Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are our Health Food Gurus Always on the Level?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 29, 2011 10:17PM

Hi, I came across this very funny video, and wondered whether there's any truth to it, and if there are any more like it? It's called 'Daniel Vitalis and David Wolfe Cartoon Adventures, and is a good laugh. Also, I don't know how to add a direct link on this post. Can anyone tell me how? I'd appreciate it.
Cheers, geo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRPU8221S-s

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are our Health Food Gurus Always on the Level?
Date: July 31, 2011 06:59AM

Well, no-one seems interested, so ges I'll answer my own post. Also, looks like there're no other funny vids like this one. And since I put up this post I've checked out this David Wolfe on a couple of other vids, and I get the impression that he's into making money. I reckon Doug Graeham is one who is on the level, as he seems to be walking the talk.
I don't know why I can't seem to put up a link on here. I've done it before by just drag'n'drop, but not now.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 31, 2011 09:32AM

That video is neither funny or clever. It was made by Durianrider who used to post here.. Durianrider makes such a big deal of healthy compassionate, loving vegan living.. but has no problem investing his time and energy into sour and nasty, mean spirited pieces of trash like this.

there are ways of critisicing people you dont agree with. Although I think Durianrider has the right idea about how to eat raw.. Wolfe is still doing a great job at getting people turned onto it. His book sunfood diet I must have read 3 times, and plan on doing again soon.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: July 31, 2011 10:07AM

We're interested in hearing what people have to say, not being redirected to other sites. If you have a question, ask it. If you have something to say, just say it.
We're not interested in being redirected to youtube or anywhere else.

I don't come here to waste my time going to other sites. I want to hear what people have to say - even if i disagree with them. I disagree with your statement about who is on the level and who isn't. I'd say you haven't been around the health food / raw food scene that long, otherwise you wouldn't have made your assumptions.

Date: July 31, 2011 12:41PM

Hmm that's interesting, as I see plenty of people with links to other sites on here. I believe everyone has a right to their opinion, whether people agree or not. Anyway, I thought the vid was hilarious (in my opinion), though I can see how some may not think so, and thanks for pointing that out. I rather like Harley, he's got the guts to say what he thinks and what he believes. Outspoken people always have to take criticism as part of the territory.

Date: July 31, 2011 01:33PM

Harley is entitled to be outspoken and says what he believes, but does he have to belitlle people he doesn't agree with. He's a zealot, like Islamic Muslims, Far Right Christians or any other extreme religious group that believe they are the only true chosen people and everyone else is going to hell.

From what i have read he injects himself with B12 regularly. I stand to be corrected if that is incorrect. How can someone preach a natural raw food diet and inject themselves with anything? How natural is it to inject yourself?

Also, he is only preaching something that works for himself, and that's the only foundation on which he basis his argument.

Date: July 31, 2011 02:16PM

BJ you only speak for yourself here. I have been happily directed to many other sites and resources here, there is thankfully no spoken or unspoken rule against this. If you don't want to check out another site, don't. Simple. To each their own.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: July 31, 2011 04:32PM

IMO Harley is doing a great disservice to the cause of the high-fruit diet, which I largely agree with, by making videos attacking other raw food activists and coming off as a hyperactive prick.

Also, while I personally personally stick to a very high-fruit diet along the lines of 80/10/10 in the summer months, in the cold winter climate where I live I have not found it realistic, and I think that most of the "80/10/10" crowd doesn't appreciate the reality of climactic differences (as they almost all lives in hot climates).

Anyway, I would love for more folks to spending energy attacking Monsanto rather than other well-meaning raw-food spokespeople.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 31, 2011 07:13PM

BJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Harley is entitled to be outspoken and says what
> he believes, but does he have to belitlle people
> he doesn't agree with. He's a zealot, like Islamic
> Muslims, Far Right Christians or any other extreme
> religious group that believe they are the only
> true chosen people and everyone else is going to
> hell.
>
> From what i have read he injects himself with B12
> regularly. I stand to be corrected if that is
> incorrect. How can someone preach a natural raw
> food diet and inject themselves with anything? How
> natural is it to inject yourself?
>
> Also, he is only preaching something that works
> for himself, and that's the only foundation on
> which he basis his argument.

Dude, you need to check yourself. So all "Islamic Muslims" (as opposed to Jewish ones?) are zealot extremists? Hell, even fundie Christians are not ALL one way.

Date: August 01, 2011 01:28AM

Bj, you also assume I'm a newbie. Well, I began my journey in the early 70's, and built up to, and succeeded in a 40 day fast in 73 or 74. I may have become jaded over the years, as I've seen health guru's come and go. One of my close friends, and who I looked up to was increadibly fit and wise.But I found out from a reliable source (his partner of almost 40yrs), that occasionally he would drive to another area or town late at night, buy a barbaque chook and scoff the lot in one sitting. Of course, that was an isolated case, but its made me very sceptical of anyone making wild claims, and pointing to themselves as proof.

Actually, I believe what Omega-3 said is on the money, and the attitude we all should have, thanks for that.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 01, 2011 03:50AM

Geo, maybe try this: copy the url, then paste it into the post.

(right click on the url, left click copy. Then right click wherever you want it in the post, left click paste).

Prana has a thread at the top of this discussion forum that tells how to be creative in your post.

I've never yet found a raw food "guru" whose program fits my eating style, but maybe a guru can help someone else.

And I think that's great - as long as the guru doesn't hurt someone else. Sometimes I worry when I see people trying the same program over and over again and then blaming themselves because they're not successful doing what the guru says is best. I'd like to see these gurus be a little less focused on their distinct program, and a little more flexible and focused on possible healthy variations that might be helpful for different individuals - for whatever reasons.

I think it's just fine if a guru says how he/she eats, and then another person decides to try to eat the same way.

Also, I would like for some of these gurus to have a better background in the science of nutrition, and have the intellectual curiosity to stay up-to-date on current research. Different interpretations of research results of course is always welcome. But all knowledge is good knowledge. Nobody yet has all the answers.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 01, 2011 10:39AM

BJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
He's a zealot, like Islamic
> Muslims, Far Right Christians or any other extreme
> religious group that believe they are the only
> true chosen people and everyone else is going to
> hell.

Bj I kinda get uncomfortable when people throw around terminolgy like Islamic Muslims in the context of zealotism ...

you are kinda pigeon-holing a whole lot of people.. there are plenty of kind hearted open minded islamic muslims (and christians) out there that are no different than you and me

they have extremists of course .. as does any religion

i understand the point you were making , just the choice of comparrison is a bit unfair

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 01, 2011 11:27AM

I am happy to take it back. I didn't mean to impugn Muslims or religious people in general, just extremists who believe theirs is the only right way.

At one point in the past i believed that if people were raw foodists they would be more open-minded, compassionate and understanding, but it would appear that some raw-foodists are just as close minded as cooked food eaters and carnivores. I can understand it if they are 100% right 100% of the time, but when they base their opinion on their own body as opposed to what works for others then i get @#*&^ sometimes.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 01, 2011 08:35PM

thank you for that BJ smiling smiley and i do agree with you .. i guess there is negativity in all walks and I understand it gets @#*& frustrating at times smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 01, 2011 11:17PM

Thx Suncloud,
I should have looked with my eyes instead of my mouth haha. Having trouble re-sizing my photo though, might just have to crop it.
I agree that some background in dietetics by those profess great knowledge would be useful.
Cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables