Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help! New to raw foodism
Posted by: Amiot ()
Date: July 11, 2011 07:31PM

I could really use some advice from some seasoned raw foodist out there. I just started my second week eating raw and I'm a little confused. I've been reading a lot of info on the web on various websites and there seems to be a lot of conflicting messages on how to eat raw. I was hoping to simplify my life and get away from all the rules of traditional "diets". I've read to eat mostly fruits, I've read to stay away from a lot of frut unless i'm excersing and eat mostly veggies, i've read about food combinding, i've read you don't have to worry about food combinding. My head is spinning. Anyone have a more simple way of eating raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! New to raw foodism
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 11, 2011 07:36PM

Experience will be your best teacher. Im nearly 2 years raw and still refining. My advice is to read as much as you can and watch everything available on youtube. If im reading a raw book, i'll usually be youtubing the author to see if theyre walking their walk.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: July 13, 2011 12:20AM

Amiot, I found that food combining rules help digestion. Melon should be eaten alone. Sweet fruit should be eaten by itself. Unsweet fruit, like tomatoes can be eaten with other food. You typically don't want proteins and starches together.

I found my body functions best on a smaller portion of fruit than veggies but some love their fruit more. My bones start to feel like they are cringing if I eat too much fruit. I was borderline hypoglycemic on Standard American Diet, especially when I gained too much weight.

What you might want to do is plug in your daily intake on Fitday.com or some other website to get an idea of the nutrients that you need to supplement where you are lacking. It's easy to think that Raw is a cure-all but it's not. It is a great way to maintain your health and there are some great people here. You have to judge for yourself by what your body's reactions are whether or not something is right for you. Realize that your body will detox and what you may be feeling may be detox which will go away fairly quickly and if it doesn't, make adjustments where necessary. Good luck! Therese

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: July 15, 2011 10:56PM

Don't go raw unless you are willing to experiment! I am constantly learning. What works for one person doesn't for another. But I believe you should limit fruits and increase veggies. And eat stuff like kimchi, and wakimi. And I wouldn't go raw without daily green veggie juice.

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: July 23, 2011 09:24PM

Eat what tastes delicious to *you.* Fresh fruit usually tastes delicious to most people, so that's a safe bet, especially if you're in a warmer climate. Eat whatever nuts you like, eat salads only if they hit the spot. Don't follow someone else's program; choose your own adventure.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 23, 2011 11:49PM

Hi Amiot,

You may find useful a few basic, introductory rules I wrote here:
[www.rawgosia.com]

Regards,
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Amiot ()
Date: July 24, 2011 05:38AM

thank you for all your input. omega-3 and rawgosia i found your comments especially helpful. i have another issue that i could use some advice on because i feel i must be doing something wrong. i've been raw 4 weeks and i haven't lost any weight. i've completly changed the way i eat but i don't feel any smaller. before going raw i would have a pastry or bagel for breakfast, some kind of mayonaise layden protein salad for lunch and for dinner, pizza or tacos etc.., now i make a green smoothie for breakfast( spinach, cucumber and pineapple blended with almond milk. for lunch i'll have raw tacos or pizza with tons of veggies and for dinner i have a large veggie juice a couple of bananas and a raw bar or 2. that's it. how is it that i'm not losing any weight?

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 24, 2011 06:34AM

Maybe try more exercise and more sleep. Don't eat late in the day.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 24, 2011 08:17AM

Yes, sleep and rest is important. Also, eating when you hungry, chewing well, and not starving yourself. Now, almond milk, pizza or raw bar may be high-fat contributors. I suggest that perhaps you snack of fruit or veggies more often then on bars. Moderate exercise will boost the weight loss too. Above all, do what feels good for your body, do not over-analyze and pressure yourself too much. Slow and steady wins the race.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: July 24, 2011 12:33PM

rawgosia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You may find useful a few basic, introductory
> rules I wrote here:
Those are good tips for everyone. Some of us need reminding.
If I had one tip for the Newbie it would be to 'analyze everything you put into your Body'. This is good for the Old-timer too......WY

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: July 24, 2011 03:13PM

Everyone is different. I tend to do best on some fruit in the morning, then more veggies and fats throughout the day. My favorite staples are avocado, banana, kale, romaine (I CRAVE romaine), kimchi (I consider this essential now), fermented vegan nut/seed cheese, a variety of yummy raw dressings, and of course SPROUTS! smiling smiley

Posted by: merry ()
Date: July 26, 2011 03:53AM

do you make the kimchi and if so how? Thank you !

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: July 26, 2011 11:13PM

Debbie Took's site is full of information and suggestions. It's a great site to explore for people new to raw food.

Check it out:
[www.rawforlife.co.uk]

Hi, everyone. I've been busy and missed y'all. Glad to be back.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 03, 2011 09:18PM

when i started out i basically lived on raw nuts, bananas, and apple cider. (ok and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches 50/50 to start) i just did that then added salads and recipes slowly and experimented with the dehydrator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables