Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can doing a fast help with weak LES leading to GERD?
Posted by: RawInspiredAmy ()
Date: August 01, 2011 01:01PM

~~Posting this here from the Juicing Board~~

Hi All,

I have recently acquired a lump in my throat that my doctor said was a weak Lower Esophageal Sphincter. So basically food is coming back up my esophagus. I have tried to get this under wraps with diet but that doesn't seem to be working.

Would a fast of some sort help do you think? I've never fasted before, but am concerned with lack of energy with having 2 young children. Can anyone spare a moment to give me your thoughts?

I have been avoiding the script my doctor gave me to this point. I am starting to feel a little concerned with the damage I could be causing by not treating it.

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can doing a fast help with weak LES leading to GERD?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 01, 2011 01:13PM

Most likely it was a proton pump inhibitor you were prescribed?

GERD is actually caused by a lack of stomach acid rather than too much. Try some digestive bitters on the back of the tongue pre meal. You should find this helps.

Water fasts generally dont help as they dilute the stomach acid further.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: August 01, 2011 09:42PM

I'm glad to see you went to the doctor.

A juice fast will reduce the symptoms of GERD pending that you do not over fill the stomach with juice creating reflux.

Another idea that would benefit you is utilizing food combining strategies to minimize time food sits in your stomach.

Oh yeah, small meals more often would reduce the symptoms.

Hope this helps!

Date: August 01, 2011 09:54PM

Here is a great website discussing the role of nitric oxide on the contraction, relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter.

[www.hon.ch]

Date: August 01, 2011 11:13PM

Thank you all for the info.

I have been trying to manage this with diet for weeks with no real changes. I am going to take what I was given by the doctor for the 30 days and see what happens there. I realize this is counter productive but what else can I do at this point.

So down about the whole thing sad smiley

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 02, 2011 02:42AM

Hi, RawinspiredAmy,

I have been where you are and understand your fears and frustrations.

Look in the Raw Diary forum under my entries on the strand titled, "Adventures in the Raw Food World." On page 1, I describe my GERD symptoms and what I did to quit taking protase inhibitors. Although I got results, I do still get symptoms when I eat too much protein, fat, or spices. Maybe you'll find some ideas that can help you. I hope so.

For me, non-spicy, low fat and high raw is effective in preventing symptoms. When I veer - I regret it and pay for it with an acid-y pain and "lump in my throat" as well as a sleepless night.

Best wishes

My favorite raw vegan

Date: August 02, 2011 10:42AM

The reason protein/fat rich foods often cause GERD is that they are harder to digest and thus require more stomach acid.

I had bad GERD for years and at the start was put on proton-pump inhibitors which did nothing to help and later found out they were counter productive.

Anyway i faffed around with eating small meals, eating no protein with carbs at the same time, all fruit, low fat etc and most were only mildly helpful.

Increasing my stomach acid with raw apple cider vinegar or betaine HCL and bitter herbs was the best solution. After a while with the increase in stomach acid you start absorbing the nutrients which are acid dependent for absorption that are needed for stomach acid formation and you begin making your own.

Fermented foods and prebiotics can help as they repopulate the acid producing good bacteria.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: August 03, 2011 10:20PM

This is all good info. for a very serious problem! Just remember there has been nerve damage in most cases and you have to be very diligent to get better. Make sure to read up on alkalizing your body, it will help alot to heal and strenghten your pancreas and other digestive organs. Also use digestive enzymes, and I seriously suggest wheatgrass implants, I have seen this work wonders with people.

Date: August 04, 2011 12:47AM

Another suggestion that might be beneficial and maybe powerlifter can add to this..

Herbs that are know to sooth tissue would be marshmallow root, licorice root, and slippery elm (some ppl are against SE use).

Date: August 04, 2011 02:08AM

I went down to the local health food store and got a product called Lily of the Desert. It has Aloe, peppermint leaf, Chamomile Leaf, Slippery Elm and fennel seed. It is quite thick and tastes somewhat horrid BUT My throat has felt WONDERFUL most of the day.

The lady there said it cured her ulcer within a 3 months of taking it.

So with that I will continue with my fermented foods, alkalizing myself as best as I can, eat small meals more often and staying clear of any raw that is difficult to digest.

I am so hopeful with this product. I went down looking for many individual things to find it all in one smiling smiley Oh I also got a throat soothing tea with marchmellow root, licorice root and a few other helpful bits.

Today has been a better day smiling smiley

Thank you all for your input it is greatly appreciated!

Date: August 04, 2011 02:43PM

The slippery elm etc forms a protective and soothing mucilage so this can be helpful although you would still want to tackle the likely cause of lack of stomach acid.

The last thing you want to do is alkalize your GI tract further, this doesn't mean not to eat an diet rich in alkaline forming foods by the way(which is helpful). But does apply to this powerful and dodgy alkaline PH drops, water etc that contain bicarbonates and other strong alkalizers which neutralize stomach acid further.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables