong thing. The consensus was from those who had seen the study was that cooked animal sourced protein digested better than plant sources so that would eliminate raw anyway.

Switching up your routine now and again is always a good idea, but i dont play to heavily on the idea. A consistent routine in which utilizes progressive overload and now and again adding in different exercises is a good idea. You can add more advanced methods down the line.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 05:04PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 19, 2011 05:26PM

Date: April 19, 2011 06:25PM

This is like the 20th time I've read about the China Study as a reference.

Pretty controversial stuff.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 20, 2011 03:25PM

My theory of exercise is that we (I) need to move throughout the day. We (I) should never sit still for more than 15 min., unless having a nap, but even those should be short during the day. I haven't read any expert confirming this, but I believe that working out 15min. 4 times a day is better than working out once for an hour.

So, I am trying to teach myself this knew system smiling smiley It seems to be working - I have an old simple workout machine next to my desk and I try to use it as often as I can. I don't even check the time - I just do as much as I like, trying not to make it an obligation. It involves both arms and legs, and does a nice job. This means that I will no longer need to play soccer or basketball and flirt with serious injuries all the time. If I am able to use this workout and some running - I am good. I would love to add swimming, but I hate the chlorine in the pools, so I have to wait for the summer.

Date: April 20, 2011 04:06PM

funny you should mention that rab..I'm sort of the same way, internally...I have some slow circulation or something, I get cold quickly..so I make it a point to always be moving around, it makes me feel well..I know if I sit too long, I start to feel a chill..

With the exercise change, I also notice I get stiff quickly and *have* to move or it's like I seize up and feel tightness in my back..not exactly pain..but, it goes away when I start moving

Sitting for long periods of time is not good for me.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 20, 2011 09:15PM

working out 4 times a day for 15 mins - in a non descript way is fine of course - but just don't fool yourself that you are taking any real exercise

Date: April 21, 2011 01:37PM

miss jules, just like flipperjan said, a lot of people don't think this is a true exercise, but I think that 4x15 min is a LOT of exercise, and if I manager to run a few times a weak, this is all I need. Swimming would be great, it can replace everything else.

Date: April 21, 2011 01:40PM

It all depends on the type of exercise and your goals really.

HIIT and and high intensity training you can lower the duration. But if your training to be an endurance runner, marathons etc your not going to be able to get around not training for long periods.

Weight lifting sessions 45-60 minutes is optimal.

Date: April 21, 2011 02:14PM

Yep, it really is an individual goal issue.

Power, what do you know about "muscle memory" and exercise. I keep hearing this and don't know exactly what this means.

I go today to start the first portion of my dental treatment - it's a long drawn out story, but I start today, and it's going to result in some significant changes for me. I'm super nervous.

I feel like you do when you are on a roller coaster and just getting to zoom down a big hill. Weird. Had trouble sleeping last night from worrying about it.

I'm probably not going to feel like keeping up with things for a few days, and I've had a LOT of errands this week. It cut into any time I had open for going to the gym, and by NOT going, my muscles are really sore.

What can I do to cut down on the soreness? Anything?

Date: April 21, 2011 02:24PM

Yeah don't stress yourself further if the dental work is going to be a big one.

Soreness if from weights usually results from a lack of protein and/or calories.

I wrote abit about muscle memory above:

Switching up your routine now and again is a good idea as far as muscle memory goes, but i don't play to heavily on the idea. I prefer a consistent routine in which utilizes the principles of progressive overload and now and again adding in different exercises and different methods. You can add more advanced training methods down the line.

Date: April 21, 2011 02:35PM

As far as bone rebuilding and recovery (this is extraction of a lot of teeth, I think six total are planned over time plus implants) dental wise, is there anything I can do dietary wise to help?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 21, 2011 08:02PM

yeah, muscle memory has little to really do with health or muscle building or anything like that, its really useful for martial arts training though, muscle memory in my experience has been more about teaching your muscles to react in certain ways, in certain situations, almost automatically, to increase reaction times... I know training "muscle memory" helped me a ton with that when doing American kenpo karate, but I do not even know for sure if it really is what it says it is, or if it just trains something else entirely...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: April 21, 2011 11:54PM

miss jules, that is another thing we have in common - I am planning some serious dental work also. I am hoping I will do it in Serbia, Macedonia or Bosnia, where the prices are significantly lower. I have a very good insurance here in US, but it does not cover implants. I have to put a few, they are 3000$ a piece here (the best price I have seen, with crown). So, doing it abroad, I will save money, provided that I find a good dentist.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables