Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw apartment living
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 24, 2011 09:29PM

I have an oportunity coming up, probably sooner than I expected, and almost against my will. I will probably be moving into my own small apartment with the next month to 6 mos. Potentially within the next two weeks.

So...I have an excellent oportunity to start again with raw foodism. Its actually something I am looking forward to. Its unfortunate that the only sucess I have had in keeping raw was when living alone. For several reasons, there are less temptations for me with snacks or other foods around, and certainly less critics telling me what I am to eat, or whats going to happen to me if I don't eat x,y, or z food to get a complete diet.

My real question is what can I do to maximize my experience from the start? I have previous experience living in my own place, and eating raw, but I often find it helpful to hear the experience of others. I will also need to keep the costs very low, so I probably will be eating alot of apples, pears, melons as those are usually lower cost, or that is what it seems. I will probably buy some spirulina and have a spoonful to two a day to round out my nutrition. I don't know if that is necessary, any suggestions will be helpful.

I will have to completely start from scratch, all over again. Its an exciting time and sometimes anxious time for me now with also starting school soon, and living alone. I will be doing walking most of the time, which will be good, I hope. The area I will be living in is well...not so great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw apartment living
Date: August 24, 2011 09:38PM

I will have less excuse than ever for anything. Kind of encouraging, kind of scary I guess. Total responsibility for what I eat. I guess I have always had that, but it will just be way, way more obvious to me now. I am afraid of the allied health program that i will be starting. I will be sharing a lot of time with a very small class. Like all day for about 2 years. I am just thinking that there probably will be some social events, and probably someone going to leave out a candy bowl or something. I am not looking forward to an ackward transition and turning down certain items, I am so fearful of that i don't want any probing questions as to 'why' or 'you can eat a little sometimes' and what not.

Its weird, I haven't even gone to class and I am already afraid of being ostracized for being 'different'.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: August 24, 2011 10:15PM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its weird, I haven't even gone to class and I am
> already afraid of being ostracized for being
> 'different'.
Make being 'different' a Plus rather than a Minus. We're all different in different ways.
My best advice would be to stay low key. Other Raw Vegans I've known are very difficult, and vocal, announcing to everyone who they are and what they eat.
Shhh....Mums the Word.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 25, 2011 01:29AM

Mislu,

You seem to be anticipating good things, as well as experiencing some anxiety, so try to focus on the former! I am of the feeling that the way you eat is not a big deal; people will ostracize you for announcing that you are a Satanist, but a vegetarian? I don't think so. And averring with, "Oh, I'm a vegetarian," or, "Oh, I eat mostly fruits and vegetables[which the average person will interpret to mean "vegetarian"]" isn't controversial and shouldn't make you feel as though it will be too bizarre for people to tolerate. Go easy on yourself--you need that energy to do well in school smiling smiley

Posted by: rawalice ()
Date: August 25, 2011 02:17PM

hi mislu,

you sound sad about moving into a place all by yourself. have you thought about trying to find a roomate? maybe then you could move to a nicer area.

if everything's already set in stone, would finding a roomate still be impossible?

i don't like the thought of living alone either, but then, if you're going to college, you'll probably be so busy with schoolwork you won't have time to feel lonely. beiseds, it's much cooler to invite someone over to your own place rather than your parents house or an apartment with 4 other people crowding it up.

i agree raw foodism can be hard. that's why i stick around 80%. it's just my way of trying to strike some kind of a balance/practicality with mainstream society in general. i don't know what your family is like, but my mom and inlaws are always doing stuff to ruin my diet. (they made it especially for meee..) (my willpower level also notwithstanding)

but then still, it sounds great to not have anyone to clean up after, no one else's diet habits to contend with.

i doubt anyone will ostracize you for being vegan/ raw foodist if that's what you are. variety is the spice of life. perhaps you'll be an inspiration to someone else. i'd just say don't be afraid to be yourself whatever it is and it's always helpful to carry around a little baggie of nuts, or raw food "candies"/snacks

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 25, 2011 02:40PM

Thats great you will be starting a new phase.
Living alone definitely has its advantages as far as food intake,for the reasons you mentioned.
One thing I would do right away is rearrange the shelves in your fridge.And take out the deli drawer.There is alot of wasted space in a fridge.I took out two shelves and the deli drawer in mine to make room for my melons and stacks of plastic bags with all my greens.Then get baskets and plastic shoe containers for storing everything.Walmart has those for dirt cheap.
Buy a bunch of ziplock bags,and a salad spinner,and a strainer.You will probably use these daily.Plus some big tupperware bowls too.
Also,for about $50 you can get the "Healthy Juicer" to crank out all your green juices.It will do all other veggies and fruits also.
One crucial thing that really helps me is to wash and put into bags all my produce right after I buy it.That way it is right there ready to grab.Trust me,it makes this easier to stick to.
One other thing is a GOOD knife.It will be the most used item in your kitchen.
Vinny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 02:43PM by eaglefly.

Date: August 25, 2011 07:10PM

Wow, Vinny, that was really helpful, and I've been living alone for a while now!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 25, 2011 09:53PM

im with vinny on getting your produce prepped and put away .. it makes it so much easier and less tedious than cleaning and cutting several times a day smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: August 26, 2011 03:54AM

Mislu, what part of the world do you live in btw??? i am just wondering because the allied health programs are VERY common lol, but i am sure its not in san diego, but i just thought i would check... Sometimes having a friend to talk to about things, and share ideas with helps!!! I am in san diego, and just wanted to make sure you werent in the same area!!! You can always contact me on here or by email if you need support!! YOu are going to do wonderful!! it is nerve wracking at first but i ensure you will get the hang of it, and be fine!!!!
Best of luck to you !!!!!

Much peace and love!!!
EarthAngel
Xoxo

Date: August 26, 2011 09:34PM

Earthangel,
I live in Northern New Jersey. In perhaps one of the most violent cities in the U.S. I've seen the neighborhood, but haven't spent any significant time in it yet. All my other classes has been in an extension of the school in another city. Its crap! scary! So there is a lot of stuff to figure out for me right now.

Raw foods is exciting, as I think it will be easier here and on my own, but getting a whole new life in general is a big step. I just had an arguement with my partner, and he said what I always suspected, but never heard him say, he just wants to be alone, and wants HIS own place also. Just such a &(*#@#&&#$* clean freak I can't stand it. He likes the idea of no cooking in the house as he can't stand the smell, but he actually loves to eat cooked food, and expensive at that. Just as long as its not in his home. I don't quite get the disconnect, why would you eat stuff that you don't like the smell? The arguement actually made me turned off to raw for a moment, wanting to cook up a storm in my new apartment just to 'get even' (whatever that means) But I need to function, and be healthy for my program.

Well, I hope that raw foods helps one emotionally, I am really feeling terrible, a lot of bad vibes right now with my partner and more especially his family. I have never felt comfortable with my Mother in Law, but amazingly things have gone south. I never thought that relations could have gotten worse, but it definately has.

Date: August 26, 2011 09:37PM

Rawalice,
Right at the moment I feel like I could really use a little more 'alone' time. The positive side of it means making more of my own decisions, not having to compromise, and having more of my own personal space. I don't think I am going to feel lonely very much, its true that studies and class time will take up most of the time. I am sure I will be glad to get away at the end of the day.

Date: August 26, 2011 09:44PM

Tamukha,
I don't know, when I lived in the pacific northwest, it was a big deal if anyone suspected anyone being on a special diet of any type. Well, at least in one work environement. Then when I got another job, there was a woman who was just transitioning to a dairy vegetarian. I was thinking to myself 'oh god, please don't go 'evangellical' and get really preachy about this stuff'. and then as expected she did!

I was so disappointed. But in actual fact I wasn't sure if she started it, or she was defending the diet. But there was a lot of silly pointless arguements about it, around it, and over it and under it. She wasn't even vegan, as she ate cheese about every day, and I think occationally had eggs and fish. She didn't give up alcohol completely, as she went out for beer with her friends,and she didn't give up candy, so I am not exactly sure her reasons for going vegetarian. But I do remember it was a big deal. Maybe it was because people thought that they were losing a friend or something.

Date: August 26, 2011 09:50PM

Eaglefly,

Awsome suggestions, just what I was looking for!

"baskets and plastic shoe containers" I am not sure what type, and what for exactly, but i suppose that I will find out soon enough. I was way into glass containers when I was living alone, maybe those will be easier. I was looking at apartments, mostly online at this point, and the photos had pretty nice kitchens, I think one had a dishwasher. I think that would make things easier, as I will probably be using plates now and again for cutting up melon or making salads.

"ziplock bags,and a salad spinner,and a strainer" great ideas! I will have to stock up on them, and find them on sale whenever possible.

Most places seem to have a stove top, and a stove. Any possible use for a raw foodist? Otherwise it seems like wasted space. I will probably make myself tea, and herbals from time to time so it won't be totally wasted. Maybe some other use will come up. I will most likely have a large fridge and a freezer I am sure I will be making use of both.

I think a good, but simple knife is in order, and a nice cutting board. I want to get a wood or a bamboo one.

Date: August 26, 2011 09:59PM

I will add that I have experienced a log of negative vibes from my partner and his family recently. Its too much to get into right now, but that is a really big push for leaving. In not so many words, I am being basically told that I am not welcome anymore. Its not a good feeling. I hope that I will forgive and forget once I am on my own. It makes me feel sad, but I feel like its also going to be the end of our relationship in a lot of ways.

Date: August 27, 2011 12:04AM

Oh, Mislu, I'm sorry. Please remember to value yourself and what you have to offer, in spite of what those closest to you aren't giving to you by way of good treatment right now. Hugs.

Date: August 27, 2011 12:35PM

Tamukha,
Thank you, its been a very weary putting up with a lot of stuff just to have a roof over my head. I am not sure why I am getting the brunt of everyones frustration, or so it seems. Especially my mother in law shes turned into a monster. I feel like I can't adaquately defend myself or bite back emotionally, as it might mean being told to leave immediately. So I am just thinking its best for me to find my own situation.

Date: August 27, 2011 03:08PM

i use my oven to store big things like watermelon and other melons till i get them cut up and in the fridge smiling smiley its a great , cool, dark place to keep things smiling smiley often you can find extra racks from people throwing out old stoves and Voila ! you got shelves in there smiling smiley !

Date: August 27, 2011 08:05PM

Jgunn,
Wow, great idea. A stove can become a ripening and storage area? I thought light was good for fruit. Still a great idea. I suppose I will have to put a note on the outside just to be sure that i don't end up baking something I didn't want to. Or worse completely forgetting that something is in there. Still a great idea!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 28, 2011 12:23AM

Mislu,
So sorry to hear about the forced move! But I know you-- you can make something wonderful out of this new venture, and it will turn into a golden opportunity.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 28, 2011 01:20AM

Baskets are for storing all of the plastic bags with your greens.
Very convenient to grab.
And the shoe containers I use for my celery.I can get two huge bunches in one.
Make the storage and moving of your veggies as efficient as possible,and I guarantee it will help in sticking to this.
Also I use a piece of "MDF" board as my cutting board,and one of those clear plastic sheets for the top cover,for all my cutting and chopping.
As far as a stove being wasted space,yes they really are.
Just top it off with yet another piece of MDF,and you have another 32" of counter space.
But remember to not turn on the burners!
Vinny

Date: August 28, 2011 02:30PM

Hi kwan!
Thank you! I don't know maybe I just am not seeing the whole picture here. There are days that are so difficult to bear, and then others where its ok. Maybe when i started the post people were just more on edge than usual.

Irene is upon us, and actually things are pretty peaceful, which I am surprised. But its kind of odd, I actually take some street flooding, and ceilings dripping over arguements. I guess its worse than I thought, a tropical storm is more peaceful? My mil is at her daughters, so its quiet for the most part, but she has been calling to see how things are over here. One room is flooded with water, so we have squishy carpeting.

Date: August 28, 2011 04:46PM

if you want ripening then yep .. heat and light are great ..if you want to slow ripening then darkness and cool is your choice smiling smiley

as melons dont tend to break down very quickly (until they are cut) the oven's a great place to store them .. it stays pretty cool in there (long as you dont turn it on !! haha grinning smiley

i saw a blog once this lady turned the inside of her oven into the place she kept her worm bin for composting in there .. cool .. dark (just how the worms like it ..) and out of the way smiling smiley everyday she just opened the door an tossed the stuff in the bin and presto .. black gold for her plants smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2011 04:49PM by Jgunn.

Date: August 28, 2011 05:57PM

Jgunn,
Another fantastic idea!

Date: August 29, 2011 12:30PM

Last night I looked up some recipes for raw squash. Very interesting sounding. A number of them call for a food processor, which I left behind when I moved. And one calls for a dehydrator.

Can an oven on low setting be used as a dehydrator? Or will it end up really being baked, but at low temp?

I also am not really interested in cleaning up a juicer or a food processor if I can help it. So, what kinds of food and tools will I need for the easiest clean up and the least amount of space and expense?

I am thinking just a good cutting board, a good paring knife, a large spoon and a small spoon. Some plates, maybe a bowl or two. Definately a salad spinner. Any other suggestions?

Date: August 29, 2011 03:01PM

The easiest way to live the raw life is to buy only fruits and veggies that you can chop up,grab,and eat.
Then the only thing you need is knives,cutting board,and bags and containers.

Date: August 29, 2011 03:14PM

If u do everything with the feeling of happiness,there wil be no task too difficult to perform - Sai Baba smiling smiley

Date: August 29, 2011 03:30PM

Eaglefly,
What would be on the list of easy fruits and veggies? I can think of most fruits, except for coconut, as I find those difficult to open. The problem with durian is just the smell. I think lettuce and celery are pretty easy for veggies, and similiar items. Carrots ok,

I can't actually think of many other difficult vegetable or fruit.

Date: August 29, 2011 04:38PM

Good one Jodi.
I take that attitude everytime I am cleaning out my juicer,bags,etc...
I will not let the pain of cleaning this stuff every day stop me from being able to consume the fresh foods and juices.

I would say the easiest fruits and veggies would be anything you can just grab,wash,and eat.The next level would be any you have to chop off something from,like the end of a carrot.Or peel like a banana or orange.Then the next level would be things like pineapple which requires alot of cutting and chopping.
Personally I dont bother with coconuts,and I have heard that durians stink,but never had one.

Vin

Date: August 29, 2011 09:04PM

I think thats a good definition of easy to more difficult. I would add squash to more difficult things. I made some raw pumpkin pie, more like raw pumpkin pudding. I don't know if I will ever bother with it again. A lot of work.

My partner likes the recipe, but he is worried about the calorie content, which must be alot, I must admit. Nuts, coconut cream, raisins, dates, and squash. Its probably not a great combination of foods either.

I would much rather just have melon, but I grew some squash this summer. I am not sure why I planted them. I was thinking it was going to be watermelon, but then...squash.

I just thought of another little problem with the area I will be eventually living in, the grocery stores are not good. There are several in the area, most of which made the online listing, but taking a look at the photos, they look like a liquor shop that has a few loaves of bread. There is at least one major supermarket, but the reviews are not good. So I might have to make a weekly trek to a better supermarket, where I don't know.

Date: August 30, 2011 08:26PM

I drove in to look at apartments today. I saw the outside of two apartments, one which I would share with two other people. That one is in a good neighborhood. The other would be a studio of my own, but it was in a very, very bad neighborhood. I felt very disappointed, as I really wanted a studio of my own, its more affordable, but I am in no mood to dodge bullets every time I leave home, or go home.

I didn't have time to go to the third location. I will put in an application to the roomate situation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables