Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw flour I can make that isn't grains or nuts?
Posted by: Jesaroj ()
Date: September 29, 2006 07:41PM

For instance, spelt...can that even be made myself? Are there spelt berries or something? I agree with the avoidance of grains for the most part, and I know spelt is gluten free, but does it have other addictive components like wheat and other grains do?

The reason I'm asking is that I thought I maybe could make some raw cookies or crackers (dehydrated) that use some kind of flour but not nuts for the times when I don't want something to taste like nuts. I'm pretty sure this is a silly assumption of mine but I thought it was worth asking. Does anyone make raw desserts or crackers out of something that isn't nuts or opiod grains?

Thanks everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw flour I can make that isn't grains or nuts?
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: September 29, 2006 09:21PM

Isn't spelt a grain?

The only things I can think of would be either blending up a yam and dehydrating it, then grinding it up to make flour, or doing the same with corn (I can't remember if corn is a grain or not). I use flax seeds, but I've been told they are grain as well. Maybe hemp seed flour?

Of course, you can still make raw cookies or crackers with any type of flour.

By the way, what's an opiod grain?

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 29, 2006 09:40PM

You can make a flour from flax seeds. The raw torillas are made from flax flour and avocados.

Posted by: innerview ()
Date: September 30, 2006 04:28AM

spelt is wheat. sorry :-(

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: September 30, 2006 05:06AM

I make tortillas out of fresh corn. In the Cuisinart, process the kernals into a batter consistency, spread it on teflex (or bakers paper) sheets and dehydrate it. Corn may be considered a grain, though.

I suppose you could do the same with other vegetables. It would be fun to experiment with that.

Date: September 30, 2006 05:20AM

Yeah, sorry, I know spelt is a grain...I just meant that maybe it isn't as bad on the digestive system as wheat. And I've read in a number of places that wheat (or is it grains in general?) contains opioid properties meaning that they are addictive.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 30, 2006 09:00PM

spelt does have gluten. not as much as wheat, but enough to aggravate gluten allergies.

i'm with bryan, flax is the best. though i suppose all seeds could work. though i wouldn't do sesame.

i've read about the opiates qualities of grains too, and i think it is all, but wheat is the most prevalent in our society. sprouting any grain you wish will help, but grains are grains, if you're sensitive, don't mess with them. if not, experiment.

i think amaranth (sp?) is a seed, and dry like a grain. hemp is wonderful. but flax is the most satisfying. i dehydrated a flax/carrot/avocado mix the other day and found it better than most crackers/bread that i remember. but i haven't eaten bread in over five years so i might be delusional.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: October 02, 2006 04:19AM

You could try sprouted buckwheat - which (I think I read somewhere) is actually a seed.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 02, 2006 08:07AM

sodoffsocks asked:

<<By the way, what's an opiod grain? >>

its grainsthat got opiates in it
uhhh... hope thathelps

opiates:mindalteringandaddictive

Posted by: Holly ()
Date: October 04, 2006 07:14AM

Excuse my naivety. How are raw wheats and other flours bad for the digestive system (excluding gluten allergies and opioid effects)?

Date: October 04, 2006 02:37PM

alive! - thank you...I did try buckwheat (the day after I started this thread) - and it's really great! It made a great cereal and I'm going to try grounding it for other recipes. And yes, I did read it was a seed also.

Holly - I think the reason wheat and other grains are avoided is because of gluten allergies and addictive effects. That's what makes them bad. And I'd say that I myself do fine with them, but I was super addicted to bread before going raw, so that kinda partly proves to me that I'd rather use something else. Another reason I'm trying to find alternatives is that my husband's digestion is very sensitive and I figure there's no need exposing it to items that often cause trouble for other people. Before we went raw, he was restricting all kinds of foods from his diet (stuff the whole family has now given up like milk, eggs, meat...) and it is already SO much better. We've been eating this way for about 1.5 months. Buckwheat is great becaue it doesn't have to be soaked for DAYS like the wheat berries I sprouted did. And the wheat was still pretty hard and just didn't taste very good to me.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: October 05, 2006 07:41AM

I only soak the wheatberries for 12 hours and then sprout for 1-2 days. When only soaked, they are very hard. Sprouted, soft as a baby-pillow.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 06, 2006 07:43PM

You can buy coconut flour.
[www.tropicaltraditions.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables