Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bloating on Raw Juicing-Help (Menopause, IBS?)
Posted by: SierraMadre ()
Date: June 27, 2011 07:46PM

Hello Everyone. I hope someone can help.

I have been vegetarian for the majority of my life having started out macrobiotically many years ago. But I have not always been a healthy eater. I ended up gaining a lot of weight which I lost using a protein shake diet. I was very successful on this. In the last two years, my weight has creeped back up (not all of it but some) and I attempted three times to change to raw juicing/raw foods. Every time I have done this, I have suffered severe bloating so that I look about five months pregnant. This pushed me back to a basic veggie diet. Last fall, I visited rural France and for the first time in four years (since started that protein shake diet which I have been off for three years) I ate cheese and breads/pastries (things I normally do not eat) quite a few times as it seems to be what you are offered when you visit. I got back and my digestion was awful. I seemed to have fallen off the rails and my tummy was bloated. It has stayed that way. I tried everything including the Lemon Cleanse twice, which seems to be the only thing that works to stop the bloat, but as soon as I start eating (I don't eat wheat by the way normally) vegan normally I blow up again.

I thought I would do a cleanse. So about two weeks ago, I did the Blessed Herbs cleanse...I started by juicing, eating raw before going into the fast phase.As I took the toxic absorber (with organic apple juice) on each day, I hoped it would help. By the end of the cleanse, I was still bloated, only less so.

I am not sure if this is a post-menopausal reaction (as I have never had this happen). Why can't I just juice and feel great? I don't use any citrus or bananas or any high sugar fruit. I have apples, carrots, celery, cucumbers, beets, broccoli...as basics..and stay low on apples.

I am wondering if it is an IBS, celiac problem....? I have no idea if this might be my problem. If someone has digestive problems, how do you deal with this? I love juices and I seem to not be able to use them. Greens by themselves don't taste good to me, which is why I use an apple or two or a carrot when I do greens.I have used probiotics, too, by the way and digestive enzymes...but if you juice you don't really need these do you?

Any information would be so helpful to me...as I am frustrated and don't know what to do.

Thank you so much for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bloating on Raw Juicing-Help (Menopause, IBS?)
Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: June 27, 2011 08:18PM

Most likely a Yeast infection, stop using fruit,including lemons, beets, carrots etc. Boost your digestion with herbs before eating three times a day. Also try using noni juice 2oz. three times a day to boost the immune system. Or you could use RM-10 to boost the immune system instead of the Noni. If you don't like bitter juices then use just lettuce, celery and cucumber all of wich are not bitter and help with weight issues. You don't have to juice at all though if you don't want to. Juicing is awesome but it is expensive and time consuming. You can get healthy other ways, so if you cann't juice often don't let it get you down.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 27, 2011 08:56PM

Low stomach acid is what primarily causes bloating due to increased fermentation. Some with the above have carbohydrate intolerance as a result.

Work on increasing your stomach acid with raw apple cider vinegar mid meal and bitters on the back back of the tongue pre meal.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 28, 2011 02:58PM

Don't you guys also feel that this could be the result of "stirring things up?" Two weeks is really nothing in the grand scheme of things. Maybe there's a bunch of impacted waste and you are starting to break in there and things get worse before they get better. Also, the macro diet doesn't have much raw stuff, does it? I know as a regular vedge that I didn't necessarily eat too much raw. I was still influenced by the SAD. I would give it more time (possibly 90 days for your body to really cleanse and re-set itself). But do what resonates with you, of course...smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 28, 2011 06:37PM

based on your admissions of multiple cleanses i would ponder to think that maybe you are throwing off the flora balance in your gut. just my 2 cents smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 29, 2011 01:49AM

I wish more people could experience a raw food retreat like HHI. You need to boost your immune system and do weekly bowel cleanses. In your condition you should also do daily wheatgrass juice implants. this will help rid you of yeast and other pathogens and strengthen your liver among other things. From your discription you surely have a yeast infection and probably bacteria and parasites. I don't like harsh pathogen cleansers, they can be harmful. Drinking lots of wheatgrass juice and herbs with your food will eventually rid you of these things. But please stop eating so much sugar for a while, lemons have more sugar than oranges and are horrible for yeast infections. Apples, beets no no no! Find other stuff you like and spice them properly. Get fresh oregano plants and just pick some of the leaves and put in your salads, nutloafs and such. Raw garlic juice or ginger in your juices is awesome and is cheap as hell. They use garlic at HHI to help cure cancer, it is an incredible immune booster, raw organic only! Be easy with this stuff though at first, you most likely have leaky gut also and that will let some of the harsh herbs through your linning a bit and cause you some toxicity. Bowel cleanses are the most powerful way to rid your self of this stuff quickly.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: June 29, 2011 12:29PM

Low stomach acid and the shift in PH to an alkaline is what causes yeast such as candida to morph into its hyphal fungal form.

Anyway ginger is a strong ant-acid and will lower stomach acid further so id give that a miss if the above is a problem.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: mokshaohm ()
Date: June 29, 2011 03:40PM

Good stuff. I was suffering from the same thing. I also found that keeping things simple helped a great deal. Instead of juicing with 8 different items I knocked it down to two or three. I also eat more mono meals until my body begins to really detox and push that stuff out. Sometimes you have to take your time. I was rushing too fast and my body was like, "now wait one darn minute!". Good luck and keep us posted.

yawning smiley)

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: June 29, 2011 04:47PM

To SierraMadre,

I have read the prior posts, but don't want to assume a yeast infection since it could be something else. Conjecture is great. Helps set up the next move, e.g. getting testing from a qualified medical professional. For bloating, a natural diuretic can help relieve symptoms. Dandilion leaf is a natural diuretic and might make an interesting experiment to see if you get some short term relief. If not, what are your other symptoms? Getting a good quality probiotic won't hurt anything, but without a good diagnosis, it may not help.

Paul

Date: July 01, 2011 11:29PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Low stomach acid and the shift in PH to an
> alkaline is what causes yeast such as candida to
> morph into its hyphal fungal form.
>
> Anyway ginger is a strong ant-acid and will lower
> stomach acid further so id give that a miss if the
> above is a problem.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Thats an intresting thought, I feel a bit different about this. Acid exists in the stomach not in the small intestine. The pancreas secrets bicarbonate at the duodenum to neutralize acid. So pathogens being put into the stomach will be killed before they reach the small intestine wich is where the yeast is living. Ginger stimulates digestine in general and the pancreatic enzymes will help destroy yeast. Poor food combining is a big issue in this situation because the stomach enzymes including acid cannot digest food completely and leave stuff that yeast and other pathogens can flourish on. Tell me what you think powerlifter?

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 02, 2011 01:28AM

Dear SierraMadre,

May I suggest a few tips to overcome the bloating issue. They may sound simple but I find that these simple tips do work!
* Try mono-eating. This will help immensely, as eating one type of food at a time is a lot easier on your digestive system. When combining foods, we may accidentally eat hard-to-digest foods or combine foods that take much different times to digest, which leads to bloating.
* Limit the number of ingredients in the combined meals. Try up to 4 for example. Again, it is much easier on the tummy.
* Follow your taste. Eat only what tastes right and gentle on your tongue. Unripe foods won't, for example. When combining foods, taste each ingredient so as not to mask the taste of foods that your body does not want with those that it does.
* Chew your foods well and wait till your meal is digested before going for another. Follow your hunger.

I feel that menopausal or post-menopausal symptoms is something very strongly associated with the cooked food diet. This is what I am hearing from various raw food females, and confirmed in my own experimentation (I am supposed to be suffering from menopausal symptoms but I am not).

Regards,
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: July 02, 2011 05:20PM

rawgosia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear SierraMadre,
>
> May I suggest a few tips to overcome the bloating
> issue. They may sound simple but I find that these
> simple tips do work!
> * Try mono-eating. This will help immensely, as
> eating one type of food at a time is a lot easier
> on your digestive system. When combining foods, we
> may accidentally eat hard-to-digest foods or
> combine foods that take much different times to

Good info!
> digest, which leads to bloating.
> * Limit the number of ingredients in the combined
> meals. Try up to 4 for example. Again, it is much
> easier on the tummy.
> * Follow your taste. Eat only what tastes right
> and gentle on your tongue. Unripe foods won't, for
> example. When combining foods, taste each
> ingredient so as not to mask the taste of foods
> that your body does not want with those that it
> does.
> * Chew your foods well and wait till your meal is
> digested before going for another. Follow your
> hunger.
>
> I feel that menopausal or post-menopausal symptoms
> is something very strongly associated with the
> cooked food diet. This is what I am hearing from
> various raw food females, and confirmed in my own
> experimentation (I am supposed to be suffering
> from menopausal symptoms but I am not).
>
> Regards,
> Gosia

Date: July 02, 2011 05:24PM

Great info rawgosia! My quote did not go so well so I added this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables