Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cucumber skin.
Posted by: jargon ()
Date: August 21, 2011 01:12AM

I've been told I should peel cucumber skin because of the way cucumbers are treated to keep them "fresh". Or, if I don't peel them, that I should scrub them very well.

How exactly are cucumbers treated? Both organic and conventional. I haven't noticed any difference between the two.

I like the skins, so I don't peel them in situations where the toughness of the skin won't become an issue in the "dish".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cucumber skin.
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 21, 2011 02:38AM

I prefer to eat pickling cucumbers raw and unpickled, as they cucumbers are not waxed, as that would make them difficult to pickle. Yum.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 21, 2011 02:25PM

Agree with Prana. The skins of some other varieties are waxed with petroleum derivatives that are almost impossible to wash off. I prefer pickling or "Syrian" cucumbers, but if I'm getting other kinds, I try to get only farmstand or home grown ones, as the skins are more tender and they are grown with minimal or no pesticides smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 22, 2011 09:15PM

Tam, I assume that Syrian cukes are Persian cukes. I like those. What I do is buy pickles versus cukes. The small fat ones are not waxed. It just came to me that it's probably because the shopkeepers know that people intend to pickle them and can't have that crap on them! That's why I started buying them; I realized that they were always unwaxed.

Next year grow some lemon cukes. Their skin seems the thinnest of all...Just had my first one today!smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 22, 2011 11:07PM

banana who,

Just went to the Chaldean grocer for those cucumbers and you are correct! I shall have to plant lemon cukes next year, as I have yet to see any in a shop hereabouts.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 23, 2011 02:02AM

I am right about the Persian being Syrian cukes? I have also heard a third name for them. The lemon ones are heirlooms so that's probably why we've never seen them before. Biodiversity: it's what's for dinner!smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables