Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Might have been asked before... but where do you get your B12?
Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 07, 2011 12:59PM

Oh, that is so sad. Yeah, I noticed that (Vegan) after I posted. Still, I guess my experience is just with like people who have like one or two cows, or like really small farms. I never really thought about what happens to the calf. It's funny how we can sometimes take things for granted.(Like living in Vermont, now I'm stuck in New Jersey.)Still, as vegetable eaters we practically live on manure because that's what feeds the plants (usually), I suppose that's just another of my reasonings for reverence for cows, and I guess drinking milk,etc. is just more of a like a sacred act for me and a personal relationship with the cow. That makes it even sadder that they are sometimes treated so inhumanely.
I've attempted to go vegan before. It didn't last long. Beans give me gas! It makes me not want to eat them. Anyone have any tricks to make that stop?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 07, 2011 01:05PM

Oh yeah, I think mushrooms are a good source of b12.
yup
[veganstips.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 07, 2011 02:25PM

rawalice,

The body must adjust to eating larger amounts of insoluble fiber, such as what's found in beans, if it is unaccustomed to it. When I first became a vegetarian, I was alarmed, as someone whose diet wasn't devoid of beans to begin with, how bloated I felt from eating the new larger amounts. After a few months of consistent bean consumption, with lots more greens salads and more whole grains, I found my body didn't respond adversely to beans anymore, nor to any "roughage." As with most things, it takes time smiling smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 08, 2011 06:50AM

I think Tamukha is correct.

And many raw folks don't eat much beans really, except sometimes sprouted.

Rawalice, checking out your link on B12 in mushrooms, I think its says 100 grams of mushrooms has 5% of the RDI (recommended daily intake). There's about 453.6 grams in a pound, so to get 100% of the RDI, you'd have to eat about 4.4 pounds of mushrooms/day. (100%/5% = 20; 20 X 100g mushrooms = 2000 g mushrooms; 2000g/453.6g per pound = 4.4 pounds)

Given that the "common cultivated mushrooms, including button, crimini, and portobello, contain hydrazines, which have been shown to be both carcinogenic and mutagenic in animals and in laboratory test (Becoming Raw, Davis and Melina)", I don't think it's a good idea to eat over 4 pounds of mushrooms every day.

Boiling the mushrooms will remove most of the hydrazine, but then you'd be destroying the B12.

Posted by: janeisgreen ()
Date: August 08, 2011 03:37PM

And some people wonder why we're vegan....

Posted by: notvegan ()
Date: August 12, 2011 09:47AM

Are you of indian decent? Well actually i guess not because you drink milk! The oneness with cows just sounded like something from the hindu religion and why stuck in new jersey? Seems like a real down grade to move from some place like vermont to new jersey!!!!

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: August 12, 2011 10:19PM

New Jersey is a big state, like Michigan where I'm from. It would make a a world of difference if I were in Detroit or Flint vs. Traverse City or East Lansing. Vermont is.... well Vermont. I just don't think the state is large enough to compare to New Jersey. Both beautiful states. Different topography.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: August 12, 2011 11:54PM

miso

Date: August 13, 2011 03:16AM

From Jack Norris, RD: "Two studies have measured the vitamin B12 content of miso and have found none." [jacknorrisrd.com]

But does anyone know of a study that found active B12 in miso? I'm kind of assuming that some people may have mistakenly concluded that miso has B12 because it's fermented, but maybe I'm wrong.

Miso is vegan and could be considered a "living" food since it is fermented, but it is not a raw food, and I don't think it's a source of B12.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2011 03:23AM by suncloud.

Date: August 16, 2011 03:35PM

thanks Tamukha.

is suppose suncloud i'm not a thorough reader. i do tend to speed read and oftentimes just get half of the information.

i also read some nutritional yeasts are fortified, but that light exposure kills the b12, so it's not reliable. i'm not sure if nutritional yeast is raw or not, but i do like to use it as an ingredient

i guess pill form supplements are pretty cheap, i have taken them before

aahhh, living in new jerlousy, where the bacteria count at the beach is low today and the ghettos are right next to the million dollar house neighborhoods.
( i live closer to the ghetto ) i guess it's the fresh mountain air and spring water out of the tap i miss the most

Date: August 17, 2011 04:13AM

Hi rawalice,

That's interesting about light exposure degrading the B12 in nutritional yeast. Thanks for bringing that up. I'd never heard of it, but I think you are right. Here's an abstract from pubmed:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

According to the link: "The content of B12 was affected by storage time, light exposure, temperature and vitamin C".

It's a concern for me personally because my husband is vegan but not raw. He relies on nutritional yeast for his B12. I think in the 25 years that he's been vegan, I've gotten him to take a B12 supplement maybe 5 times. He eats quite a bit of nutritional yeast, and lately he's been keeping it in a glass jar out on the counter top. I think it will go back into the refrigerator!

Nutritional yeast is not raw. Red Star has a brand of yeast that's fortified with B12 and a brand that isn't fortified. If anyone buys it from a health food store bin, and if the label on the bin doesn't say it's fortified with B12, then I would assume it isn't. Or you can ask someone at the store to check the order for the bin. Health food stores will usually do a "special order" for you. You can order the fortified nutritional yeast in a "small" bucket. I think it's a 5 pound bucket.

Given the concern that rawalice brought up about the possibility of it degrading, if anyone orders a bucket, they might want to split it with friends, or at least keep it in the refrigerator. My understanding is that a supplement is the most reliable choice.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 04:16AM by suncloud.

Posted by: notvegan ()
Date: August 17, 2011 06:33PM

Try Beano

Date: August 23, 2011 01:20PM

Hi notvegan. I actually thought of that for eating jalapenos. I can skip the beans, but, yeah, I'd probably be willing to try over the counter even for jalapenos? ooh, raw jalapeno poppers sound really good! maybe like a hush puppy with jalapeno bits. thanks for the idea!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables