Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Allergy to Spirulina
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: September 24, 2006 06:00AM

Hello all. I bought a drink a while ago that had both chlorella and spirulina. The first time I drunk it I was ok but each subsequent time I git a stronger allergic reaction. The supplemnts clerk told me that it was probably the spirulina and i did eat meal replacements with chlorella and had no reaction. Doea anyone know if there is a test for spirulina allergies? I want to know what in spirulina made me react and if any other food might contain the allergens.
Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Allergy to Spirulina
Posted by: GyroGirl ()
Date: September 25, 2006 12:35AM

I did try spirulina shakes a few years ago, I don't remember any specific reactions, or what the other ingredients were, but it was a supplement called Spirulina. Do you recall the name of the product you had?

I have had a few odd feelings which I suspect are food intolerance.

When it comes to food allergies, the most obvious I have are hives, one or two itchies that are round and red, experienced sometimes minutes or hours after eating, sometimes one behind an ear, on my neck or cheek. I will get congested or mucousy with certain foods, like soy and especially milk, which i avoid and will continue to. Other than that I tend to get very angry/emotional the day after having cheese, which, I think, goes back to milk.

I would love to hear you're experiences, like, what were your allergic reactions? Was it physical, emotional?

Re: Allergy to Spirulina
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: September 25, 2006 09:13AM

Thank you for taking such an interest!

I think the beverage was called Power One. I have not seen it around lately. It contained both chlorella and spirulina. the rest of the ingredients were the usual vegetables such as broccoli and beets and I think there was some wheatgrass juice too.

My allergic reaction was a severe dry fever and nausea until I vomited. Then I started feeling normal again. These symptoms got worse everytime I had the drink. I think its was 2 or 3 times. I do not see the drink anymore but I do not want to take any spirulina cointaining supplemnts/foods/drinks just in case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables