Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Doug Graham - 'there is no advantage in soaking nuts'
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 21, 2011 05:17PM

What do you usually sprout out of interest coco and any good recipes for including them?

I usually buy various bagged sprouts as im lazy, must try sprouting myself at some point.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 21, 2011 05:30PM

My favourite are fenugreek seeds but they have a strong rather bitter flavour that doesn't have mass appeal, you'd have to try them to see if you liked them. Second fave are lentils, they are so wonderful sprouted! I usually just toss them into salad but the lentil sprouts can be mixed with chopped tomato and cucumber, bell peppers, red or spring onion with a dressing of choice.
Sprouts are all great in wraps too, nori, romaine or other leaf or in a tortilla (cooked or raw, whatever you want).
I'm not that fancy with my food prep.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 21, 2011 06:53PM

I would never eat soaked nuts on their own. I blend soaked nuts when making nut mylk but otherwise I always dehydrate after I soak. Soak and dehydrate, for trail mix, salad topping, etc. I might put them in just soaked for a raw soup, esp cashews (which aren't really raw).

Date: July 26, 2011 08:56PM

On the apparent ambiguity posed by Graham's B-12 comments, I believe the issue he is trying to get at is that B-12 is a bacteria which exists in nature and in animals. As such, carnivores are able to get it through the consumption of animal and animal succretions and vegans are not generally getting enough. I have heard some claim that having an animal live with you generally gives a person at least the minimum amount of B-12, which is obviously "ingested" through the air. I don't know the merits of such a claim, but I suspect Graham is gettting to that thought process with his comments.

I really can not determine who is right on the topic. As such, I guess if one is worried about it, they should supplement.

I hope this helps.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 26, 2011 09:42PM

Ive never read anything relatively solid that would suggest we could get b12 from having pets around us. Mostly just raw sites ive heard it from.

I agree better safe than sorry to cycle a b12 supplement now and again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 09:46PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 27, 2011 04:17AM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would never eat soaked nuts on their own. I
> blend soaked nuts when making nut mylk but
> otherwise I always dehydrate after I soak. Soak
> and dehydrate, for trail mix, salad topping, etc.
> I might put them in just soaked for a raw soup,
> esp cashews (which aren't really raw).

Hi Paul,

If you happen to see this, I was just wondering why you don't eat soaked nuts on their own, and why you dehydrate after you soak. I've learned a lot from you in the past, and this is new to me.

Thanks!

Date: July 27, 2011 11:54AM

I would think it's textural, some people don't like how soft soaked nuts and seeds are and prefer the crunch. You can marinate them then dehydrate and they come out like roasted nuts, very tasty. Too much salt for me but if you're missing that sort of flavour and crunch, this is a great substitute.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 29, 2011 07:20PM

I think I prefer the crunch of dried nuts and soaking and dehydrating tastes better to me than unsoaked. It digests better and tastes better, imho. I do use just soaked nuts in mylks and sauces or raw soups.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 29, 2011 07:36PM

Thanks Paul!

Date: July 29, 2011 09:23PM

Hmmm, I soak almonds if I add them to my veg salad, but like the 'crunch' when eating them on their own. It does seem logical that something is activated, as soaking nuts gets them ready for sprouting. So, perhaps there's some truth in it.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables