Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Doug Graham - 'there is no advantage in soaking nuts'
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 11, 2011 09:33AM

[www.vegsource.com]

what are your thoughts on this? I found soaking them to be particularly better on digestion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Doug Graham - 'there is no advantage in soaking nuts'
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2011 01:02PM

That's like saying there is no advantage to sprouting seeds. We know nutrition increases and that's not "nothing".
To each their own. Unsoaked nuts aren't going to hurt you (unless you digest them better soaked that is) so have them as is if you like.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 11, 2011 04:47PM

I enjoyed 80-10-10 when I read it. It was an excellent read. I'm glad I bought the book. Also Doug's personal accomplishments are steller. The shape he's in for 57 proves that for highly active people that a high fruit based diet is sustainable.

That said, I'm not going to take my nutrition advice from him. Doug claims that he's experienced people cured from B-12 deficiency through water fasting and vegans have no relative risk compared with omnivores for B-12 deficiency. [www.naturalnews.com] Jack Norris, a vegan RD, put a pretty straight response. [jacknorrisrd.com].

So do I care what Doug Graham says about nuts? Nut really! winking smiley

Paul

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: July 11, 2011 06:19PM

Soaking them helps me digest them better, that's the only fact I care about really.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: July 11, 2011 09:15PM

I won't bother reading anything that this guy says again, no offense to you of coarse. There was no substance too that article for a reason. Not only does it help too digest but enzyme inibitors are toxic but normally are not passed to the bloodstream. Still they are in the digestive tract and are not good for sick people. They do taste good unsoaked though, but nuts are expensive and I would like to get all those nutrients from them. Undigested food in the gut, especially fat is not good for you.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 11, 2011 09:41PM

From the article: Graham: “B12 is everywhere. It’s in the air. It’s in the mucus membranes of your nose. Every time you inhale, you’re breathing in B12; every time you swallow your own saliva, you’re swallowing B12.”

Surely that's very incorrect, ive never read anything that would even possibly suggest the above?

EDIT: im not big on my chemistry but i looked it up yeah there is no b12 in air.

Nitrogen -- N2 -- 78.084%

Oxygen -- O2 -- 20.9476%

Argon -- Ar -- 0.934%

Carbon Dioxide -- CO2 -- 0.0314%

Neon -- Ne -- 0.001818%

Methane -- CH4 -- 0.0002%

Helium -- He -- 0.000524%

Krypton -- Kr -- 0.000114%

Hydrogen -- H2 -- 0.00005%

Xenon -- Xe -- 0.0000087%

Ozone -- O3 -- 0.000007%

Nitrogen Dioxide -- NO2 -- 0.000002%

Iodine -- I2 -- 0.000001%

Carbon Monoxide -- CO -- trace

Ammonia -- NH3 -- trace

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 09:42PM by powerlifer.

Date: July 11, 2011 11:40PM

Krypton? Cool!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 12, 2011 01:06AM

I disagree with this assertion: at the very least, soaked nuts are softer and thus easier to chew!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 12, 2011 06:59AM

There's some really funny stuff on this thread!

Posted by: angelpie ()
Date: July 12, 2011 12:35PM

I was at a talk at my local health food store that Doug Graham gave and asked him specifically about B12. "As a raw vegan, what should I do to ensure that I am getting enough B12 so that I do not become deficient?" He first replied that this was an excellent question. His next response was this: "Children often pick their nose and eat it. There is B12 in our nasal cavities." Then he went on to say that he suffers from no B12 deficiencies and then explained the signs of a deficiency. One thing that he said that really struck me was that one of the signs of a B12 deficiency was irritability or agitation. He seemed to be pretty irritated during the entire talk!

On the subject of soaking nuts, I am sure that not soaking them isn't going to cause any harm, even in recipes that call for soaked nuts. I have used them that way and everything came out fine. Soaking does remove the bitterness and makes them easier to digest. In my opinion, it's great to soak them if you have time, but if not, don't sweat it.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: July 12, 2011 01:55PM

powerlifer- I'd like to see that article about b12 by Graham, if you have a link. Thankyou
Nevermind, found it from Pauls post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 02:03PM by WorkoutMan.

Date: July 12, 2011 02:37PM

WorkoutMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> powerlifer- I'd like to see that article about b12
> by Graham, if you have a link. Thankyou
> Nevermind, found it from Pauls post.

It was in Pauls post man, i see you've found it though.

As a 100% vegan i know we've been all through this a 100 times but for any new readers i would say its crucial to take a b12 supplement if you are 100% vegan, there is no dietary source and you can faff around with analogies such as saying meat eaters can sometimes suffer from b12 deficiency due to absorption problems but this doesn't detract from fact is so can vegans, the problem is vegans have a further problem in that there is no viable b12 dietary source unlike meat eaters.

I also agree with the article i cant see any logical way that a water fast would help a 100% vegan recover from b12 deficiency and don't believe it either. If and if the water fast helped a vegan who was having absorption problems they would still face the issue of having no dietary b12 to absorb.

By the time b12 deficiency symptoms show up, you can have already caused irreversible nervous system damage to yourself or siblings so yeah take care. Blindly following the advise of anyone especially over the internet can lead to trouble so always do as much research as you can when your health could be at risk.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 02:43PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: July 15, 2011 11:09PM

Nuts and seeds are so rubbery after soaked. I think they must be easier to digest after soaked.

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 15, 2011 11:17PM

I don't soak nuts before eating them. I have good digestion, and unsoaked nuts digest well for me.

Date: July 15, 2011 11:23PM

I can digest them fine without having soaked them too. If I am using them in a recipe I soak though, and soaked almonds are tastier IMO.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 15, 2011 11:24PM

Pame'laVik'toria Wrote:
> Nuts and seeds are so rubbery after soaked. I
> think they must be easier to digest after soaked.

OMG- is that after-picture untouched? Your before-pic has a furrow between the eyes and it's gone afterwards. I have one, too (I'm 45). It is not necessarily a product of age because it was noticed long ago and it would be so cool to not have it anymore!

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: July 16, 2011 02:41PM

The b12 issue notwithstanding, I don't really understand this thread. In the link Doug basically says there is really only one advantage to soaking nuts, and that is to help folks who don't digest them well. He doesn't say there is no advantage.

Date: July 16, 2011 03:33PM

Its probably the way it was worded workoutman, although greater digestibility is a massive advantage itself especially in that many find nuts hard to digest.

Also anti-nutrients are thought to be lowered via soaking which is another great advantage.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: July 16, 2011 05:01PM

Ew! The picking nose comment he said was nasty as hell. As if that's something to be encouraged? That literally made me gag. Snot always disgusted me even as a teeny little kid I'd cry and run and tell my mom when other kids did that, lol.

And B12 in the air? w...t...f! It seems like he just says whatever comes to mind.

I don't care for him much honestly... I mean, in the most respectful way, don't dislike him and am glad he's on his path and helping people but he and his message don't personally resonate with me... he's just not my guru.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: July 16, 2011 08:20PM

angelpie Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------

> thing that he said that really struck me was that
> one of the signs of a B12 deficiency was
> irritability or agitation. He seemed to be pretty
> irritated during the entire talk!
>

Yes this made me laugh!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 16, 2011 10:51PM

B12 in the air! thats funny. Maybe I should become a health guru, seems like one doesn't have to follow up on facts or do any actual research. Just have a following, and sell books and give lectures for a fee. And hopefully say just enough of the right things to appeal to enough people to keep the presses running.

There was one thing said earlier by powerlifter I found interesting. I didn't know that there was actually more argon in air than carbon dioxide. Very interesting.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: July 17, 2011 11:48AM

powerlifer Wrote:
> From the article: Graham: “B12 is everywhere.
> It’s in the air. It’s in the mucus membranes
> of your nose. Every time you inhale, you’re
> breathing in B12; every time you swallow your own
> saliva, you’re swallowing B12.”

Ok, only a crazy person would say such a thing. Most certainly, no real doctor would ever say that!

Wikipedia has a nice article on B12. Basically its the most complex organic nutritional molecule with cobalt at the center.
Methylcobalamin is good for the brain and dibencozide is good for muscle. Cyanocobalamin is basically garbage unless you are dieing of B12 deficiency.
B12 can only be made by bacteria and any other food that has B12 in it absorbs it from the bacteria.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2011 11:49AM by VeganLife.

Date: July 17, 2011 09:21PM

Has anyone ever bought those blah flat-shaped sunflower seeds? They're not nearly as good as the chubby ones.

Darn! I bought a case of the flat ones! I couldn't eat them until I remembered to soak them overnight. Now they're OK!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2011 09:22PM by suncloud.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: July 17, 2011 09:55PM

Never had the flat-shaped sunflower seeds, though I've wondered about them... probably won't bother trying them after your non-recommendation.

I don't usually bother soaking nuts, either, as my digestion is fine, but I don't doubt that it's good for some people, and when I do sometimes soak almonds in particular, other folks seem to like them.

On a cashew kick currently- even though they're not 100% raw, good enuff 4 me.

Date: July 18, 2011 06:44AM

Hi Omega. Nice to see you here!

Date: July 20, 2011 04:02AM

I agree with Coco, some soaked nuts are tastier, some I prefer unsoaked. So, maybe there is more nutrition in soaking nuts, or maybe not. Let your taste preference prevail.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: July 21, 2011 12:46PM

I agree with Doug Graham, and others here. The nuts will eventually be soaked from within. Plus, it's so much easier not to soak them. And if you do soak them, how long do you soak them? Something has to be lost in the soak-water.
Nuts are best not eaten....soaked or not......WY

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: July 21, 2011 01:25PM

Nature poisons Seed in order to propagate the species. No animal in the wild eats Seed. Birds may appear to, but are, in fact, just swallowing them.

Date: July 21, 2011 02:12PM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
> I agree with Doug Graham, and others here. The
> nuts will eventually be soaked from within. Plus,
> it's so much easier not to soak them. And if you
> do soak them, how long do you soak them? Something
> has to be lost in the soak-water.
> Nuts are best not eaten....soaked or not......WY

I dont agree with that each to there own though. Nuts and seeds are a great vegan source of fatty acids aswell as many vitamins and minerals.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 21, 2011 04:36PM

They birds on our deck spend ages cracking and eating the nuts and seeds we put out for them. The squirrels too. I am not a bird, or a squirrel smiling smiley but I think nuts and seeds are good for me in moderation and improved by soaking too. Then again, I'm big on sprouting.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables