Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fatigued by Kale???
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: July 25, 2011 12:29AM

Hi there... When I eat Kale I get very fatigued... like muscle fatigue and sleepy tired too... Does anyone have an understanding of why this is????

thanks

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fatigued by Kale???
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 25, 2011 02:30AM

Allergy? Or maybe the goitergens are getting to your thyroid; this happened to me a few years ago, and after a few weeks off brassicas, I felt better. Tried an abundance of kale again about a year ago, and after a few weeks, same fatigue as you describe. Added a daily serving of water soluble iodine, and the problem was resolved. Hope you figure out what the difficulty is--good luck smiling smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 25, 2011 06:53PM

This happens to me with all greens, not just brassicas. Like Tamukha, I added more iodine to my diet, which seemed to help a little with the fatigue.

Still, I have some fatigue and other symptoms that always disappear when I leave out the greens.

Not sure if this is the same thing that luvyuu has, but the feeling of being sleepy and the muscle fatigue is the first symptom I noticed many years ago.

Possibly, in my case, it's due to a previous iodine deficiency that left some permanent damage? I have no idea if that's true, but Luvyuu, I hope you take note of Tamukha's experience.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 25, 2011 09:17PM

I think all greens mellow us out because of the magnesium and we don't get it in too many other foods. Just my 2 cents...

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: July 28, 2011 02:52PM

I've been taking a drop of lugols iodine a few times a week and it's making me feel so much better. I used to not be able to take it because it would send me into such detox I would be too sick to function. After some extended juice fasting, I can take it now without any detox! Iodine seems to be incredibly important to have in our systems.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 28, 2011 04:40PM

Yup iodine is very important and unfortunately can be a problem mineral for vegan diets, being that alot of produce is grown in poor soil.

I use seaweeds though, prefer to use food sources when possible plus you get a range of other minerals, nutrients and compounds in seaweed which have shown some amazing health benefits.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 31, 2011 03:24AM

See it's weird, because I tried dulse and still had a nasty reaction (really bad breakouts on skin). I haven't really tried other sea vegetables. Now I'm wondering if I'm reacting to something else about the dulse and not the iodine.

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: July 31, 2011 04:11PM

Well what a wealth of information... thank you ... I was taking iodine last year about this time but i wasn't real sure i noticed so much of a difference... but i had also taken brassica's completely out of my diet... but maybe i should try taking it again whil i am eating brassica's cause gosh darnit i can't cut everything out of my diet... i'll look in to it.... i live in an area where it's hard to get good seaweed lest it be really expensive... i'm also working with an acupuncturist now... so i will talk to him about iodine as well...

love laugh and dream

Date: July 31, 2011 04:31PM

You dont have to cut the brassicas out and you probably wouldn't want too as they are very healthy, in normal amounts with adequate dietary iodine intake they pose no problems. Mostly because cooking largely inactivates goitrogenic compounds. The main problem is many raw fooders take in large amounts of goitrogenic vegetables and may have low iodine intakes, this is what causes problems.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 31, 2011 06:25PM

I imagine low iodine intake causes SAD eaters many problems as well.

Date: July 31, 2011 06:41PM

Corathegreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I imagine low iodine intake causes SAD eaters many
> problems as well.

Yeah its pretty common all round especially since they took iodine out of bread years back. Although SAD eaters still have good iodine sources such as dairy, eggs, cheese etc. As well as any produce which contains iodine from the soil.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: July 31, 2011 11:01PM

Totally different story on my side, I drink a lot of green juices, wheatgrass, no fatigue at all, it is the reverse, too much energy.
Most eat their greens with blending, blended greens in green smoothies may not be digestible and that may be the source of the fatigue, blended kale is still kale, indigestible kale.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables