Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dandelion Juice
Posted by: TerrryR ()
Date: June 18, 2011 04:18AM

I started drinking Fresh squeezed dandelion juice every day about two weeks ago.
Although initially feeling better I am now feeling exhausted. Is it releasing too many toxins into my bloodstream ?? Any comments would help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dandelion Juice
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 18, 2011 05:15AM

Are you drinking anything else? Dandelion juice is a diuretic. It's possible your symptoms may result from dehydration if you are not getting enough other liquid in your system.

Posted by: TerrryR ()
Date: June 18, 2011 05:43AM

Yes, drinking plenty of water and at times mixing dandelion with carrot juice. Also had shot of wheatgrass every day during that time.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 18, 2011 10:31AM

Any reason why your just intaking those juices? I take it your possibly trying to cleanse your liver?

If so you'd be better off with bitter herbs on the back of the tongue pre meal/food. Bitter herbs are the best tool for cleansing the liver.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: June 18, 2011 12:10PM

Dandelion juice is very rich I drink it almost every day when I am not fasting but never by itself, I mixed it with celery juice or cucumber juice.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 18, 2011 02:54PM

Terry,

Unless you are allergic to the leaf(I assume this is the part you are using), your response seems like authentic detox to me. Maybe reduce your volume of the juice, cut it with something low in sugar--dandelion modulates glucose, so I wouldn't drink it with carrots or beets--and make sure you are taking in enough clean water and enough healthy calories, besides. Good luck!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 18, 2011 03:25PM

Hi Tam, long time no readsmiling smiley

What do you mean by the dandelion 'modulating glucose?' I made a concoction the other day of watermelon, celery, lime and dandelion and it didn't taste too sweet and actually, I cannot IMAGINE drinking dandelion straight.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: June 18, 2011 03:58PM

Dandelion is so great. I love just wandering around the edges of the forest and finding them wild and then bringing in a big bundle for salad. Straight from nature... food doesn't get any better.

They are sort of bitter though. I also don't think I could drink the straight juice or eat a salad composed entirely of their greens.

If you've never juice fasted or eaten very healthy before it makes sense that this could be a detox for you.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 18, 2011 04:14PM

Its the bitter tasting element that hits the bitter receptors on the back of the tongue which gives bitters there digestive and liver cleansing benefitssmiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 18, 2011 09:48PM

Hiya, banana who! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: speedyf1 ()
Date: November 11, 2013 03:34PM

I collect dandelion all year round and eat at least one plant a through the spring and summer. Now in the fall I juice three plants a day - root and all. I make dandelion and stinging nettle juice and drink it straight. No problem with the taste - I did work up to the drink as it does kick some. I also mix with kale, spinach, comfrey, rosemary, sage, and other greens. When I want a sweeter flavor I mix some dandelion with apple. To indicate my fitness level - I am fifty seven and just finished tryouts with a pro ice hockey team - made it to last cuts.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 13, 2013 07:41AM

Dandelion is a food.

Date: November 15, 2013 12:17AM

TerrryR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, drinking plenty of water and at times mixing
> dandelion with carrot juice. Also had shot of
> wheatgrass every day during that time.

Wow! They would be the last juices l would be drinking everyday, potential disaster right there yet to happen. You would be getting massive amounts of oxalic acid from those drinks, and yes, this might be contributed to your tiredness, but also other problems can occur, and almost certainly all the calcium in those drinks will be completely bound to form calcium oxalate in the acid environment of the stomach which could lead to kidney stones. The science says only 5% of that calcium will be absorbed in the intestine at most, and who knows what other indigestion issues you would probably be facing like the protein, carbs, other minerals and fatty acids from the drinks.

Just some simple talk on oxalic acid:
[treato.com]

If you are going to have those juices regularly the only safe way to consume them is to add fermented rye sprout water to break down the oxalic acid and potential tannins and alkaloids in those drinks.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: November 15, 2013 08:59AM

It may not always be oxalic acid. These green juices are digestive cleansers and the removal of hardened fecal matters will produce gas that may make you tired. This is a healing process.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables