Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Soaking vs Sprouting Grains
Posted by: Raynne413 ()
Date: June 26, 2011 10:00PM

I think I am needing to add more carbs to my current diet. Previously I had an eating disorder, and when I wasn't getting enough carbs/fat, I would start craving junky carbs and candy. I've been getting that lately, and realized that other than carbs from fruit, I'm essentially getting no carbs in my diet. I was looking into sprouting, but right now, I work 10 hours a day and don't have the required amount of time to put into it. Are there any grains that you can just soak before using, and maybe toss onto a salad??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soaking vs Sprouting Grains
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 27, 2011 02:02PM

Grains must be germinated or sprouted in order to be fully digestible by humans. Saying that, some people do find raw wheat germ[which is crushed] goes down OK on salads and such. If you can source that, maybe try it. As far as sprouting goes, it doesn't require effort; merely planning ahead. So if you work long days, you might get a device that doesn't require a lot of fussing so that you aren't constantly rinsing your seeds, and just be sure to start the seeds three or four days ahead of when you'll need them. Good luck!

Date: June 27, 2011 05:21PM

What about quinoa? I read that it's pretty easy to sprout. You just soak overnight, rinse, and wait about 8-12 hours and it's ready???

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 27, 2011 07:09PM

Raynne i think you might have misunderstood the directions .. you rinse them 2-3 times at 8-12 hour intervals and then they should be sprouting 8-12 hours after your final rinse

sproutpeople has great info on all the sproutable seeds,grains etc smiling smiley [www.sproutpeople.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 28, 2011 06:53PM

Thank you for your help! Is quinao the quickest sprouting??

Date: June 28, 2011 09:23PM

lentils, pumpkin seeds, sunflower..probably faster than quinao

but here is a couple of charts you can compare and see [www.justgoodenergy.com] or [www.veggiewave.com]

of course your results may vary due to seed, temperature, tenacity .. etc smiling smiley

Date: June 29, 2011 12:14AM

That's a great chart! Thanks again.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: June 29, 2011 12:56AM

I disagree, I have never looked at a chart but if I soak Quinoa overnight it appears to be fully sprouted? Ten just rinse well! You can tell when they are sprouted, and you can see all the hair like stuff in the water that and looking at the grain closely you can see that it is sprouted. Sprouting wheat is super easy and doesnt take much time once you get it down. Soaking nuts is even easier and you don't have to sprout at all. You will get alot of carbs and fat this way but don't forget, You need to stimulate digestine. Many people don't get this part of nutrition. Most of us have weak digestine and do not follow any tradition of stimulating it. Raw herbs, look it up, choose your favourite one.

Date: June 29, 2011 01:06AM

Ok, I just looked at the charts and I don't like them at all but thanks for the links Raynne. I soak Macadamia and pistachio's all the time and that is the only way you can get the enzyme inhibitors out! If you don't like them soaked then dehydrate them after soaking. I guess what they mean is you can't sprout them but you don't need too. Only grains and beans need to be sprouted. You can sprout almonds if you can get them raw and really nice, good luck on that one! Now that those bastards at the FDA have them all pasteurized its difficult.

Date: June 30, 2011 12:10AM

its ok for you not to like the links rzman. I posted the links to give Rayne a reference or jumping off point if you will. smiling smiley no chart is 100% accurate because ... im assuming you have heard the expression... "results may vary from situation to situation"

If you have quinoa sprouting tails overnight I would really like the source of your seed and your method (ie: times rinsed, temperature of sprouting location, temperature of rinse water, light source etc.) as i have never gotten tails untill about day 3 smiling smiley

Date: June 30, 2011 06:11PM

I did have some teeny tiny tails after soaking overnight. I'm using Red Quinao, if that might make a difference. The brand is Eden Organic, I think. I soaked overnight, then rinsed. Waited 12 hours, rinsed again, waited another 12 hours, rinsed again. Let them dry and they were ready. I'm in Memphis, TN, and our temperature stays around 73-75 degrees inside (too cold for me!!!). Only light source was the occasional indoor lighting.

Date: June 30, 2011 08:51PM

Please remember that quinoa has a loose germ attached to its exterior, which can look like a "tail" after soaking when it gets loosened, but isn't actually a germination tail.

Date: July 01, 2011 10:26PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> its ok for you not to like the links rzman. I
> posted the links to give Rayne a reference or
> jumping off point if you will. smiling smiley no chart is
> 100% accurate because ... im assuming you have
> heard the expression... "results may vary from
> situation to situation"
>
> If you have quinoa sprouting tails overnight I
> would really like the source of your seed and your
> method (ie: times rinsed, temperature of sprouting

> location, temperature of rinse water, light source
> etc.) as i have never gotten tails untill about
> day 3 smiling smiley

Yes brother, no harm intended. Perhaps I am wrong, I did not think they needed to be sprouted that much. At HHI it seemed to me they were just soaking over night and that's how I have always done it. I believed that they were really sprouted enough for eating. They appeared to be really starting to spring to life an did not want them to over sprout being so small? I am not eating grains right now but I will have to try it again soon!

Date: July 01, 2011 10:29PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Please remember that quinoa has a loose germ
> attached to its exterior, which can look like a
> "tail" after soaking when it gets loosened, but
> isn't actually a germination tail.

Also thanks Tamukha, refer to prevous post, and here I though I knew everything.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 01, 2011 10:50PM

Hi rzman. I thought that was a very very sweet post to Jgunn, who is, by the way a sister (not a brother). You sound like a nice person.

And yes, I agree that Tamukha is one smart (raw food) cookie.

smiling smiley

Date: July 03, 2011 09:02PM

its all good Rzman smiling smiley like i said results may vary .. i swear when i was living closer to sea level my sprouts sprouted faster .. now higher in the mountain range things are a bit slower.. *shrugs* who knows smiling smiley

Date: July 03, 2011 09:24PM

Yes Jgunn, I was soaking nuts 12 hrs. in florida, but when winter came they took fourteen to sixteen hrs. to fully get enzyme inhibitors out.

Date: July 03, 2011 09:34PM

suncloud Wrote:
> Hi rzman. I thought that was a very very sweet
> post to Jgunn, who is, by the way a sister (not a
> brother). You sound like a nice person.
>
> And yes, I agree that Tamukha is one smart (raw
> food) cookie.
>
> smiling smiley

Opps, I meant to reply with a thank you, Thank You.

Date: July 05, 2011 11:09PM

I did sprout some quinoa and saw the tails come out. I soaked for 12 hours just for convienence, then sprouted for another 12hrs and then totally sprouted.

Date: July 06, 2011 09:16PM

Success!

Posted by: veganicity ()
Date: July 08, 2011 03:02PM

Rzmann - can i ask you what you mean by stimulating digestine? Is that like eating fennel seeds or corriander before anything else?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables