Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Irrational Fructose Fear
Posted by: RusticBohemian ()
Date: August 06, 2011 01:39AM

Ever since studies started showing us it's not smart to eat processed foods made with high fructose corn syrup about a decade ago, people have been trying hard to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

If you listen to some fruit fearing raw foodists and paleo eaters, the natural fructose in whole foods is fattening and dangerous. But is there any science to back this up?

Get the low down on natural fructose here: [www.raw-food-health.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Irrational Fructose Fear
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 06, 2011 02:58AM

Well, I think it's a very good article, and I came here to say so.

But then I read THeSt0rm's post, and it reminded me of how absolutely frustrating it can be when no one seems to understand what's going on with us personally.

I have a very hard time with green leaves. Who the heck can understand THAT? Frustrating! So the same thing could possibly be true for some people when they eat fruit. I don't have any problem at with all eating with lots and lots of fruit (Thank goodness!). But with so much out there still to learn, and given my own unique circumstances, I feel I have to be openminded that for some people, fruit really is a problem. It may not have anything to do with what they were told or what they believe or whatever. It may actually be that fruit makes them feel bad.

Still, I think it's a very good article for people to read if they are just going by someone else's misinformation, and I think that's totally real as well.

Now, what about "Irrational fat fears" in regards to nuts and seeds, which have an equally good record, when it comes to studies of their health benefits?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 06, 2011 09:47AM

Ive come from both ends of the pond, i had very bad dysbiosis i.e bacterial and fungal overgrowth(candida). Eating even one piece of fruit back then would send me to sleep nearly instantly as well as feeling horrible. Many that are chronically ill have the same problems and some raw foodists just cant seem to grasp that some of these people cant tolerate fruit.

Now like i say i come from both ends of the pond as i cured myself years ago with fermented foods, raising stomach acid and prebiotics. Now i can munch down all the fruit i wish for.

But im not sure where the myth has came from that fruit is fattening, i have been around the health and fitness industry for decades and never heard of it until i came across the raw food movement. Most fruit like vegetables is so low calorie that it would likely cause no issue.

Pretty decent article Andrewsmiling smiley
[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 06, 2011 12:59PM

Oh, those paleo people[rolls eyes]--good article, Andrew!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 06, 2011 09:37PM

I think most of fructose fear is unrational and unreasonable, making an association with fruit is faulty.

However, I heard about the condition of fructose intolerance. I found out about it from another webpage. I have never heard of it previously. Here is the description given:

"Fructose intolerance (Dietary Fructose Intolerance, or DFI) is a hereditary condition due to a deficiency of liver enzymes that metabolise fructose. The deficient enzyme is Fructose-1-phosphate aldolase, this means that the fructose cannot be further metabolised beyond fructose-1-phosphate....
This traps phosphates; which are needed to phosphorolyse glycogen phosphorolase to carry on to make glucose. therefore glucose cannot be made through the breakdown of glycogen nor from gluconeogenesis, resulting in severe hypoglycaemia. If fructose is ingested, vomiting, hypoglycaemia and eventually kidney failure will follow.

Dietary Fructose Intolerance should not be confused with fructose malabsorption, a deficiency of fructose transporter enzyme in the enterocytes, which leads to abdominal bloating, diarrhea and/or constipation. "

That is a specific medical diagnosis. I know little to nothing about it. How its caused, how its diagnosed or treated. Its curious to me that if fruit is the best food on earth, in theory nobody should have this condition. But maybe its caused from other factors other than fruit, like corn syrup, or other artificial ingredients called 'food'.

Do you think that this condition can be cured? With or without raw foods? I can only imagine that if anyone wanted to do raw foods with this condition they would still have to start with a fructose free diet. That would mean an emphasis on nonsweet fruits, vegetables, nuts, and perhaps algaes, maybe some other items.

So there is at least one case that is not irrational. but that is medically diagnosed, I imagine with a lot of lab work.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 07, 2011 12:12AM

Thanks for the information Mislu!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables