Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how to sustain raw in an emergency?
Posted by: veganicity ()
Date: July 23, 2011 07:11PM

Suddenly had an thought....and thought you might id bring it to you guys....In the event that i couldnt get hold of raw produce for a few days (eg snowed in or housebound in any other way), how do i ensure i can sustain my raw diet? I suppose travelling away from home might pose similar problems too?

Anyone have any solutions? Just want to be prepared, you know?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to sustain raw in an emergency?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 23, 2011 08:23PM

Make sure to take a supply of dates and nuts perhaps?

If you were snowed in.. maybe you could forego the strictness of your diet and eat what it took to survive? If I was snowed in.. Id probably prefer something hot to a salad.

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: July 24, 2011 03:33PM

It's hard. This happened to me a lot last winter when we got snowed in all the time (it would sort of be fun if food wasn't a stress!). Honestly? I couldn't sustain it. Not in a healthy way. I still had my sprouting seeds going so there was living food to be had, and I still had some nuts and what not, but I wasn't going to eat only that stuff and you simply can't stock up on lettuce and other fruits and veggies for more than a couple days. I am only high raw anyway, and we keep plenty of organic rice and beans in sealed up cans and containers for emergencies, since we live up in the mountains and our road becomes impassable in the winter.

Date: July 26, 2011 10:29AM

Yea, i suppose that's when tins of pineapple and grapefruit can be a halfway point. Something that came to me though is the good old butternut squash! That can keep for months ....and of course its raw, so perhaps thats the answer! Squash spaghetti and green powder soup?!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 26, 2011 12:54PM

Dried foods and a supply of root vegetables that can be eaten raw or juiced. That and sprouts should keep you fed for a few days at least! Sprouting for a bit longer can yield baby greens too, sunflower, buckwheat, green peas, etc.

Date: July 27, 2011 11:14AM

Oh really? And its ok to sprout for longer then? And can you recommend a good quality raw vegetable powder that i can use as an energy substitute?

And i know this is kind of unrelated and im real sorry, but would you know how i can find out the nutritional analysis of the dry alfaffa seed including calories...that is before sprouted?!

Thanks again for your support x

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 27, 2011 11:53AM

Not sure about the seeds but contact a supplier that sells to raw folk, mumm's out of saskatchewan canada is a good place to start, check their website.
a great nutritional powder is moringa, if you live in the right climate for it you can purchase a tap root and grow it yourself, dry and powder the leaves or eat them fresh from what I understand. The nutritional profile is amazing.
Some seeds you can sprout into baby greens, the ones I listed for sure and possibly others. Beet seeds make a very interesting sprout, gorgeous colour of course smiling smiley. There are tons of great books on sprouting but everything is online too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables