Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Peppercorn?
Posted by: jargon ()
Date: August 02, 2011 02:31AM

I've noticed there seem to be different colors of peppercorn. Black, White, Red-ish/Pink/Orange ?

So I have a couple of questions. Is there any significant difference in flavor between them, or are the colored ones just "pretty"?

And, is all peppercorn raw friendly? Is it all dried the same way? What makes red-ish ones colored, and should I avoid that variety?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Peppercorn?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 02, 2011 12:57PM

They are typically just different stages of ripeness(it is the fruit of a shrub). Common black peppercorns are slightly immature dried fruits, whereas red peppercorns are fully ripe but not aged to blackness through sun drying. White peppercorns are ripe fruit that has been dehusked and aged; it is the husk that turns black in aging, thus these remain pale. Green peppercorns are unripe fruits that have been dried. As to flavor: white is generally considered "earthier;" red, "spicier;" black, "sharper;" and green, "musky." I have found the flavors to be inconsistent among colors of peppercorns, so if you are into seasoning with pepper, try getting small amounts of each color from a spice shop and seeing how you like each individually. Good luck!

Posted by: Raynne413 ()
Date: August 02, 2011 04:05PM

There is a definite taste difference but I have no idea how to explain it, but I think Tamukha did it well. I found a grinder once that had white, black, and red (or pink) peppercorns in it, and that has been my FAVORITE pepper mix. Too bad I'm almost out!!

Posted by: jargon ()
Date: August 02, 2011 08:32PM

After posting this initially, I read on another raw forum that most peppercorn is boiled briefly during processing, but some producers claim that they do not do this. Does anyone here know something about this?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 03, 2011 06:33AM

In the uk we can grow Zanthoxylum schinifolium - Swechuan pepper. This is an aromatic shrub from China and Japan growing 3m high. The leaves can be used as flavouring but the main use are the peppercorn like fruits which are used as a spice. However you don't eat the seed inside the husk but rather the husk itself which is red. You can just dry it out in a dry, warm place and then rub the husks off the seeds. I use a pestle and mortar to break the husks up a bit.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 04, 2011 05:14AM

very cool peppercorn info here smiling smiley thanks Tam !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 04, 2011 04:37PM

You are welcome, Jodi!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables