Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Greens Powders
Posted by: Raynne413 ()
Date: July 28, 2011 06:02PM

Are there any raw green powders that people would recommend? I was thinking about adding them into smoothies, if that is even possible. . . ??? Instead of making a full green smoothie. I was thinking about taking a magic bullet to work to make a smoothie, but I know they aren't capable of really blending up full greens, like spinach, very well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Greens Powders
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 28, 2011 06:53PM

I like raw ormus supergreens by sunwarrior, mainly because it is the most palatable green food product on the market. Tastes like mild mint and contains various greens.

Most supplements are best taken away from food as some of the nutrients in food can block the absorption and compete with other nutrients.

Remember to still to eat your greens though.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 28, 2011 07:38PM

Thank you! I do eat two salads a day, so I'm getting a benefit from those (and not nasty iceberg lettuce LOL).

Posted by: texasnewf ()
Date: July 29, 2011 03:18AM

I was wondering if you really get all the nutrients from a powder ? as opposed to fresh juicing .. somehow it seems convenient but unnatural. I'm new to juicing so I'm not up on all those powders they make.

Date: July 29, 2011 09:55AM

Powders are generally just dried whatever they are, dried herb, dried grasses, dried seaweed etc. So yeah they contain near the same amount of nutrients as long as they are dried properly.

Juicing can actually strip some of the nutrients away which are bound close to the fiber.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: July 29, 2011 01:14PM

Powerlifter, do you have an opinion on Amazing Grass? That's another version I saw that was reasonably priced.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: July 29, 2011 02:31PM

Brian Clement, Director of Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach Florida, says Green Powders are less than 1% effective.
They do add bulk to the diet......WY

Date: July 29, 2011 03:35PM

WheatgrassYogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brian Clement, Director of Hippocrates Health
> Institute in West Palm Beach Florida, says Green
> Powders are less than 1% effective.
> They do add bulk to the diet......WY

What a load of crap in my opinion, does he have any data to prove this as ive never read anything to suggest. In terms of digestibility there really is little difference and like i say the nutrient loss is pretty minimal when drying if done properly. I wouldn't mind seeing where he said that and his reasons for so, as well its bogus like i say. Many herbs are also green powders such as nettle leaf, alfalfa, watercress, oatgrass etc, that would mean these herbs wouldn't even work if they were only 1% effective lol.

Raynne413 could you link to the product so im sure im looking at the right one? Really personally i just prefer to buy in bulk and organic powders. I take at the moment a mixture of chlorella, spirulina, wheatgrass, barleygrass, nettle leaf, watercress, alfalfa, a 3 seaweed powder blend and some amla berry.

Obviously i still eat lots of fresh greens and occasionally juicesmiling smiley.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

http://

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: July 29, 2011 11:32PM

I advocate eating raw organic vegies and a good source of protien/fat with it. Just throw in your favorite vegies and soaked nuts or what ever, it's all good and so easy. I do know of a good one and Brian Clement likes this company because he knows the guy who owns the company and how carefully they process it. It's called Pure Synergy, I don't know if they are still in bussiness but you can check.

Posted by: merry ()
Date: July 30, 2011 03:52AM

I think its silly to say raw green powders are only 1% effective. I take moringa powder and have felt the benefits -also spirulina. A nutritional analysis of moringa powder shows that it is loaded with vitamins and minerals - 3 tbs a day provides RDA of most vitamins and minerals for although I'm not saying we should take that much.
I would think the most economical way to make a good green powder would be to check on ebay for sellers of bulk powders of things like moringa, wheatgrass, spirulina, kelp, amla etc. and make your own mix. The ones in bottles in health food shops are normally really costly and I have never been able to buy them for that reason.

Date: August 01, 2011 05:15PM

Powerlifter, this is the product I was looking at:

[www.amazinggrass.com]

Date: August 01, 2011 07:34PM

Raynne413 Wrote:
> Powerlifter, this is the product I was looking
> at:
>
> [www.amazinggrass.com]
> d.html

Ahh yeah i thought it was that one you were meaning, was just checking as a few small brands also use a similar name.

Its a decent product although the downside is that it contains both cacao and cocoa which contain the stimulants caffeine and theobromine. Not really want you would want to take daily as chronic stimulant use weakens the adrenal glands. Nothing wrong with the above as a now and again thing though.

The other downside is the inclusion of the enzyme cellulase which breaks down fibers into sugars. The good fibers it does contain end up been broken down into sugar so you really don't get the good effects that these fibers provide and you end up with more sugar. Very text book formulating error that ALOT of companies make, the main reason is because many labs offer the enzymes together. Alot hear/read enzymes and think that means more benefits but its not always a good thing.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: August 02, 2011 04:02PM

Very interesting!!! So here's another question for you. . . What do you think about the Vega Smoothie Infusion or Smoothie to Go? I was looking at their Whole Meal product, but I'd really rather not consume sugar substitutes, even if Stevia is a natural product. I'd like to find something that combines both protein and greens/fruits. I have problems with craving sugars and I read that sometimes it could be caused by not enough protein.

Date: August 02, 2011 04:41PM

Yeah both good products im a big fan of the vega range being a vegan bodybuilder myself. The above although if i remember both contain a range of green powders are in my opinion more used for boosting the protein content of a shake.

Sunwarrior raw ormus supergreens is a good dedicated, good tasting green powder.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: August 02, 2011 06:08PM

Thank you again! And ONE more question. LOL What would you recommend for a mix that has a good amount of protein, as well as greens/superfoods? Or is it better to just mix two to get what I need?

Date: August 02, 2011 07:49PM

Would depend if your just wanting a good source of amino acids/protein or if you were wanting a concentrated source.

If it is the former then chlorella and spirulina are great sources of amino acids amongst other nutrients. You will find these in many green blend formulas.

If its a concentrated source of protein and needs to be both raw/vegan then id recommend sunwarrior raw protein.

EDIT: Just re-read your question, it would all depend if your needing alot of additional protein i.e lacking via diet or an athlete/weight lifter. If so it would be best to mix the two. If its just to boost an already good diet then the first option.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: August 02, 2011 07:53PM

Thank you again! I don't consider myself an athlete, but I do workout at least 6 days a week with cardio, and weights 5 days a week. I like to think I have a good diet, but protein would be what I'm lacking since I tend to eat mostly fruits and veggies. What throws me off from the Sunwarrior protein is that it contains stevia. I think I'll try using the Smoothie Booster with a smoothie in the morning of banana, water, and almond butter and see how that does me.

Date: August 02, 2011 08:25PM

Any reason you dont like the stevia?

The main reason i like the sunwarrior raw protein is that it has a very good amino acid profile as well as being smooth. Most vegan protein powders are blends of hemp, pea etc. Which arent the best tasting although Vega do a good job of covering it up as best as possible.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 03, 2011 02:14PM

Holy cow, powerlifer--that Ormus Greens powder from Sunfood is, like, $55 for a two week supply! It had better give one the gift of flight at that price, ha-ha!

Date: August 03, 2011 03:17PM

Its a lb tamukha and the dosage is 1 or 2 teaspoon. Lasts about a month or longer if i remember.

LOL, but yeah its pretty expensive, the main plus is that its very palatable. Its from Sunwarrior incase your looking at a different one.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: August 03, 2011 03:51PM

I don't like using any kind of sugar substitutes (I find that any time I use them, I end up craving real sugars with a vengeance), and stevia always has an odd taste/after taste to me.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: August 03, 2011 10:11PM

Raynne413 Wrote:
> I don't like using any kind of sugar substitutes
> (I find that any time I use them, I end up craving
> real sugars with a vengeance), and stevia always
> has an odd taste/after taste to me.

Raynne413 It's good to see that you are this concious about what you put in your body, I don't like stevia either and don't think it should be used. You should look into Garden Of Life Products they are very good! Also sprouted flax and rice protien are very good. If you want to be sure you are breaking down your protien don't mix nuts with your fruit smoothies (poor food combining). Soak your nuts and eat them with some your favorite vegies. If you really want to break down food (and most important to you) "protien" spice your food properly it will increase digestine alot.

Date: August 04, 2011 04:17PM

Thank you! I have tried Garden of Life's Whole Food Bars. Very good.

Date: August 05, 2011 12:41PM

Stevias not that bad it actually has quite a few benefits also.

But yeah another good green powder product is enerfoods green superfood powder. It contains loads of different green powders, ashwagandha(one of my favorite adaptogenic herbs) and no caffeine/stimulants.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables