Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

any way to keep package of salad mix fresh?
Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: September 07, 2011 12:25AM

Hi all,

Most time, I buy 3 packages of Organic salad mix from whole store Costco and store them in refrigerator(for one week use).
I finish one package in 2 days and other two packages always rotten after 2 days.
Can anyone share how to keep these packages of salad mix fresh after 2 days?

Thank you for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: any way to keep package of salad mix fresh?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 07, 2011 04:09PM

It's a drag, but I usually empty the contents out onto a sanitized countertop in the kitchen, and with squeaky clean dry hands, remove and discard any leaf that is wilting or slimy--that adage about one bad apple spoiling the bunch applies to packaged lettuce, too. Then I put a sheet of natural paper towel on the bottom of the container and refill it gently with the lettuce. I then cover the top of the lettuce gently with another sheet of paper towel, replace the lid of the package snugly, and turn the package upside down to store in the fridge. I rotate it every time I remove some lettuce from it; that way, any excess moisture from the leaves isn't pooling around them.

Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: September 07, 2011 09:09PM

Hi Tamara,

I can not wait to try this and is Bounty paper towel OK?

Thank you.

Date: September 08, 2011 11:47AM

I don't know what dyes they use in Bounty, but the one I use is a regional brand and it's bleached without chlorine and has no dyes in it. If you can get a small roll of a natural one at the health food store, I think that would be better, but really, for this purpose, I think Bounty will do.

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: September 09, 2011 03:47AM

You can go the cloth route, too. I bought a gigantic pack of white washcloths and have used these for years to keep veggies dry in the fridge. I throw them in with salads, wrap them around herbs like basil and cilantro, and stick 'em inside bags with pretty much any produce.

Date: September 09, 2011 12:34PM

Ah, good idea, CJJ.

Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: September 09, 2011 08:44PM

The best way to keep a package of Greens fresh, is to eat a bag a day, and only buy enough for a day at a time. There's something Spiritual about not storing food.
I use a whole bag of mixed greens in my Green Smoothies......WY

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 09, 2011 11:38PM

hmm I'd say try the disks and bags

[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

Give it a shot if it is cost effective for you. Not mutually exclusive of Tamara's method.

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 10, 2011 09:57PM

Hi, I've also found that squeezing out as much air as possible helps. You can apply the same principle for keeping mushrooms fresher in the fridge, wrap your paper bag full of mushy's or loose mushy's in a cloth hand towel or dish cloth. The cloth absorbs the moisture, and my mushy's last ages longer than they did.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables