Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
Posted by: BJ ()
Date: May 20, 2011 12:59PM

?????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 20, 2011 01:16PM

Pernicious anaemia has the same symptoms as anaemia, including tiredness, shortness of breath and fatigue. Other symptoms of anaemia can include:

* soreness of the tongue,
* loss of weight,
* pale skin, often with a lemon tint,
* intermittent diarrhoea,
* menstrual problems, and
* poor resistance to infections.

If the deficiency goes on too long, the nervous system is liable to be affected, causing:

* tingling of the fingers and toes,
* muscle weakness,
* staggering,
* tenderness in the calves, and
* confusion.
If long term you can cause irreversible nervous system damage.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 20, 2011 01:49PM

This is not a condition you want to wait until you have symptoms of as by the time it shows itself you have likely done irreversible damage to your body. Best way to determine a deficiency is testing. And ensure an adequate daily supply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 01:49PM by coco.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: May 20, 2011 02:00PM

Is it just a raw food / vegan issue, or is it also prevalent in mainstream society where it doesn't get much mention?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 20, 2011 02:15PM

BJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it just a raw food / vegan issue, or is it also
> prevalent in mainstream society where it doesn't
> get much mention?

See the other b12 thread above this one or below for my thoughts on that.

It is a problem overall but mainly a vegan issue. Meat diets contain dietary b12 sources where as raw/vegan don't. This doesnt mean meat eaters cant get b12 anemia but when they do it is almost always due to absorption issues rather than a lack of it via the diet in the case of vegans.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: coronagranny ()
Date: June 20, 2011 05:45PM

I just posted information on B Vitiams. To put it in a nut shell, get a B complex, stop the alcohol, sugar, carbs and coffee. They distroy B vitiams. B vitiams are water soluble and are not stored, therefore must be continually replaced. B vitiams should never be taken alone. My question to you is what symptoms do you have?. Each B vitiam has its own sysptoms, from skin, muscle pains, depression, nervous system, and the list goes on. Brewers yeast is the richest and natural source of B vitamins, liver, whole-grain cereals are also a natural constituent. Another important source of the B vitamin is production by the intestinal bacteria. These bacteria grow best on milk, sugar, and small amounts of fat in the diet. Maintaining a milk-free diet or taking sulfonamides and other antibiotics may destroy these valuable bacteria.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: June 20, 2011 06:07PM

coronagranny, thanks for all the info!

Just to be clear on the topic of B12, Brewers yeast, though rich in many B vitamins, does not contain B12.

Here's an article on Brewers yeast from University of Maryland Medical Center:

[www.umm.edu]

According to the article, "...brewer's yeast does not contain vitamin B12, an essential vitamin found in meat and dairy products; vegetarians sometimes take brewer's yeast mistakenly believing that it provides B12, which can be lacking in their diet."

Nutritional yeast (different from Brewer's yeast) can be purchased from Red Star, with or without B12. If it has B12, the B12 has been added. Nutritional yeast purchased from health food store bins often does not have B12, because the B12-enriched nutritional yeast is more expensive. Advise to check with the retailer.

Nutritional yeast is not a raw food.

Posted by: Raynne413 ()
Date: June 20, 2011 11:59PM

While it may be prevalent in a vegan diet, it's not limited to a vegan diet. I've just started eating mostly raw, but I've had B12 issues for years due to my body's inability to absorb B12 and iron in a normal manner. I take sublingual B12, as well as iron supplements, and unfortunately, I'm STILL exhausted most of the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables