Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

So I had chia seeds for the first time
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 18, 2011 11:28PM

and I was NOT feeling them. At all. I made a savory pudding with garlic, ginger, and Bragg's. The consistency is slimy to me. I really am not one of those people who is a picky eater (unless the food is poor quality) but something about chia seeds grossed me out a bit. I even felt a little dizzy, which is odd.

Here's the question: does anyone have another way of eating them besides making a gel? Like, what would happen if I threw some in my green smoothie? I just don't want that GEL!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So I had chia seeds for the first time
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 19, 2011 12:15AM

Don't throw too many into your smoothie; if it has pectin contaning foods in it already, you may end up with The Blob!

I have made nice crackers with chia seeds in the past--blend them with a skosh of water to a paste with sea salt, lemon juice, [the dreaded]black pepper and spread thin on Teflex and dehydrate for a couple of days until crisp. One must be willing to put up with the din of the dehydrator for a day and a half, however . . .

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 19, 2011 02:18AM

I just throw some in a smoothie, that sort of pudding glop doesn't appeal to me either. Ugh. There is a difference between creamy and gelatinous.

Date: May 19, 2011 02:41PM

I don't have a dehydrator (yet) so...Funny, I put the "leftovers" in the fridge and it thickened up even more. Maybe I will prefer the more solid mass. I don't wanna waste it. My boyfriend tried a spoonful last night and proclaimed it "interesting" but something tells me I'm gonna be the one who has to down this goop.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 19, 2011 03:26PM

I just eat them off them spoon in most cases takes a while to chew them though.

Or add a tablespoon in my morning fruit smoothie. With enough water you dont even notice the chia is in there.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 19, 2011 03:31PM

Thanks, PF! I will try that one. Maybe it's just a matter of not putting too much in at once.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 15, 2011 08:06PM

Well I took them in a little pot on a long run and ate them as they were after about 2 hours. I was looking for that 'endurance' quality that they are s'posed to have. didn't notice anything. So then I tried soaking them in some orange juice first thing in the morning - left them to soak for about half an hour - they were ok - neither very nice or bad just a bit of a weird,tangy gel. Again in the endurance sense I noticed nothing at all. I'm tempted to think that they are all hype....

The lesson - IMO - be wary of that very expensive wonder food!!

Date: June 15, 2011 09:03PM

Its probably due to the slow release of nutrients due to the high fiber that they are touted as a good food for energy. But if anyones expecting a caffeine stimulant type boost from eating them its just now going to happen.

Chia seeds are a great vegan source of omega-3 aswell as many other nutrients such as protein, calcium, antioxidants etc. But yeah they are quite expensive sadly.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 16, 2011 06:40AM

I think so far the best chia I've tasted has been soaked in coconut water. It doesn't glop up nearly as much as when it's soaked in just water. It's very different because it's kind of a crunchy drink, and it's sweet in a perfect tasty way from the coconut water. It is really good.

It makes good smooth salad dressings, soaked in water and blended with avo or soaked sunflower seeds, cucumber, and lemon juice. It's pretty horrible mixed only with lemon juice.

But I also like it just soaked in water to make that gloppy stuff, nothing added. As powerlifer says, it's a great vegan source of omega-3, plus protein and calcium. It's also lower in fat than most seeds.

Date: June 16, 2011 07:29AM

Sometimes the best foods might be the foods you DON'T feel after you eat them. That's kind of how it is with chia, and one reason I really like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2011 07:30AM by suncloud.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 16, 2011 01:21PM

definately not looking for a caffeine type boost!!!

Good point Suncloud.

I certainly don't object to them soaked in fresh fruit juice - like a little pudding smiling smiley

Posted by: Hathi4 ()
Date: June 16, 2011 07:02PM

I just discovered chia seeds myself, but I'm loving them! I keep a bowl of the gel in the fridge and eat a couple of spoonfuls before I go on my morning run every day. I love the slimy texture, but I'm weird like that...haha. grinning smiley

Date: June 16, 2011 08:14PM

Hi flipperjan. Smiling back at ya! smiling smiley

Me too Hathi, total weirdo here.

Date: June 16, 2011 09:21PM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think so far the best chia I've tasted has been
> soaked in coconut water. It doesn't glop up
> nearly as much as when it's soaked in just water.
> It's very different because it's kind of a crunchy
> drink, and it's sweet in a perfect tasty way from
> the coconut water. It is really good.
>
> It makes good smooth salad dressings, soaked in
> water and blended with avo or soaked sunflower
> seeds, cucumber, and lemon juice. It's pretty
> horrible mixed only with lemon juice.
>
> But I also like it just soaked in water to make
> that gloppy stuff, nothing added. As powerlifer
> says, it's a great vegan source of omega-3, plus
> protein and calcium. It's also lower in fat than
> most seeds.

Wow, thanks for the tips. I will have to try that coco water/chia combo. Sounds promising...

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 16, 2011 10:35PM

1 part chia seed, 3 parts nut/seed milk, a little vanilla extract and then you are golden.

Paul

p.s. I seen a bear once.

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: June 16, 2011 10:40PM

Is it true your body still benefits from the omega-3's without chewing the seeds? I typically throw them in the coffee grinder but would like to cut out this process before I soak them if I could.

Date: June 17, 2011 09:30AM

Hope you like it banana who!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 17, 2011 12:38PM

I sprout chia seed on a wet paper towel or a old clean washcloth which isn't good for anything else. I just put the wet towel in a container and sprinkle on the seeds. it takes between 4-7 days to get sprouts. I then either pull them off with my fingers or cut them off with a pair of scissors. I then just toss the towel away. Usually there are some small roots left over which don't come out.

I usually have to add some more water while they are sprouting, as they tend to dry out. I sometiems put a lid on the container if the weather is too dry. but you have to watch out, as sometimes it gets moldy. So at some point it has to air out also.

Date: June 17, 2011 01:38PM

What are chia sprouts like out of interest?

Chia is very hydrophilic so its understandable that they'd dry out quickly.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: June 17, 2011 02:46PM

Powerlifter,
They remind me of alfalfa sprouts, but with more substance because of the oil content. But really they are their own thing.

Date: June 17, 2011 07:43PM

Mislu,

Thanks for that instructive description--experiment time!

Date: June 17, 2011 08:00PM

I wonder what nutrients there rich in ive never really seen any data on chia sprouts, likely high in protein, calcium, antioxidants and probably omega-3.

I must get into sprouting, i think it was the often moldy wheatgrass that puts me off. So i buy mine from the store, could no doubt be getting it for a fraction of the price growing myself.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: June 18, 2011 12:32PM

There is also a taste that reminds me of flax seed oil, which makes sense as it also has ALA like flax. I really wanted to use a traditional clay chia seed sprouter, but the stores only carry them during the holiday season as a gift. Wow I never thought of looking in a health food store, they might have it!

I heard something about chia seeds having strontium, which is supposed to be great for bones and teeth. Its the stable form, NOT the radioactive form that everyone tends to think of. And yes, strontium supplements are appearing in health food stores. I have never tried it, but like most nutrients I would rather get them from food if possible.

Date: June 18, 2011 02:55PM

Mislu,

Maybe sneak some of those chia sprouts into your mother-in-law's food!

Date: June 18, 2011 03:10PM

Funny!
Sounds like a great idea. The problem is that I never know if and when she is going to eat something. Amazingly enough when I really think about it, most of the time I don't see her eat.

I think she would notice chia seed on her coco wafers! I haven't seen those in a food pairing chart! funny! Maybe some chia seed gel on her charred hamburger, or sugar free chocolate pudding.!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables