Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

few questions about 80/10/10
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 12, 2011 05:41PM

1) Lets say I plunge my hand into a big bowl of nuts and come up with 1 handful, would that be obtaining my 10% daily fat intake?

might sound silly but im terrible with measurements and have no measuring tools. So im quite unsure of when i should cap the amount of nuts ive eaten in a day.

2) how many medium sized avocado's would I need to eat to obtain 10% daily fat?

3) is it accurate to say 80/10/10 is to eat 80% fruits, 10% greens and 10% fats?

thanks, dont mean to be spamming the boards but ive been going through 300 pages of posts here the last few days, down to page 53! grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: few questions about 80/10/10
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 12, 2011 05:48PM

It would vary depending on your total calories for the day really, so if you want to be accurate an online calorie calculator would help you such as fitday.com

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 12, 2011 06:09PM

sorry I forgot, around 2000 kcal per day.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 12, 2011 06:59PM

200 calories would come from fat then daily, you should be able to find on your nut or avocado packets how much calories are per gram etc.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: July 13, 2011 02:43PM

You should really buy the book. That would answer your questions. Theres actually alot of misconceptions about 80/10/10 on the internet. I agree that using an online calculator would be ideal. I like to use nutritiondata.com

To answer question 2) Probably half an avacado or an once of nuts will be a good amount (you would probably exceed the 10%). Half an avacado has 17g of fat or 153 calories. The remainder of the fat calories will come from fruits and veg. On any given day you can easily eat 10g of fat just from fruits and vegatbles.

Question 3 represents on of the biggest misconceptions about 80/10/10. 80/10/10 is a macronutrient ratio, not a ratio of types of foods! Contrarty to popular belief, this diet is not low in greens and vegetables. If someone were to really follow the guidelines in the book, they may actually be eating upto equal number of servings of greens as fruit depending on how many greens/veg they decided to eat. Depending on how much calories you need this could equate to 15-30 servings of green and veg per day

Posted by: Februarygirl ()
Date: July 20, 2011 12:37PM

It is my understanding that the 10% fat requirement is more like "up to or no more than" that amount.

februarygirl

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: July 20, 2011 02:01PM

You are right Februarygirl

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 21, 2011 06:56PM

I agree with Workout Man, get the book and read carefully. Doug is a gifted writer and has a unique perspective. While I don't agree with some of what he says, his views and counseling have obviously helped many on the Board. And if confronted with a choice of eating SAD or 811, I would have no hesitation in choosing the latter.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables