Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Has anyone ever had raw kelp noodles?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 11, 2011 01:22AM

I just received an order from a raw vendor and they were part of it. I won't say the brand but I wonder if there's just one right now. My thoughts? They had a nice texture, IMO. My boyfriend liked them and said they were "crunchy" and I had read that before but it's not crunchy like chow mein noodles or something. It's definitely noodle-ish, which I liked. The only thing I wondered about was when I first tasted it, there was a bitter aftertaste. They said to rinse them first and so I did it and it was slightly better but still present very faintly. I made peanut noodles and it was pretty good! It's just very pricey. Does anyone know if oriental markets sell them? I have never thought to look.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone ever had raw kelp noodles?
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 11, 2011 04:19AM

You need to rinse them really really well otherwise they are yucky to eat. I had them long time ago and although this was an exciting experience, I found them too salty and actually uncomfortable for my body.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: samanthalee ()
Date: September 12, 2011 03:30PM

I usually rinse them and also let them soak in room temp./warm water for about 20-30 minutes; they still stay a bit crunchy, but I never noticed a bitter aftertaste. I think the things that softens them up a bit would be a generous squeeze of lemon (or a sauce with lemon in it).

I work in NYC's Chinatown and have desperately tried looking for them at all the local grocers/markets with absolutely no luck. I've only seen them online and at raw specialty shops, and the company is always Sea Tangle.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 12, 2011 09:10PM

I wonder why the kelp noodles aren't green like kelp? The package says they're raw, but what process did they use to take out all the green? The company does sell green kelp noodles also, but those are soaked in green tea.

I wrote the company and asked them how the noodles are processed to remove the green kelp color, but they never replied.

Does anyone know?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 12, 2011 11:06PM

Suncloud, I wonder that myself. It makes me think that bitter taste is somehow relatedsad smiley

Samanthalee: Thanks for the info!smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 13, 2011 05:38PM

Like samanthalee, I marinate mine in lemon juice. Softens them. Kohler doesn't like them. [www.youtube.com]. I don't mind them so much, though this scare bear video from greger has me swearing off kelp and using dulse for the time being. [nutritionfacts.org] As Tamuka will tell ya, Greger can go fast and lose with the scare tactics (he also tends to get a little gross with some of the vids, but still a valuable source). That said, keeping to dulse and arame for my sea veggies and a little nori when I want veggie sushi.

But for now, my case of Sea Tangles stays tangled. Best.

Paul

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 13, 2011 06:05PM

Ha-ha, Paul! Also, "Sea Tangles" doesn't strike me as the best name, marketing-wise. To me it conjures up images from Welsh stories of siren-like creatures with messy, kelpy hair, wailing, "Come into the deeps, little giiiiirrrrrl!" Creepy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2011 06:06PM by Tamukha.

Date: September 13, 2011 06:22PM

Just watched the Greger vid and really do not understand how iodine toxicity from food can be induced--it's not one of the toxic halides[fluoride, bromide] and when your receptors are full, they're full, and your body discards the excess. The reason for the soymilk being processed with konbu is that the konbu acts as a mitigator of the goitergens found in soy--who doesn't know this? Who? Someone who has never known a Korean or Japanese person? Either what I learned in high school and college bio classes was wrong, or I'm imagining feeling better on two years of iodine supplements. Greger appears unaware that:
a.) iodine values are woefully inadequate to prevent hypothyroidism, so assessing toxicity by blood analysis is inaccurate
b.) toxic halides are present in our food--bromated flour--as well as our water, which is why so many endocrinologists are seeing ever more cases of hypothyroidism,
c.) Funny funny about Namibia, but we have iodine poor soil here in the Midwest, which is why we were known as the Goiter Belt in the early 20th Century

I suppose Greger would think I should be dead by now. This will be the title of my autobiography: I Should Be Dead by Now. If George Carlin didn't already claim it . . .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2011 06:24PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: September 13, 2011 07:56PM

I guess the bottom line is whether there is anything to be gained or lost from eating kelp ( or kombu) on a raw food vegetarian diet? If you say, at dulse flakes, instead, would that matter? I like arame too. my favorite sea veggie bar none. Doesn't appear on Greger's sea veggie hit list. But that list may not be what it appears to be. We need to hear from Tamara and others. But in the meantime, not be afraid of some dulse flakes or arame. Or wakame... so don't blame me!! smiling smiley

p.s. Tamara does that make up for the Ernest Borgnine figure? let me know winking smiley

Paul

Date: September 13, 2011 09:36PM

Paul,

I really do think that iodine poor soil is such a problem that it is good to supplement with seaweed in small amounts. Using it for sodium, I think, is more problematic. Since many of us eat brassicas, which can cause problems with maintaining iodine stores, and because one would have to eat an absurd amount of parsley or watercress to compensate, seaweed(or supplementing with iodine) is just easier. I really like arame, now that you remind me, so I'm gonna rehydrate some tonight!

P.S. I'd forgotten about Pokemon Borgnine. Now I remember again. Thanks. Thanks a bunch. moody smiley

Posted by: EvolveWithFlavor ()
Date: September 18, 2011 01:13AM

They are really freaking awesome....

stay posted for Chef Sal's recipes on that...

His is really a BIG, BIG treat, one that he originally served during his classes and which I LOVED ALOT.

Information on how an Award-Winning Chef Stays Young (Looking at Least in his early 50's) at Age 73

For information on that, see ...

[www.evolvewithflavor.com]

For more specific Weight Loss Information, see ...

For more specific Raw Food for Dogs Information, see ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables