Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does eating a raw diet help with skin issues and scars?
Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: September 27, 2006 10:20AM

i remember reading a story about someone becoming raw and when they started drinking wheatgrass smoothies from jamba juice they noticed their scar faded from when they were younger so i was curious if eating a fruitarian diet would have the same effect? i understand veggies have different enzymes and other important nutrients but can the same effect be seen with just a fruitarian diet?

have people noticed any positive differences in wrinkles or skin issues? i wonder if a person staying on raw foods could remain young forever lol?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does eating a raw diet help with skin issues and scars?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 27, 2006 10:49AM

Your skin will have better antioxidant defenses on raw and this will promote healing. But diet alone can provide protection factors of 2-4. Depending on your phototype,

I= freckly redhead, blue eyes usually
II= fair Caucasian
III = typical Caucasian
IV = Mediterranean, some East Asian, Hispanic
V = darker Asian, lighter African or mixed descent
VI = darker African

you can easily overwhelm youe skin's antioxidant defenses with deliberate sun exposure. This is especially a problem for phototypes I-III.

Look for example at Viktoras Kuvlinskas, Doug Graham, and Gabriel Cousens. Wrinkles, sags, pigmentation problems, and a variety of benign skin lesions.

Here is a pic of Doug Graham, I think he was in his early 50s in this pic.

[www.foodnsport.com]

He has very deep wrinkles around the eyes, severe elastosis, copious clumps of abnormal melanocytes and some lesions on his shoulders that will probably turn malignant in the next 5-15 years if he does not curb his exposure. Diet can only do so much for the skin. Other environmental influences can easily overwhelm the good intent of good diet.

Posted by: confuzed ()
Date: September 27, 2006 11:12AM

is he a raw foodist? if he is, wow im confused again

edit: im not trying to be offensive to Mr. Graham, but wow if he only eats raw food just seeing him might change my mind about becoming one. i dont want to offend him in anyway, im just being honest, but i thought raw foodists looked much more glowy and just more beautiful. to me he looks like a regular junk food/meat eater i dont know why. i will protect my skin then

plus hes been doing it for over 20 years that's amazing what a big accomplishment. that should be even more a reason why he could look even more beautiful, but he seems to be missing something

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2006 11:18AM by confuzed.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: September 27, 2006 03:32PM

I've def noticed skin improvements on raw. Certain foods cause a more noticeable difference than others. Flax seed oil, E3Live (or any kind of microalgae; I also like Crystal Manna), bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini seem to work wonders for my skin.... and of course running!

Before going raw (and one of my motivations for doing so) was that the collagen from my upper cheeks seemed to be less abundant than it used to be - I felt I should be aging more slowly. And you know what? The raw diet seems to have worked - I'm pretty happy with my skin now.

You know how when you see pictures of say, Christie Brinkley (vegetarian), and while she has a few wrinkles, her face retains that round, pretty quality? I think that's what a raw diet will do for you - help retain fullness in the mid-face.

I don't want to give anyone false hope but I'm hoping this is true, it's my observation so far, anyway.

Posted by: monochromatism ()
Date: September 27, 2006 11:15PM

It seems to me that once scars have already been created, especially ones from a long time ago, it's impossible to alter their appearence through diet. If a large wound is in the process of healing, I could see diet, keeping the wound of the sun (new skin cells are very delicate - keep wounds covered and they're less likely to scar) and topical application of things like vitamin E as possible preventative measures. Perhaps the person you mentioned got a tan or something, and her scars became less visible, if only temporarily. Prevention is a million times more effective than clean-up.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: September 29, 2006 04:16AM

I have a friend who has seen scars heal since he went raw. My understanding of the phenomenon is that healing a scar is pretty low on the body's priority list of what to focus healing energies on. If we get to the point in our healing where all other more serious needs are attended to (toxins removed, organs healed, etc.) then the body can get around to this kind of stuff!

Uma

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 30, 2006 03:08PM

doug graham looks exuberant
as well as the rest of his body
men look good with happy handsome character lines

its us women who are always putting cucumber strawberries and avocadoes on our faces ( ha ha!!)

if i see a guy putting cucumber and avocadoes and mangoes on his face
uhhh.... i dunno...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables