Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what is high fat raw diet?
Posted by: merry ()
Date: May 06, 2011 01:11PM

Hello, I have been reading on this forum about different types of raw food diet - like high fruit, high fat etc.

The high fat raw diet is often slated. I would like to know the following,

How much is considered high fat and where do the high fats people talk about normally come from?
nuts or avacado, or oils in salad dressing? How much of these things can be eaten without it being considered high fat?
Also if I am a person who never puts on weight no matter what I eat, is it so necessary to avoid fats?
How can fats actually cause candida as some people claim? What about virgin coconut oil which is often said to have many health benefits?

Thank you if any one can give me more information about this..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what is high fat raw diet?
Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: May 06, 2011 03:51PM

I eat all of those things you mentioned. Avocados and coconut oil are a big part of my diet. Some seeds and nuts too. I have no idea what line has to be crossed for it to be considered a "high fat" diet though... I don't really keep track of these things. But no, I don't believe it causes Candida. A small camp of people (the low fat raw vegans) tend to believe that but not everyone... I used to have candida issues and I don't notice them anymore since being high raw, and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat really as long as I'm not taking any processed sugars in. My sugars are fruit and raw honey (sorry not vegan I know).

Date: May 07, 2011 12:37PM

I have read that coconut oil is very good against candida so I'm going to stick with it for now. Its good to know that its possible to overcome candida while eating fruit because I've never felt good about cutting it out of my diet for long periods of time as some candida programs advocate.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 07, 2011 01:09PM

The fats cause candida theory is bogus. As per your other thread the reason some cant tolerate carbohydrates when they suffer from dysbiosis/candidiasis is in some they suffer from gut fermentation syndrome which can cause carbohydrate intolerance.

If you do suffer from candida the best idea is to repopulate your gut flora with fermented foods and to feed them with prebiotics.

Fruits dont cause candida either, nor do fats. The most common cause of candida, bacterial overgrowth and various other opportunistic microbial infections is from anti-biotics, they kill off the good bacteria which compete for space, keep the PH acidic and they produce various acids and anti-bacterial/fungal compounds which keep these microbes in check.

Coconut oil is a good anti-fungal/bacterial/viral but in the case of the pathogenic fungal form of candida all this does is temporarily lower the populations. You need to get the terrain back to an acidic PH which keeps candida in its harmless natural yeast form. You can do this by raising stomach acid with raw apple cider vinegar and repopulating the acidic producing good bacteria with the fermented foods above.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2011 01:13PM by powerlifer.

Date: May 07, 2011 04:22PM

I wanted to add that for some reason, those Gts Kombucha bottled drinks cause me candida flares. I can't handle any form of kombucha actually. Later someone told me they can flare up yeast in some people. So can mushrooms, apparently although they don't seem to do that to me.

So be careful with "good bacteria" stuff. I tried for years to eat probiotic foods and that path never worked for me. I still have too leaky a gut.

Date: May 07, 2011 04:36PM

If your allergic to yeast or fungi then kombucha, mushrooms and even nutritional yeast can cause problems. But that doesn't mean the above are bad for everyone. People here fungi and yeast and run a mile. The yeast in nutritional yeast is inactive, its good for you pending that your aren't allergic to yeast of course.

There are many fermented foods such as water kefir, cultured veggies, miso etc. These are good for a kick start in repopulating your flora, the key is prebiotics there are literally thousands of strains of gut bacteria and you can only repopulate so many. Feeding and stimulating the growth/activity with prebiotics is the way forward in any dysbiosis treatment.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 07, 2011 06:18PM

It seems to be anything containing bacteria, for me. We tried making our own water kefir and it made me sick too.

Date: May 07, 2011 06:21PM

Depends some can get very heavy die off symptoms. Trying prebiotics might be the way forward especially if leaky gut is occurring which can occur from a lack of gut flora.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: May 09, 2011 12:25AM

Powerlifer, who have you personally given advice to and cured their candida?

Date: May 09, 2011 10:35AM

brian1cs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Powerlifer, who have you personally given advice
> to and cured their candida?

Considering its the standard way to cure dysbiosis who knows how many. Personally i could wrack of many names who have got better and actually really suffered from candidiasis rather than self diagnosis.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 09, 2011 11:32AM

Powerlifer,c'mon man, don't give me wishy washy answers!

There are many standard ways to "cure" illnesses that we as raw fooders don't subscribe to. Your way is one of them.

I want to know who you personally mentored and taught and showed the way to cure their candida. I want to know the people who you've been there for day after day, week after week until their symptoms disappeared.

Doug Graham showed many, successfully, the way to stop their candida overgrowth using the same way you call bogus.

Where are your testimonials of success?

Date: May 09, 2011 11:54AM

Lol i like the fact your making me out to be some "guru"smiling smiley, but im really not i don't mentor, i dont charge people extortionate money for bogus information. I merely post on a few forums from personal experience of being ill and what got myself well.

"I want to know who you personally mentored and taught and showed the way to cure their candida. I want to know the people who you've been there for day after day, week after week until their symptoms disappeared." - Dude listen to yourself what are you on about, im not a fancy airy prairy guru or leader, i don't charge people, im not a doctor, im merely a bloke who was ill for near a decade and got better, along the way has picked up little bits and pieces of information and shares it, i post now and again with what has helped me if the thread is relevant. Why is everyone whos got an opinion on the raw forums got to be a guru or a leader?

You could probably wrack off a few usernames on this forum alone people ive helped with various tid bits of information.

That is your opinion that fermented foods and prebiotics dont help dysbiosis, fair does but im aloud to have my opinion also and from personal experience of what worked for me. You, jim, X, A or B wont change what has helped me.

Anyway im off again, i dont have the will nor care to bicker with people like yourself over crap. If you want to actually add input to the thread or the physiological side of these theories then im more than happy for a little debate although in this case it has been done 100 times on this forum nothing a search wouldnt clear everything up, but i dont come here to fight over crap like the above.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 12:01PM by powerlifer.

Date: May 09, 2011 01:40PM

Oh shucks, hell no. I'm not making you out to be some guru. You're not even in the class as far as I'm concerned.

So you have helped no one defeat candida. That's fine. I didn't think you did.

Doug Graham has helped many.

You were told once to debate your candida theory with him on Vegsource or his website, yet you refused. You're a coward.

I wouldn't take your advice if I'm dying.

Date: May 10, 2011 01:58PM

A bit sad about having this type of message posted here....it would be nice if a moderator could remove posts that are basically slanging matches that people could have by contacting each other directly if they which to do so....
It seems sad that high fruit eaters that I am coming across seem to thrive on putting other people down and critizing ....kind of puts me off that kind of diet as i dont wish to become like that. maybe they are not grounded enough with so much fruit?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 10, 2011 08:25PM

brian, dude, powerlifer has contributed a lot of useful information here for a long time and without ego but with the clear intention to help others. Whereas you aren't helping anyone with anything here, least of all, yourself. Your defense of Doug Graham's protocol[of which I'm a fan] is commendable, but your way of going about it ain't.

merry, as to your original question, high fat raw would be lower glycemic but high in nuts and unrefined oils. "Gourmet Raw" is a great illustration of this. Many people have found that, as long as it's raw fats, their metabolism responds differently than to cooked or processed fats, that is, their metabolism responds favorably. Only you can decide whether a type of raw diet is working for you; I did very well on gourmet raw for a few months, but then found myself wanting, and thriving better on, more of a fresh produce-based diet. You might respond differently--it's a matter of experimenting. Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 08:30PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: mindy ()
Date: May 10, 2011 09:01PM

I have gotten great advice from powerlifter. He has healed himself from adrenal problems and is extremely generous in sharing what he has learned. He has taken the time with me (via private messaging), a complete stranger, to help me heal my own problems. No charge. I am taking the herbs he recommended and have changed my lifestyle such that I may heal like he has. He is an inspiration to me. He understands that the 80-10-10 is a dangerous diet for those with adrenal gland problems, and it is great to get support on that as well.

(This is the Mindy who wrote on the board several months ago, not to be confused with the new Mindy 66.)

Date: May 10, 2011 09:17PM

Thanks for the support people but before anyone jumps on that quote about 80/10/10 from mindy that isn't correct or what ive said, infact the large amounts of vitamin C from natural fruit sources can be restorative to adrenal fatigue which many self diganose themselves with candida i put my money on actually having different stages of adrenal fatigue. Which is why diets/lifestyles that utilize high nutrient foods i.e fruits/greens and contain no stimulants fair well and people get better in days.

Personally when it comes to adrenal fatigue and being that i had a very severe case the 3 most important elements i used were adaptogenic herbs, high vitamin C foods i.e fruits and high vitamin b5 foods at that time i wasn't 100% vegan so bee pollen(richest b5 source and good for nourishing the endocrine system). Vitamin C is the most important adrenal gland nutrient followed by vitamin b5 and sadly the more stress you get the more you use up these vitamins.

Cheers again, just thought id clear that upsmiling smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 09:23PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: mindy ()
Date: May 10, 2011 09:27PM

Sorry, powerlifter, I should be more careful of my wording.

What I meant was:

If your adrenal glands don't produce enough aldosterone, then your body will do the opposite of what most people's bodies do: it will dump sodium and hold onto potassium. When I did the 80-10-10, I felt very sick and weak. I had stopped eating salt, and was eating large amounts of high-potassium fruit. Since I did have adrenal gland problems (unbeknownst to me at the time), it turned out I was suffering from hyponatremia (too low sodium in the body). I consider this to be 'dangerous'.

Powerlifter never said the diet was dangerous. But he did seem to understand that a higher fat diet was more conducive to healing adrenal problems, and that was very helpful to me to get that support.

Mindy

Date: May 15, 2011 03:05PM

Tamukha thank you for the clarification about the high fat raw diet. I guess my inclination right now is to just eat a balance of everything fresh but not go over on the nuts and oils.
The gourmet type of diet seems to me like something to eat now and then rather than all the time as the recipes are a bit complicated. Also they nearly all involve dehydrators. I dont have one. I dont see that as a very energy efficiant way of making food - some recipes seem to involve 2 days of dehydration - doesnt that consume a lot of power???

Date: May 15, 2011 04:01PM

Gourmet raw should be used seldom like you say merry, i wouldn't like to see the macro breakdown of a full day of eating raw gourmet as its bound to be very fat dominant due to a large percentage of the recipes being dependent on nuts/seeds for the main ingredients. Nothing wrong with a little raw crackers a day though etc.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 04:01PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: May 15, 2011 10:46PM

RAW NAKEDNESS...I doubt anyone except the most sturdy well-adjusted person doesn't feel socially exposed and vulnerable when first going raw...especially during the 2 year change over period where the detoxification is still heavy and the temperature yet to reset. Cells built of raw materials are more sentient and receptive to all of the electromagnetic spectrum including thought. To deal with this hypersensivity phenomena you can take up some form of energy art like Qigong or yoga to learn how to circulate and process emotional charge better. Exercise helps social adaptation in general, as does mediation and the Inner Arts. Along with various calming and nervine herbs you need to supply your cell membranes with plentiful Omega 3 from various sources. If you don't have enough fat in your diet the body will harvest fat from wherever it can and nerve sheaths can suffer. Consequently taking nerve sheath building nutrients along with olive leaf for sheath protection is very important in the first two years...in my experience it takes many more years to build up a solid coherent state in which the social toxicity of the cooked population doesn't interfere with or "dismantle" ones own neurological strength and functioning.

The chemicals are the cogs of the machine...you somewhat drive the machine and the machine somewhat drives you. Change the chemicals and the driver changes, change the driver and the chemicals change.

Here are some lists of sheath builders and calmatives:
[biologyofkundalini.com]

And here are some Inner Arts on my website:
[biologyofkundalini.com]

If you like the Inner Arts I have dozens more for my book on sovereignty....which is really the question you are asking, for if you are sufficiently yourself, plugged into the cosmos the energetic frequency, intent or behavior of others has less perturbing and disturbing effect.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 15, 2011 11:06PM

merry,

Actually, one of the things that prompted me to try to simplify my diet away from gourmet raw was that the constant hum of the Excalibur became like the beating of the "tell tale heart" to my environmentalist's ears--O, God, make it stop! smiling smiley

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: May 18, 2011 06:45PM

I feel very good on my ratios. You can see pix of what I eat every day on part III of my diet on my blog. I control my sugar and fat intake. If I didn't I would probably gain weight and have candida problemssad smiley

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables