Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mulberriessmiling smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 23, 2011 11:33PM

I discovered a huge mulberry tree that is on forest preserve property...Which means there is no reason whatsoever that I cannot go with a container and pick, pick, pick...They rot on the ground over here...No one cares about them. They probably think they are poisonous! When I was a kid there was a mulberry tree that hung over our backyard and my mom would pick some mulberries on occasion.

What about you? Do they grow in your neck of the woods and do you ever eat them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mulberriessmiling smiley
Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: June 24, 2011 03:46AM

they're everywhere on my mom's farm. So many that I can't eat them fast enough. I'm excited.

david

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 24, 2011 12:56PM

They are growing in the backyard here. Last year I ate so many of them. Although after the season was over my partners family cut the tree down. Its still alive, and new branches are coming out of the stump.

There is another one close to the street, which probably is the one which they should have cut down. They were angry with the berries being brought in to the house, because there are so many on the ground and sidewalk. I am sure they are producing a lot right now.

Its cute what I saw recently. I saw a Robin hopping away in the grass with a mulberry in its mouth! I never new they ate fruit or berries! I guess many creatures partake of the bounty! I have yet to see a squirrel with one however.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 24, 2011 02:01PM

I got one growing down at my stream and I want it out!
Its strangling my lilacs.

Vinny

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 24, 2011 03:27PM

A row of them grow along my back property line. They strangled out the camellia hedge about 15 years ago! The berries are fantastic--I would never buy mulberries from a shop again. However, I must fight with voracious woodchucks and squirrels to get any berries from the branches, and woodchucks and squirrels have sharp teethies . . .

Date: June 24, 2011 06:36PM

Tam, they never sell mulberries in my area. What I have found is that they seem watery but not super sweet. Maybe that's actually how it's supposed to be, given that they are "wild?" Who knows...

Posted by: rab ()
Date: June 24, 2011 06:48PM

I have them in the backyard and in the neighborhood - just a lot of mosquitoes as there is a creek also, and we had a lot of rain. I have to cover my head, they are very aggressive. I love it anyway.

Date: June 24, 2011 08:27PM

Banana who,
I experienced something simliar with my mulberries. Great berry flavor, nice deep color, but not over the top sweet. I actually like them better that way. A lot of people are used to the 'corn syrup' sugar content of hybrid or gmo fruit. But sometimes they don't have much flavor otherwise, or color, or sometimes even texture.

I really like wild blueberries which have a more intense blueberry flavor, but are actually a little less sweet. Also cloudberries which are sweet, sticky and crunchy, and very 'hit the spot' that domesticated berries don't seem to have. Crowberries were my favorite, and turns out actually beats billberries for vitamins and orac antioxident content in some studies. That hasn't made its way to commercial markets, but maybe some day.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 25, 2011 02:11PM

banana who,

I dunno--mine are "European" mulberries that were seeded by birds that had eaten cultivated seeds God knows where and then pooed them out while roosting in my hedge[hence, their growing in a line directly where my hedge used to be]. They are almost black and are quite sweet but with a floral after taste that is delicate. The woodchucks and skunks whose burrows tunnel around the roots of these trees may be fertilizing them with something special smiling smiley

Date: June 25, 2011 06:05PM

Mislu: "cloudberries..." sounds so poetic! I have never heard of those before.
Tam: watch out for the white mulberries covered in bird @#$%&!winking smiley

Date: June 25, 2011 09:54PM

Banana who,
Here is some information about cloudberries
[www.deplicque.net]

I was surprised, its supposed to have 3 to 4 times the amount of vitamin c than oranges.
[www.antioxidants-guide.com]

Date: June 25, 2011 10:23PM

Mislu--mind me asking where you live? Finland?! I thought America...If you don't want to say, I understand but I am just curious where you get your interesting berries from...

Posted by: Hathi4 ()
Date: June 28, 2011 12:41AM

I'm jealous! I have to pay $7 for one punnet of mulberries at my farmer's market; $10 for the Persian ones! :-O

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables